Designing a book to be re-read

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Well, a twist was just an example. Jane Eyre probably qualifies as coming of age though so fits that coming of age bill.

I am always surprised to hear hp described as incredibly detailed re worldbuilding. I would have said its strength is characters and story rather than setting, but I digress.

i would say that the worldbuilding is vital in Harry Potter, as in most fantasy worlds. All of the mystical creatures, the spells, Quidditch, the various subjects, the school houses, the wands- having that level of detail makes people re-read.
I’ve never heard HP be particularly praised for the emotional complexities of its characters (maybe Dumbledore, Snape and Voldemort but not Harry).

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Not necessarily complex (given the target age of the first few books) but very relateable.

The world building is essential to the story, but it's not particularly detailed, I would have said. But it would be inappropriate for the books to have a very heavy or dense setting given that it needs to be accessible for younger people too.

It's probably a pedantic point. I guess when I think of a book where I am specifically drawn to read because of the setting, over other elements, I'd probably pick something like Helliconia (exploring the development of a planet over thousands of years, omni pov) or Etched City (atmospheric metaphors and scene examination), or other setting junkie books.