• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Dialogue Tag: Asked/Ask

Antipode91

Registered
Reaction score
So, I recently heard someone say not to use "ask/asked" as a dialogue tag, and just use "said," because "ask" falls into the realm of needless dialogue tags.

However, I had never realized that. I always thought "said" and "asked" were in the same category of the only tags to use for the majority of a book.

Then I was reading Jurassic Park (best book and author in the world :p), and he used "said" after a dialogue that asked a question. Was actually my first time noticing something like that, so I wasn't really sure how to process it. To me, "said" after a question looked strange.

Do you use "said" in replace of "asked"?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto what Indianroads said. It's pretty much an invisible tag, and you'll have no trouble finding lots of good writers who use it. The key with using attributions to quotations is always clarity, and avoiding overuse and repetitive structures.

caw

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
If one isn't "allowed" to use asked as a tag, the authors I read (and their agents and editors) haven't got the memo. I think asked is as invisible as said, and imo it looks kind of odd for something that is clearly a question to be tagged with a "said," unless one wants to emphasize that it was uttered with a flat inflection.

Honestly, for all that people blog about how you should avoid all use tags that aren't "said," (or "asked"), a quick perusal of the novels on my e-reader (some published very recently) suggest that "whispered," "shouted" etc. also aren't taboo, nor is the occasional "squeaked" or "groaned" etc. used as a tag. I have trouble believing that agents reject novels based on this factor, since it's so common.

Sometimes I wonder if some people who blog writing advice the web actually read any books.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I'm glad to see the consensus on this.

I also find it weird to see questions tagged wtih "said". Kind of like I'd find it weird to see calm statements tagged with shouted or something. Not that they tend to be, but still.

On that note I don't think there's anything wrong with replied, retorted, rejoined, exclaimed, cried, mused, etc. Everything in moderation.

DongerNeedFood

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely use asked. Think about the audiobook version. The listener doesn't hear the question mark so a question followed by said would sound odd.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
It's a question (hah!) of whether you are already using punctuation to indicate "asked". On occasion you run across - "Is this really a thing?" Amy asked.

Which is redundant. If you use a question mark you don't need a dialog tag. Either said or asked. But, sometimes folks will use the question mark but add said/asked as a tag anyway. And in that case I think some folks use "said" because part of their brain is crying "Redundant!" but they don't understand that the tag itself is unnecessary so they plug in "said" as well.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely use asked. Think about the audiobook version. The listener doesn't hear the question mark so a question followed by said would sound odd.

Actually, if the narrator is worth their salt the listener *will* hear the question. (I say this as someone who has listened to a sample for an audiobook of her own work which used no dialog tags in the sample material.)

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
It's a question (hah!) of whether you are already using punctuation to indicate "asked". On occasion you run across - "Is this really a thing?" Amy asked.

Which is redundant. If you use a question mark you don't need a dialog tag.

But sometimes you need to identify the speaker. Of course, there are other ways to do that besides using "asked," but occasionally you just want something quick and straightforward and relatively invisible, and not have to insert some meaningless action statement just so the reader will know who asked the question.

It also seems to me that "asked" is no more redundant after a question than "said" is after a statement.

Last edited:

Dallas

Registered
Reaction score
I always tag my dialogue, even when there is two people speaking, or shouting, or screaming, or... you get it. I also think that 'asked' should come after a question.