Helicopters

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I know helicopters fly a bit differently then airplanes. Beyond that, I don't know a lot about them.

Here's what I'm hoping to do -- People on the helicopter would be pilot and co-pilot, two flight medics, two armed guards, and one or two individuals who have been captured. Medical condition of the captives is iffy and the plan is to have them lying down and maybe being worked on during the return flight.

Flight will be to Kasan, Syria (very, very small town located in northeastern Syria. Takeoff location is Baghdad, but can be changed. I'm not thrilled with Baghdad, but it's about 300 miles away and seems to be within range of a helicopter.

It looks like the Eurocopter EC155 would work, but as I said, I don't know a lot about helicopters.

Money for anything isn't a problem, as it's all stolen anyways.

Does this work or do I need to make some adjustments?

Thanks for any help and rep points to anyone who helps.

Jim Clark-Dawe

Calder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thejanusgate.com
The Eurocopter EC155 has been redesignated the Airbus H155. It's more than adequate for the journey you outline. It will carry a crew of 1 or 2, together with up to 13 passengers (max payload of 2,300 KG - a little over 5,000 lbs). With its maximum range of over 500 miles and a top speed approaching 200 mph (175kn) I'd suggest you can expand your operational radius beyond the 300 miles you quote. Of course, if your story contains the need for a return, or further journey, you'll need to be able to refuel at your original destination. Otherwise, you'll be limited to a 250 mile operational radius and when you land back at your original starting point, you'd probably be flying on fumes. If you don't fancy Baghdad as a jumping-off point, the range offered by the H155 would let you depart from most places in south-eastern Turkey, northern Iraq, or north-western Iran. Hope this helps.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Calder -- Thank you for your help.

I don't fancy Baghdad because it seems cliched. But Baghdad is ideal as a base. It's close to the oil fields, where these type of copters are used, it's got a major airfield where a good size corporate jet can get in and out of, air space issues are solvable, fuel and parts are available, and it's in range of the destination.

Flight is an in and out, so it looks like I need to use one of the two choices for auxiliary tanks for this copter (which cuts down on the load but I wasn't at the max so that should be able to work). Destination is going to require two hot landings because of the possibilities of IEDs. The copter will have ten to fifteen minutes to hang around between landings.

Flight time one way I'm figuring at 110 minutes. It will be safer at altitude from enemy fire. I'm also thinking it's farther from the sand, which I'm assuming it a good thing.

Jim Clark-Dawe

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I think the strategy is fine. I've been told by an Apache pilot that during the early part of the war in Afghanistan, the strategy was to come in low and advance slowly, to avoid the threat of MANPADs (portable antiaircraft missiles. During the latter part of the war, that threat was mostly eliminated, changing the strategy to flights at 1,500 feet AGL, which was deemed safe from small arms fire, if that helps.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
MANPADS are a pain in the butt everywhere. Fortunately the number of them available are coming down steadily. The US has bought a bunch of them back. Small arms fire is a risk anywhere in a war zone, so flying a certain height is always a good idea. You forgot to mention getting clearance to fly from the various air forces in the area. That area has a lot of people flying in jets who'd love to shot you down if they can come up with an excuse. Another little problem for my character to solve.

I think the approach here would be to get down to the deck below the horizon and come in the last couple of miles on the deck at speed. But since my character is paying the pilot to be old and wise and won't be on the helicopter, I don't have to worry about this.

Thanks for making sure I mention the MANPADS. My character is well aware of the Stinger problems in Afghanistan and is selling missiles he says are a lot more reliable then those Stingers were.

Jim Clark-Dawe