Infinity War (AKA Avengers #3) Speculation/spoilers

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
So here's the first official trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B65hW9YYY5A

It's a lot to unpack. There are scenes in space, NYC and Wakanda, meaning that Black Panther is going to likely be the direct set-up movie for this one. Bucky's back. Cap's gone dark and beardy, Widow's gone blonde. No Hawkeye in the trailer, but he's in the team shots from Vanity Fair.

Looks like Thanos arrives with the gauntlet and no stones - or at most the power stone (the purple one from the first guardian's movie, which wouldn't bode well for Nova Corps) - as he's shown slipping the Tesseract / blue stone into place and it's only the second stone in his collection.

Going from the leaked opening with Thor landing on the Guardians' "Milano" ship, and the after credits scene from Ragnarok where a ship (likely Thanos' Sanctuary) overtakes the Asgardian refugees' ship, and the fact that there's plenty of footage of Bruce Banner / Hulk in this trailer, I think the Loki scene is a misdirection. He obviously took the Tesseract at the end of Ragnarok, no surprise there, and Sanctuary tracked it down. But rather than the apparent surrender of the Tesseract to Thanos that the trailer seems to show, I think what we'll get is Thor trying to be heroic and being ejected from the Asgardian ship, then Loki stepping up and using the Tesseract to transport the survivors (those are Asgardian-dressed bodies he's stepping over), including himself, Valkyrie, and Bruce back to Earth.

It's likely from this teleportation that Bruce / Hulk falls through the Sanctum Santorum, which is where the naked Bruce is in the basement with Strange and Wong looking down on him, perplexed. I doubt that Loki could simply walk into the Sanctum after his first encounter with Strange, so Bruce may have been the only way to get a foot in the door.

They show Thor in a ring similar to the portal/stargate that appears over New York, so maybe that's how the Guardians get there.

I have to wonder if Peter's going to out himself as Spidey by leaving the bus directly - which could be cool.

Obviously things aren't going to go well with Vision, seeing as he's got the mind stone embedded in his forehead, but it looks like he and Wanda are at least going to get a moment or two in this one. (unless that's an illusion) And frankly, I think seeing a truly pissed-off Scarlet Witch in the aftermath of watching her sweetie ripped apart would be something to see. (remember, this is the woman who - in the comics - more than decimated the mutant population with three words out of grief for her child)

My big question is whether the final gem is with Heimdall, making it the source of his "sight" and oddly colored eyes, or if it's in Wakanda, making it the reason Thanos' forces amass to attack that particular country.

I'd have to guess that this one will end with Thanos assembling the gauntlet in full. (I'm curious about the show-runners describing this as Thanos' story / an anti-hero story). We'll likely see the death or near-death of a few major players. The woman who plays Hawkeye's wife is in this one, so a funeral or hospital scene wouldn't be out of the question. Karen Gillan (Nebula) says she's only in one scene for a short while, so she's a likely candidate for death. The obvious choices for martyrdom are Iron Man and Captain America, though I think they'd kill Pepper off before Tony to tick him off and make him stupid (likewise, a bad injury to Spidey would make him reckless), however the kid who was in Iron Man 3 is also in this one, which brings up another possible funeral scenario. I'm pretty sure Cap's a gonner, but maybe not until Avengers 4, leaving Bucky or Falcon to pick up the shield. Ant-Man and Wasp have a sequel, so neither of them will die. I can't see them killing the Widow, and I doubt Thor's in danger. Loki, maybe, as the bow on a redemption arc. Valkyrie almost certainly, as she wants to atone for the deaths of her fellow-riders in battle. No way will they take out Strange or the Hulk, but I'm not sure about Wong.

One notable character who's MIA is Hela from Ragnarok, suspected of being Thanos' "Lady Death" in the MCU. Maybe they're holding her presence for effect. And I think it would be hilarious if Phil Coulson finally got his "back-from-the-dead" moment in the last minute or so of this one. He just walks in and asks "What did I miss while I was in Tahiti?"

Basically, all I want out of this one is one scene of Tony and Rocket in full-on engineering mode, shooting one-liners at each other and being brilliant. And one scene of Gamora, Widow, and Valkyrie kicking butt. Give me those, and I'm a happy nerdling.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
not really digging the blond Black Widow. she's better as a red!

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Each time they change Widow's hair I hate it until the movie, when Scarlett pulls me back in.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The easy reason for the hair is that Widow's on the run and hiding. I think the actual reason is that we've hit that point in the series when the actors realize they can't be fired or replaced and all put their foot down when it comes to bleaching, dying or covering their natural hair. So, Widow's a blonde, Thor gets a hair cut, and Cap goes darker and keeps his beard.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I'm just curious if those big gauntlets Cap is wearing are going to be energy shields. That would be pretty badass.

I also really want Agents of Shield to merge with the MCU again. I think it could be, since the new season has them set in space. It's also been long enough and they've been through enough that it would be funny for Coulson to come back and for a moment forget the Avengers all think he's dead still.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Erh, Scarlett's "natural" hair is light brown with blond highlights, not red. You can tell this from her movies when she'd just hit her teens.

I love red hair, probably because when I was 8 & 9 I had a little red-haired friend. (She was a strong, smart little girl often leading me into trouble. I miss her still.) Fave redhead actresses: Amy Adams, Jessica Chastain, Isla Fisher, Bryce Dallas Howard come immediately to mind.

Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
So totally not interested in this. I'll wait until part 2 is available then rent part 1 for $2, then maybe just give up on both of them if the first 5 minutes don't grab me.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't watched the trailer yet, but my understanding is Adam Warlock & Silver Surfer will not be making an apperance.

*Wah! My childhood is ruined!!* ;)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
They set up Adam Warlock in the last Guardian's movie. He'll probably show up in the next Guardians movie, then be part of the Infinity storyline in Avengers #4.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, seems I was misinformed in this case. Well, I keep saying 'This will be the thing that makes me finally sit down and watch a superhero movie', so far, no joy. But I have a deep, decades long bromance with Adam, so this might do it!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
My feels after the new trailer:

It looks like we're seeing pieces of a multi-pronged attack. Team Cap head to Wakanda in hopes of finding the final stone (still likely with Heimdall) to save Vision. They team-up with Black Panther, The Dora Milaje, and Shuri (whose palm hologram indicates she may be treating Vision) to face down the Outriders and the Black Order. (Shuri may even be working on a way to destroy the gauntlet or defeat the stones.) The shot of Thanos with Cap shows that he's only got 2 of the stones - purple and blue, so that's the space stone (Tesseract) and power stone (bye-bye Xandar)

The space scenes may be Iron man and the Guardians (& Spidey?) trying to get to the Nova Corps on Xandar, for help, without realizing it's too late. Xandar is probably the wrecked planet shown in some of the earlier trailer's footage. Also from that early footage is the device we see Thor inside of (the ring thing); that's probably a wormhole generator to get The Milano to Earth. I'm sticking with my guess that Loki's tentatively on the side of the angels for now, as the posters don't group him with Thanos' people. They show him with Thor in one of the "hero" columns. I think he'll use the Tesseract to get Bruce, Valkyrie, Heimdall and as many of the Asgardian survivors as possible to Earth, but Thanos will kill him. I also think the person Tony's mourning so horribly is Peter Parker.

They're still not showing Hawkeye, though that photo spread of the MCU showed him in his Ronin armor. He's going to get a hero moment. The shot of Bucky angrily running in during the Wakanda battle is probably part of the same scene with Thanos and Cap going toe-to-toe. Bucky sees it and charges at him. It looks like the hulkbuster armor's also in Wakanda, also probably in that scene, but not likely with Tony inside. It's either remote controlled or someone else is in there. They could actually be going for a Riri/Ironheart nod, with Shuri improving a suit and wearing it herself - maybe a vibranium suit - but her own tech is already pretty awesome, so my guess is that Barton's in the armor. Having it open is his big reveal moment.

Meanwhile, Dr. Strange is still in New York as the last line of defense. Should the others fail, his job is to hit the reset so that it's impossible for Thanos to get the time stone and complete the gauntlet. He's standing inside the sanctum, wearing the eye, so he's got to turn back time to undo most, if not, everything we see happen in the movie. That's probably one of the final shots. Thanos, ready to "snap his fingers" and destroy the world, but Doctor Strange cuts him off.

Blue Tortoise

Registered
Reaction score
My feels after the new trailer:Meanwhile, Dr. Strange is still in New York as the last line of defense. Should the others fail, his job is to hit the reset so that it's impossible for Thanos to get the time stone and complete the gauntlet. He's standing inside the sanctum, wearing the eye, so he's got to turn back time to undo most, if not, everything we see happen in the movie. That's probably one of the final shots. Thanos, ready to "snap his fingers" and destroy the world, but Doctor Strange cuts him off.

I like this idea a lot. Of course, its also possible thanos gets ahold that particular green infinity stone somehow. The biggest question for me i think is how and when will Brie Larson pop up as the overpowered captain marvel? If Adam Warlock is off the table, who's the last minute trump card?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It may be time to begin the speculation on who is going to be in the Avengers Dead Pool.

My guesses are Captain America, Iron Man, the Vision and either the Falcon or War Machine.

Meanwhile...Hawkeye? Hello? Bueller? :e2steer:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I think they're all, or almost all, going to bite it - temporarily.

From the Avengers, Cap's being telegraphed, so I don't think he'll die. Much was made of the kid from Iron Man 3 being in the cast list, leading to the assumption of a funeral. I could see Tony dying, but making his voice the "Jarvis" of the Iron Spider suit, too.

From Dr. Strange, Wong's the only one besides Strange who's slated for this one.

From Thor, Loki. Maybe Heimdall, if he's got the last stone. The scene with Thanos smushing Thor's head is likely the lead-in to him being flung into space to splat on the Milano's windshield, so he's safe.

From Guardians, Drax is the most likely candidate. Nebula's actress says she's in one scene of this, so it's either the flashback with Gamora or her death trying to ambush Thanos.

From Spiderman - Peter Parker, at least temporarily. He and (maybe) Banner are the only ones Tony would be so distraught over.

From Black Panther - some of the Dora Milaje. Maybe M'Baku, or W'Kabi (for a redemption moment).

Captain Marvel. She's not been seen, yet, but as her main story is set in the 90's, this could be her final stand moment.

I don't think Vision's going to die. There's a scene in the previous trailer that shows him (apparently) walking in without his infinity stone, but still otherwise purple, etc. They'll take him to Wakanda like Cap did with Bucky.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think they're all, or almost all, going to bite it - temporarily.

From the Avengers, Cap's being telegraphed, so I don't think he'll die. Much was made of the kid from Iron Man 3 being in the cast list, leading to the assumption of a funeral. I could see Tony dying, but making his voice the "Jarvis" of the Iron Spider suit, too.

From Dr. Strange, Wong's the only one besides Strange who's slated for this one.

From Thor, Loki. Maybe Heimdall, if he's got the last stone. The scene with Thanos smushing Thor's head is likely the lead-in to him being flung into space to splat on the Milano's windshield, so he's safe.

From Guardians, Drax is the most likely candidate. Nebula's actress says she's in one scene of this, so it's either the flashback with Gamora or her death trying to ambush Thanos.

From Spiderman - Peter Parker, at least temporarily. He and (maybe) Banner are the only ones Tony would be so distraught over.

From Black Panther - some of the Dora Milaje. Maybe M'Baku, or W'Kabi (for a redemption moment).

Captain Marvel. She's not been seen, yet, but as her main story is set in the 90's, this could be her final stand moment.

I don't think Vision's going to die. There's a scene in the previous trailer that shows him (apparently) walking in without his infinity stone, but still otherwise purple, etc. They'll take him to Wakanda like Cap did with Bucky.

The problem with your logic is it makes good Marvel comic book sense, but it does not make good Marvel movie sense. It will come down to what it always comes down to. Cash money, honey.

Avengers: Infinity War is in two parts and they are the last films many of the Avengers are under contract for. For Robert Downey, Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johanssen, Mark Ruffalo, and Jeremy Renner this is their last go-round before cashing out or cashing in with a new contract.

Downey is 52 years old and he's not cheap. Evans has stated he wants to move to directing. Hemsworth just came off a financially successful Thor: Ragnarok. ScarJo finally has a Black Widow solo flick in the works, so she's not going anywhere. Ruffalo and Renner are not getting stand-alone Hulk or Hawkeye flicks, but they'd probably sign on the dotted line again for a few more installments.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is coming, so forget any of them taking a dirt nap except for Nebula who's not part of the team. Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Spider-Man and Ant-Man are all safe as mother's milk. It has no impact on the Avengers if Wong, Bucky, Heimdall or Shuri got whacked. However, it's not as though the Scarlet Witch or the Vision have any real future prospects and particularly when the thing that gives the Vision life is the thing Thanos is dead set on taking for himself.

I can see one or two deaths in the first installment and a few more in the second. Mostly for those characters that have been around for a while and would cost Disney a pretty penny to sign to a new contract. That's my best guess.

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
I reckon Thor and Hulk will be killed unfortunately.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure about Thor. Someone elsewhere pointed out that the "skull-crushing" scene might actually be Thanos forcing Thor to watch Loki's execution. (The scene with the Black Order definitely shows Loki being held at spear-point, rather than as a member of the club). Then Thanos chucks Thor out an airlock and he ends up doing his best bug-splat impression on the Guardians' ship.

*IF* they do go the reset route, it won't matter, though. That puts everything back before Asgard's demise, Hela's return, and even the death of Thor's parents. Actually, it puts everything back before Malakith & the Aether, and that awful, awful, awful send up of the Mandarin. It even undoes the Winter Soldier and Fury's "retirement."

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Marvel's released some new toys and promos, which fill in a couple of the scenes from the trailer.

Thor in the ring-thing is Thor forging "Stormbreaker," a battle axe, similar to the one used by Beta Ray Bill in the comics.

The weird hulkbuster armor movements are due to The Hulk actually being inside the armor. (or at least Banner, pre-Hulk-out)

Iron Man's definitely wearing the Bleeding Edge armor, but that was already pretty common knowledge.

Petey's officially the Iron Spider (also common knowledge), complete with (looks like) 4 prehensile arms, very similar to Doc Ock's.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the potential time travel aspect will be used to retcon a new set of actors into the MCU for phase forward. They could potentially "kill" someone like Captain America, which would end Chris Evans' run, then manipulate the timeline so that Bucky or Sam as "always" been Cap. Likewise, they could drop Capt. Marvel in as part of the team like she's always been there.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Bucky is going to end up as Captain America by the end of all this imo, i.e. the second Infinity Wars film. So Bucky isn't dying, Cap is. But not in this film, in the next one. And fyi, I think Stan has more films left on his contract than any other person in these movies.

In this one, I suspect Loki is done, along with Drax, War Machine, and/or Vision. Hawkeye could be gone as well, I guess.