[Book Trailer] The Death Doll (need input on commercial)

Brian P. White

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian
Registered
Reaction score
I've been meaning to make a book trailer for my action-horror novel The Death Doll, but a lot has gotten in the way. Now I finally took the time to make something on the free side. I searched through A LOT of royalty-free images and music, got my Audible voice actress to do an extra promo line, and downloaded a free movie maker. The images I could use were pretty limited, but I managed to narrow down the few that I got to some key images and used IrfanView to mess with the colors. The movie maker I got has neither a fade-out function (just relies on fade-in) nor transition times over 2 seconds, but I managed to time these images out somewhat decently. After a few tries, this is my latest result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GvzDf6ya3M

What needs improving? Where are some of the best places to post this video?

Given my limitations and need to get this out there, I really need some input on this.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the look/feel of it, but it seemed too short to generate interest in the book.

Also, is the Christian religion a theme? Because if not, your trailer spends half of its few seconds on "Jesus Christ said". If that is a theme in the book then that's fine.

Brian P. White

Registered
Reaction score
I liked the look/feel of it, but it seemed too short to generate interest in the book.

Also, is the Christian religion a theme? Because if not, your trailer spends half of its few seconds on "Jesus Christ said". If that is a theme in the book then that's fine.
The Christian faith is a big part of the MC's motives.

I kept it short intentionally for places like YouTube. How long would you suggest and what else does it need?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK, so the Jesus reference is good then. It's only 16 seconds, I would think you could go to 60. At least 45. Add the next line or two in the synopsis setup. Since I don't know what the story is about I can't say what that would be.

Brian P. White

Registered
Reaction score
OK, so the Jesus reference is good then. It's only 16 seconds, I would think you could go to 60. At least 45. Add the next line or two in the synopsis setup. Since I don't know what the story is about I can't say what that would be.
I'll consider that.

Anyone else?

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
You know you can post it to your Amazon Author profile right? Pretty good. I wasn't going to comment on the short length as I thought it was intentional but what exists in those 16 secs is good.

Dallas

Registered
Reaction score
I think that the video is too fast, perhaps stretch it out to 30 seconds and give us just a little bit more about the book. I think that she is dead and is a zombie killer of some kind, "Let the dead bury the dead" and that is my impression. I think it may just need a little more context.

Brian P. White

Registered
Reaction score
I think that the video is too fast, perhaps stretch it out to 30 seconds and give us just a little bit more about the book. I think that she is dead and is a zombie killer of some kind, "Let the dead bury the dead" and that is my impression. I think it may just need a little more context.
You hit the nail on the head, which was the beauty of having a short teaser (plus make it harder to avoid if promoted on YouTube, or at least that's the plan).

Maybe someday I'll make an actual trailer. For now, what's the best way to promote it? Researching YouTube, it would take $10 PER DAY just to get 500-700 views worldwide. I uploaded it to YouTube as a placeholder for now, shared the link on a Facebook page (and my own FB wall), and added it to my Amazon Author profile like Arpeggio suggested (thanks for that). What else can I do cheaply (or freely) that would distribute well?

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you link it to Twitter? If you have any friends who would give you a signal boost, you could get quite a few views.

Brian P. White

Registered
Reaction score
I did, though I don't have many followers. Not quite sure how to milk that cow yet other than keep re-tweeting the few I have.

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just so you know, when I click on your FB page from your signature, it doesn't open to the page. It says "site can't be reached". It would be good to fix your Twitter name in your signature too--to make it clickable.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty good, short and sweet, but is it a real doll in the story? People might be assuming that, so maybe explaining what the title means.

One thing you could do is hold on the book title longer, and then on the links as well.

I did a "making of" for a video I did, and you tube allows you to add links the the video you can click on. It's in their own editing after you post. You may need each link on a separate screen, as I don't know if you add more that one at a time--it's been a while.

Best of luck with it!

Brian P. White

Registered
Reaction score
Just so you know, when I click on your FB page from your signature, it doesn't open to the page. It says "site can't be reached". It would be good to fix your Twitter name in your signature too--to make it clickable.
Good call. All fixed now. Thanks!

I thought it was pretty good, short and sweet, but is it a real doll in the story? People might be assuming that, so maybe explaining what the title means.
It's explained in the book.

One thing you could do is hold on the book title longer, and then on the links as well.

I did a "making of" for a video I did, and you tube allows you to add links the the video you can click on. It's in their own editing after you post. You may need each link on a separate screen, as I don't know if you add more that one at a time--it's been a while.
I don't have enough views (or money) to add the cards yet. I'll keep working on it.