Infinity War (AKA Avengers #3) Speculation/spoilers

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Unless it's done REALLY well (and I have no doubt they could), resetting everything with the Time or Relity stone would make me mad. Actions have consequences, and Marvel movies have made it clear that heroism implies sacrifice.

That said, I think this could be the equivalent of Crisis on Infinite Earths, where many changes occur and new generations take the mantle of former heroes.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Soooooo...I hear there's an Avengers movie opening tonight?

Wonder if anyone will go see it? :rolleyes

ValleyChristion

The sooner begun, the sooner done.
Registered
Reaction score
I bought my ticket for tomorrow night, but with the state of things as they are I might need to disconnect entirely from the internet in order to remain spoiler free. ;)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't seen it yet. Read the spoilers.

Very, very upset for what the beginning does to Ragnarok, even though I suspect there will be a full retcon next year.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Other thoughts: Imagine an after credits scene where Coulson almost turns to dust, then back to Coulson. Then almost to dust, then back to Coulson. Over & over.

I've got people laying odds on the possibility that Thor was the only surviving Asgardian because they're going to pull a Thor 2 and reveal that he's actually Loki. (I would love to see a scene with the two characters fighting together utilizing the ice powers Loki should possess in tandem with Thor's lightning, but we'll probably never get one.)

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I'll watch it and its sequel when I can get them free from my library.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My son and I checked it out Saturday. It moves along briskly, Josh Brolin absolutely KILLS as Thanos and I mean that in every sense of the word.

There are surprises a'plenty and I'd sum it up this way: Not as good as The Avengers, but better than Age of Ultron.

No spoilers from me. See it and judge for yourself. Or don't. I'm taking my wife today. :popcorn:

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Unless it's done REALLY well (and I have no doubt they could), resetting everything with the Time or Relity stone would make me mad. Actions have consequences, and Marvel movies have made it clear that heroism implies sacrifice.

That said, I think this could be the equivalent of Crisis on Infinite Earths, where many changes occur and new generations take the mantle of former heroes.
Trying not to spoiler, but just in case...
LALALALALALALALA
Global, non-specific thoughts about what happened in the movie follow this sentence.

I saw it last night, and have been pondering how they could possibly retcon this... event successfully. I honestly don't see a way, at least not that wouldn't break the MCU beyond repair.

I do suspect the cut-scene at the end gives an indication of how they're planning to go forward, at least in part, but in the meantime WTF are they going to do with the existing properties already in the pipeline? A number of them would appear to be nullified, if not rendered completely impossible, by the events in A:IW.

I don't think I've been this gobsmacked by the end of a movie since Pan's Labyrinth.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Trying not to spoiler, but just in case...
LALALALALALALALA
Global, non-specific thoughts about what happened in the movie follow this sentence.

I saw it last night, and have been pondering how they could possibly retcon this... event successfully. I honestly don't see a way, at least not that wouldn't break the MCU beyond repair.

I do suspect the cut-scene at the end gives an indication of how they're planning to go forward, at least in part, but in the meantime WTF are they going to do with the existing properties already in the pipeline? A number of them would appear to be nullified, if not rendered completely impossible, by the events in A:IW.

I don't think I've been this gobsmacked by the end of a movie since Pan's Labyrinth.

The next two planned movies (Ant-Man and Wasp and Captain Marvel) are pre-IW by my understanding (AM&W set between Civil War and IW, CM in the 90s), and Avengers 4 is scheduled for mid-2019, so there's not going to be much fallout. Most likely, it'll be straight into the "okay, how do we fix this?"

Which is kinda disappointing to me because I WANT BLACK PANTHER QUEEN SHURI

Last edited:

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Saw it yesterday.

Extreme

Spoiler

Space

First thoughts:
1. Thanos is an idiot. Populations double rapidly. Killing half of everyone holds things back for a generation or two at most. His horrendous genocide does nothing in the medium run, let alone the long run. Furthermore, the universe is mostly uninhabited and has tons of resources. Use the Infinity Stones to move resources where they are needed, or terraform planets and moons.

2. Everything that happened in the last third of the movie is somehow Dr. Strange's plan for how things will work out.

3. They killed way too many important characters at the end for them not to have a way to undo it. Three options occurred to me.
a). Time stone used to restore things.
If not:
b). The dead are in the Soul Stone and can be revived through that. Note: This paves the way for the Soul Stone to be used in GOTG III which is foreshadowed to include Warlock.
c). Vision's mind is in the Mindstone, so he can be restored from that.

4. They did not kill any of the original Avengers so the next movie is going to be the real Avengers III rather than this which was the entire MCU movie.

5. Killing Gamora fits the plot structure, but they need to bring her back for the next GOTG.

6. I'm annoyed at them killing the Vision because he and the Scarlet Witch were a couple I always liked, so I hope they bring him back.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saw it yesterday.

Extreme

Spoiler

Space

First thoughts:
1. Thanos is an idiot. Populations double rapidly. Killing half of everyone holds things back for a generation or two at most. His horrendous genocide does nothing in the medium run, let alone the long run. Furthermore, the universe is mostly uninhabited and has tons of resources. Use the Infinity Stones to move resources where they are needed, or terraform planets and moons.

2. Everything that happened in the last third of the movie is somehow Dr. Strange's plan for how things will work out.

3. They killed way too many important characters at the end for them not to have a way to undo it. Three options occurred to me.
a). Time stone used to restore things.
If not:
b). The dead are in the Soul Stone and can be revived through that. Note: This paves the way for the Soul Stone to be used in GOTG III which is foreshadowed to include Warlock.
c). Vision's mind is in the Mindstone, so he can be restored from that.

4. They did not kill any of the original Avengers so the next movie is going to be the real Avengers III rather than this which was the entire MCU movie.

5. Killing Gamora fits the plot structure, but they need to bring her back for the next GOTG.

6. I'm annoyed at them killing the Vision because he and the Scarlet Witch were a couple I always liked, so I hope they bring him back.

Mr. Garfinkle, I hate to tell you the bad news, but Warlock will NOT be in Avengers 4 because the Russo Brothers and the screenwriters say he won't.
Speaking with ComicBook on the heels of Infinity War's success, Anthony and Joe Russo discussed what might be next for Earth's Mightiest Heroes after they've failed in safeguarding humanity for the first time since they first assembled six years ago. It's expected that Avengers 4 will have the original core team trying to rectify the predicament that Thanos' left them with, and they would have to do it mostly by themselves. Captain Marvel will be there to help out, but Adam Warlock won't, unfortunately.
"Yeah [Adam Warlock]'s not showing up in our stories. Look, our job as we said a million times is to tell the story of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, not to do direct adaptations of the comics because we're comic book fans. I have no interest as a director in telling a story that's already been told or in seeing one that's already been told. If I know all the events story as they're going to happen then what's the point of going to the film? We want to keep surprising audiences and continue the story that started with Iron Man [...] a decade ago."

While Adam Warlock won't be making an entrance in Avengers 4, that doesn't mean that utilizing him didn't cross the writers - Stephen McFeely and Christopher Markus - minds. The duo previously revealed that they considered introducing Warlock in the the ongoing narrative revolving Thanos, but they ultimately decided against it because it would be a disservice to the character and the story to just shoehorn him in. In hindsight, it makes sense considering his arrival, and possibly becoming the key to ultimately defeating the Mad Titan, will take away from the long-time heroes making the major play for what could be their last outings in the MCU.

The Internet is breaking under the weight of all the think pieces, hot takes and deep-dive videos about Infinity War and what it means. Google "Avengers 4 theories" and kill the better part of a day.

All of which must make Kevin Feige very, very happy.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this with my nephew, for the first time, the other day. No one else watching.

One thing, not sure discussed here or anywhere else, was....

SPOILER....

Thanos killed half of the people, but why is it that the half we see killed off are good guys? Does this segue for an supervillain-strong sequel?

Question is I saw the Justice League last year: Steppenwolf (a DC god) vs. Thanos (Marvel)? Who would win?

Last edited: