Chocolate Cheesecake - which recipe?

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I'm going to bake a chocolate cheesecake next week, after being frustrated that my grocery store had 30+ cheesecakes for sale and not one of them was chocolate. Since I haven't baked this before, I'd like to hear if anyone has a preferred recipe. (I generally prefer dark or bittersweet chocolate to milk chocolate, though I do like milk chocolate too.) These are the ones I'm considering so far:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/deep-dark-chocolate-cheesecake-236209
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/our-best-chocolate-cheesecake-74552.aspx (warning video autoplays and is noisy)
https://www.marthastewart.com/313108/triple-chocolate-cheesecake (same here)
https://www.browneyedbaker.com/chocolate-cheesecake-recipe/

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Weel, the Epicurious and Martha Stewart recipes will be denser, creamier, and more chocolate-y. The Martha Stewart recipe might be a little easier to make, if that matters.

The Kraft recipe will probably be the easiest and the less likely to cause you problems, but both it and the Brown-eyed Baker recipe will be a bit more crumbly and slightly drier than the other two. It really comes down to the taste and texture you prefer in a cheesecake.

ETA: The main thing to remember when baking a cheesecake is to not let it bake all the way through. The center should still be a little "jiggly" when you take it out of the oven—it will firm up on sitting—otherwise, if you bake 'til it sets in the center, it will be overdone and too, too dry.

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with Martha, for the addition of sour cream and the baking in a water bath.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The first cheesecake I ever made that was really cheesecake (vs. the ersatz pie cherries in a can with cream cheese, whipped topping and graham cracker crust) was from a Bon Appetit recipe. It called for chocolate wafers to be crushed to make the crust; I had no idea what they meant and so for years made the crust by crushing Oreos from which I first removed and discarded the filling.

The recipe calls for a 9 inch spring form pan; I use a 10 inch one because I worry less about spilling the batter putting it in the oven. This means the cake isn't quite as thick so be careful not to over bake it.

That said, I'd probably go with the Martha Stewart recipe. I confess to not bother with baking in a water bath; it's a PITA and I'm lazy. Don't really care if there's a crack, just don't over bake. Cracks can be covered with cream etc.

Black Forest Cheesecake
Bon Appetit February 1985.

Cherry Topping

1 pound frozen unsweetened cherries, thawed
1/4 cup kirsch
1/4 cup (about) Morello cherry syrup (available at specialty foods stores) or sour cherry syrup

Chocolate Crust

8 1/2 ounces chocolate wafer cookies
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) well-chilled butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Chocolate Filling

1 1/2 cups whipping cream
12 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whipping cream, well-chilled (I use heavy whipping cream.)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon kirsch
Chocolate curls (optional)

Procedure

For topping: Soak undrained cherries and kirsch in small bowl 6 hours.

Thoroughly drain cherries in strainer set over medium bowl, shaking occasionally, at least two hours. Reserve liquid.

Add enough Morello cherry syrup to cherry liquid to measure 1 cup. Pour 6 tablespoons into heavy 8-inch skillet (reserve remaining liquid for filling). Halve cherries and add to skillet. Boil until syrup is thickened and mixture resembles preserves, about 6 minutes. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Chill.)

For crust: Generously butter 9-inch springform pan. Finely crush cookies in processor, using on/off turns. Cut in butter until mixture begins to gather together, using on/off turns. Press crumbs into bottom of pan and up sides to 3/4 inch from top; there should be no cracks. Refrigerate crust for at least 30 minutes.

For filling: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Heat 1 1/2 cups cream with chocolate in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until chocolate melts, stirring constantly. Cool 10 minutes.

Beat cream cheese with 3/4 cup sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs 1 at a time until just combined. Beat in chocolate mixture, then remaining 10 tablespoons cherry liquid and vanilla. Pour into crust. Bake until outer 2 inches of cake are firm but center still moves slightly, about 1 1/4 hours (top may crack). Cool completely on rack. Top pan with paper towels and cover tightly with foil. Refrigerate 1 to 2 days.

Remove foil, paper towels and pan sides from cake. Spread cherry topping over cake. Beat remaining 1 cup cream with 2 tablespoons sugar and kirsch to peaks. Spoon into center of cake. Top with chocolate curls if desired. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead and refrigerated.) Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.

Last edited:

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Ah, that's good to know about stopping when the middle is still wiggly - normally I wouldn't do that with a cake or something. Thanks! Moist and creamy sounds ideal as a texture. I also don't care about cracks, this is for me and my housemate to devour, not something to present at christmas or new years. So maybe I'll go with the epicurious one.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
So I made the cheesecake - or rather the filling recipe made so much it perfectly filed two of the premade oreo pie crusts I had, so I made two cheesecakes. I dislike the ganache. If I make it again I'll probably cut the recipe in half, use graham cracker crust, and add cherry or raspberry topping. Or a mint moose would also make a nice topping.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
ETA: The main thing to remember when baking a cheesecake is to not let it bake all the way through. The center should still be a little "jiggly" when you take it out of the oven—it will firm up on sitting—otherwise, if you bake 'til it sets in the center, it will be overdone and too, too dry.

No, the main thing to remember is not to drop the unbaked cheesecake into the heated oven when putting it in. Trust me on this.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
No, the main thing to remember is not to drop the unbaked cheesecake into the heated oven when putting it in. Trust me on this.
Fortunately, when I'm baking pies that have cookie-style crusts, I always put a thick metal cookie sheet beneath them to insure the crust doesn't burn. So unless I somehow managed to spill the pie pan entirely off the cookie sheet... actually that could happen, huh. I'd really like to avoid this scenario, lol.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only cheesecake disaster I had was many years ago. I was using a springform pan, and didn't have it properly assembled. It was fine until it was in the oven about ten minutes. Then all the batter started leaking out. It was on a sheet pan, but still...what a mess!

MM

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The only cheesecake disaster I had was many years ago. I was using a springform pan, and didn't have it properly assembled. It was fine until it was in the oven about ten minutes. Then all the batter started leaking out. It was on a sheet pan, but still...what a mess!

MM

First time I ever used a springform that happened to me too; the round disc that goes in the bottom wasn't properly seated.