Most memorable books you read in 2017

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If you want to read a Seuss book that's apropos to our current situation, you might try Horton Hears a Who.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Now I've seen the movie of that, again with the kids - and I agree it is relevant, but Blue Planet II will suffice in reminding me of the horrors that human civilsation has done to this wonderful planet (at least for now). Thank you though xx

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My favourite book of the year was THE GIRL WITH THE RED BALLOON by Katherine Locke. It was simply gorgeous. A YA about a girl who picks up a floating balloon in present day free Berlin and magically gets sucked back into the wrong side of the Berlin Wall...and her journey to find the magic that will bring her back. It was lovely.

My other two faves were THE HATE U GIVE (THUG) by Angie Thomas and LONG WAY DOWN by Jason Reynolds. They tie for second place. (-:

After that, INDIAN HORSE by RICHARD WAGAMESE was an enthralling and beautiful and heart wrenching story about the residential schools here in Canada. A gorgeous novel that is now a movie.

After that, THE INEXPLICABLE LOGIC OF MY LIFE by Benjamin Alire Saenz and SHADOWSHAPER by Daniel Jose Older. Both were lovely.

I also enjoyed KAY'S LUCKY COIN VARIETY by Ann Y K Choi---set in Toronto, the story of a teen girl who comes from Korean immigrant parents who run a variety store. Amazing story.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The Brothers Karamazov. Five of the main characters are drama queens turned up to 11. Perhaps necessary to deliver the depths of psychology and pathos that are the heart of the book.
I adored that book! I love what you said about it here. (-:

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I love threads like this!

ELEANOR OLIPHANT IS COMPLETELY FINE, BEING FISHKILL, THE NOWHERE GIRLS, THE HATE U GIVE, ALLEGEDLY, WHAT GIRLS ARE MADE OF..there's definitely more, but I have cold-brain:).

Aimless Lady

Head in the Clouds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maggieblackbird.com
Fiction:
Waterlily by Ella Cara Deloria
The Ivory Carver Trilogy by Sue Harrison
Touch the Sun by Beverly Bird

Non-Fiction:
The Ballad of Danny Wolfe by Joe Friesen