Need thoughts and advice on attempting a BookBub promotion

Bongo

Registered
Reaction score
First and most importantly, if turned down to do a promotion with BookBub is it then a done deal? Can I re-submit my book if rejected?

I REALLY want to run a BB discount, and I'm not sure if I should submit my book now, or wait. I've done a bunch of edits and I'm confident in the current version. I have 38 legit positive reviews on Amazon, with 1 negative single sentence review. I sold a little over 1200 books since I put it out the first of this year and my book was #2 on an Amazon best seller list several times. Was in the top 10 many times. Currently (since I think they switched things up a bit), it's not doing as well. I'm ranking 7,203 in paperback Self Help, in the 62,000s for overall Best Sellers, and on Kindle I'm at #24 under self help books for "Anxieties and Phobias." Do these numbers even come into play in BookBub's selection process?

I'm confident about everything else with my book, the cover, the formatting, etc.

Is a BookBub promo feasible at this stage of my game?

My plan if I don't go for it just now is to drop my Kindle price significantly to generate more sales, work my butt off for more reviews, and continue sending requests for a blurb from someone well known. I've only stuck my toe into that water thus far - with no results.

Thoughts and advice are much appreciated.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
If you aren't accepted for an ad, you can try again at some future date--can't remember if it's thirty days or sixty days or what.

However, the real power of a Bookbub ad is drawing attention to a body of work, which is why people often get them for first book in a series. If you only have one book out there, it's likely not worth it. There are similar venues that do the same thing for a fraction of the cost, but again, part of the whole reason for doing it is to create awareness of a body of work. And while all that is what I've observed and heard from other authors in regard to fiction, I believe the same thing would apply to non-fiction titles as well. Honestly, I think your best bet is to put your energy into completing and publishing more books.

Bongo

Registered
Reaction score
If you aren't accepted for an ad, you can try again at some future date--can't remember if it's thirty days or sixty days or what.

However, the real power of a Bookbub ad is drawing attention to a body of work, which is why people often get them for first book in a series. If you only have one book out there, it's likely not worth it. There are similar venues that do the same thing for a fraction of the cost, but again, part of the whole reason for doing it is to create awareness of a body of work. And while all that is what I've observed and heard from other authors in regard to fiction, I believe the same thing would apply to non-fiction titles as well. Honestly, I think your best bet is to put your energy into completing and publishing more books.

Thanks. Could you tell me what sites might be better? Not sure if I’m going to be writing any other books any time soon :).

Bongo

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody else have any thoughts, suggestions, or links to other reputable places to do a book promotion?

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Anybody else have any thoughts, suggestions, or links to other reputable places to do a book promotion?
There are a couple of threads here discussing the effectiveness of promo sites.

For me, nothing compares to Bookbub. The second-tier sites that I've used in the past are E-Reader News Today (ENT), Free Kindle Books & Tips (FKBT), and Fussy Librarian. All of them are considerably less effective now than they were 2-3 years ago, however.

John G. Hartness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnhartness.com
My first BookBub was yesterday, in the Supernatural Suspense category. It was at least the fifth submission for the book that was accepted, my Quincy Harker, Year 1 novella collection. As of this writing, around 36 hours after the promo emails went out, the promo has paid for itself and made a little profit. The book was priced at $.99, and the overall cost was $448.00, making for a breakeven point of around 1,280 copies of that book. Currently I'm sitting at around 1,350 copies sold. I don't yet have numbers from ACX for audio, and the Draft2Digital numbers for today are pretty laggy, so I don't know exactly what my non-Amazon numbers look like.

Yesterday the book moved 1,006 ebooks on Amazon, and 177 on other platforms. This was good enough to get to the Top 4 in Horror, and #2 in Dark Fantasy. I'm fairly pleased with the results, and have high hopes for future sales, as this is the first of three books, and this series has a good sell-through rate, typically.

Here's what I did differently this time to get accepted - I pulled the series from KDP Select and put it into wide distribution. Then I took a good look at the books that were getting BookBub promotions. The only things I saw listed in my genres at higher price points than $.99 were box sets or major label trade pub books, and since I am a small press, I bit the bullet and priced the book at $.99. I don't like selling the book for that price, but if it gets 1,300 people to look at the series, it should pick up a couple hundred new fans over the long term, so that's worth it. I had previously only submitted deals at either free or $2.99, and received over a dozen rejections. This time I got accepted. I did not apply for Supernatural Suspense, that's the category they selected for me, and it seems to have done well enough. So those are the things I did, and I got accepted after multiple submissions. Your mileage may obviously vary. Good luck!