December Challenge - Write Every Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
Raindrop - your technique for building characters sounds fantastic! I always find it hard to pinpoint their motivations and short-comings. It sounds like you have a great handle on things now.
Ajaye - good luck at reaching 31! Even if you're behind, I bet you can do it.
Layla - two out of three ain't bad, right? Good luck on still getting those tasks done - even the majority is far better than zero!
Esmae - fantastic! And thanks, I'm excited to show them around, and I think they are really happy to get to see where my husband grew up (and meet my mother-in-law for the first time). It's promising to be a great end to 2017!
Daniel - way to go! You're moving along well, despite setbacks. Wishing you good luck in January!

I sat myself down today and forced myself to get two entire chapters edited in WIP #1. That brings me to a grand total of 64 out of 191 pages finished in draft two, which isn't bad given that I only started the editing phase at the beginning of December. One of my swap partners asked if I had any books published because she liked my writing style so much, which was a wonderful surprise Christmas gift, and it's been really motivating to get this second draft done. Slow progress, but definitely moving forward! :) Happy end of 2017 to everyone in case I don't end up being back before the New Year!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Day 26:

- Finished reading book #12
- Wrote a 476-word short for the Countdown
- Started working on letter of intent to apply for promotion

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
Day 27 - 1,331 words. Nice and round. I was hoping to cross the 70k mark but I ran out of gas. 4 days, 7.5 scenes...

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Sage- Yay! Good luck with the promotion.
Pterofan- That's just cruel, LOL.
Esmae- nice symmetry!

Soooo much research today, my head is bursting. Fun, though.

The plot is moving forward nicely, too. I've written a new scene, outlined the final scenes (OMG!), and did some "interviews" with a couple of minor characters, who actually had very interesting things to say. I don't usually track my word count, but I checked today, out of curiosity, and I've just burst past the 120k words mark for this manuscript. My chainsaw is going to get a real workout with this one!

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Keep it up everyone! We'll do better next year!

Today:

1633 words written.
1000 words edited.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on keeping at it, katy & 2 chapters no less!
way to go Sage!
nice work Ptero and LOL
Whoa Esmae - you are killing it!
wow, Raindrop, fantastic work!
Daniel - great work as usual!!

Day 27: about 25 lines in two WIPs; did two good self-care items, for my job/income item - sent my cover letter & portfolio to two people to review before I submit it. 3/3 - back on the wagon!

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
Day 28 - 1,667 words, just like November aaaaall over again. Two and a half-ish scenes down, five to go, but I crossed the 70k mark. This is me, trying to tell myself back in August that we really should have made a better attempt to NOT be down to the wire like this. :e2Order:

Alas.

Katy, you're making so much progress. Enjoy the holiday!

Sage, you're burning through the book-reading with enviable speed. I get through one book about every 4 days right now. Good luck with the letter.

Raindrop, you can send some of those words my way. Once they've been sawed off I should be able to pack them with glue and apply them to my WIP, right? What, you mean that's not how it works...? Boo.

Daniel, wow! Burning up that word count! Very nice!

And Layla, you're killing it. 25 lines? AND all the other things? Gold stars for you.

For everyone. Except that random spammer.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today:

2470 words written.
1107 words edited.

*UPDATED*

I just finished an essay for a class-- in addition to everything.

So...+ 996 words.

3466 words written today!

:O

= D

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Esmae - NICE work! You've been in the 1K+ club for some days running now, right?
And Daniel! way to go both of you.

Day 28: I did about 10 lines - and I had the solution to a story-stuck problem come clear to me today after chipping away it it for an embarrassing length of time; I started a 'functional' resume - that was part of the (fantastic) feedback I got from the two people who offered to help, and I did one tiny self-care/responsibility item - so 3/3 w00t.

Keep on keepin on yall!

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
Day 29 - 1,131 words. Two more scenes down, three to go. Two-ish days left in December. Definitely going down to the wire!

Daniel, wow! Super productive writing day. :D Keep it up!

Layla, a few days in a row, yeah. They're really crappy words at this point but at this point I really cannot afford to care. I figure as long as I get a sense of the scene on the page now I can go back and fix it later. Hurray for solutions though! It feels really good when you figure out how to unravel some of those pesky knots that like to appear. You've hit 3/3 on your daily goals for most of the month, haven't you? That's fantastic!

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Raindrop, you can send some of those words my way. Once they've been sawed off I should be able to pack them with glue and apply them to my WIP, right? What, you mean that's not how it works...? Boo.
:ROFL:I wish!

2,700 words today. I actually counted them, for a change... because... I finished the 1st draft of my 2nd novel! I'm *so* chuffed!

So, hey, I'm not just a one-book wonder. This is my second one, and it's rubbish at this stage, but I don't care. I did it again!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Esmae - you keep turning those words out! way to go! (& thx for the kind words on my 3/3 rate :) )
Ptero - way to keep at it!
Whoa! Raindrop - knocking it out of the park! & congratulation on #2!
And then Daniel updated - wow. That's just amazing!

Day 29: wrote about 10 lines; wrote to a house-mate person; got back to the resume, a bit of the cover letter v2, AND got back to the Javascript training! (It would have been really easy to say 'I've done enough, I'm tired, I'm stressed I'll do it later…) - thats 3/3 again - keeping at it!

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
Day 30 - A sneeze over 1500 words. Two scenes down, one scene left! Ahahahah! As you can probably deduce from the word count these are really bare-bones sketches of scenes and when I get around to revisions they will need quite a bit more than some spackle and tape. Oh well.

Hoping to get my characters out of bed before the new year arrives.

:ROFL:

Raindrop, that's awesome! Congratulations! That's probably not the best feeling in the world but it is totally an achievement. Time to kick back and relax for the rest of the year, huh?

Daniel, wow! Are you on a quest to beat your last day's wordcount or something? I'm in awe!

Layla, keep it up! It's the days when the temptation to say 'I've had enough' that are the biggest accomplishment to push through. It's fighting through that natural resistance that makes it easier the next time. It also sucks, but hurray for you for making it to the end.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, too much going on to do anything concrete. A few minor good ideas here and there.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone, glad to see so many sticking with it! The January thread is up.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Day 27

- Wrote a 598-word short for Countdown

Day 28

- Wrote a 943-word short for the Countdown
- Added ~ 100 words to Seckrit Solstice story

Day 29

- Finished reading books #13 & 14
- Wrote a 821-word short for the Countdown
- Finished and send off my letters of intent and resume for promotions

Day 30

- Finished reading book # 15. 1 to go
- Wrote a 508-word short for the Countdown

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Hey Everyone....back from my trip. As expected, I didn't get any writing done, but I plan to join everyone in the January challenge. I just wanted to pop in and wish anyone who is celebrating it a very Happy New Year!! See you all in 2018!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo Esmae - almost there? (wait! Done?! way to end the year!!!)
keithy! Good to see you!
Magnus, you're the best!
Like a boss, Sage
DL - congrats on a nice holiday :D

Day 30 I … opted out…

Day 31 about 25 lines in 2 stories
javascript training, & one (simple) item in the care/responsibility category
3/3 - not setting records, but I'm keeping at it…

Felicitations &c for the New Year!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Dec 31

- Wrote a 802-word short for the Countdown. That word count is about on par for my average
- Finished reading book #16 for the month, which was book #100 for the year!

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 29 - 341

Day 30 - 445

Day 31 - 220

Okay, so I never did hit 1000 words in a single day. I still wrote every day. I call that a win.

And yes, my couple wrapped up their, um, activities. The story can now advance. Finally.

Thanks for everyone's encouraging words. You people are great!

Status
Not open for further replies.