What are your favorite Historical movies?

writingclarity

Registered
Reaction score
I've been into lots of historical movies lately, mostly because of history class, and I was wondering what your favorites are?

I recently watched Cinderella Man and it was so good, but also so heartbreaking. It takes place during the Great Depression and is about a man who's a father and husband. He used to be a famous boxer but after a defeat, his name was brought to the ground. He's trying to earn money for his family and the whole movie is about his struggle in doing so.

My other favorite history movies are Dunkirk, Swing Kids HIGHLY reccomend), and The Pianist

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Barry Lyndon a thousand times. Also, Lawrence of Arabia and Amadeus are easy go-to's.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
What's Barry Lyndon about?
It's based on the novel by W Thackerey , The luck of Barry Lyndon . The story is set in the eighteenth century and is about an Irish rogue and his ambitions to become part of the British Aristocracy. The film by Stanley Kubrick , uses sets based on painting from the period . The lighting is soft and the colours are pastel . It is a work of art .
One of my more recent historic things I like is The BBC Wolf Hall .

Last edited:

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'll second Dunkirk, amazing movie.

I also love The Madness of King George and Rabbit-proof Fence.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Just about all those. I'd add

The Lion in Winter
The King's Speech
The Young Victoria - Emily Blunt
Gone with the Wind
The Seven Samurai
Chariots of Fire
Zero Dark Thirty
Pride and Prejudice - both the Colin Firth and the Keira Knightley versions

Fantasy and sci-fi films with a historical or faux-historical context

Wonder Woman
Midnight in Paris
Captain America: the First Avenger
Lord of the Rings

Aimless Lady

Head in the Clouds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maggieblackbird.com
Windwalker
Apocalypto
The Passion of the Christ
Dances with Wolves
Milk
Bloody Sunday
Quest for Fire
Hotel Rwanda
Troy
Mississippi Burning
The Color Purple

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Apocalypto
Apollo 13

Schindler's List
And Braveheart is one of my favourite movies, although classing it a historical movie would be dubious at best.

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
Dunkirk
Schindler's List
Zero Dark Thirty
hmm...well while I enjoy historical films, I haven't seen that many in recent years. I did watch Gone with the Wind four or so weeks ago for film history class. Didn't like it. I watched Seven Samurai last week. Was....alright at best. Wasn't into that one either. I've seen Lawrence of Arabia. Decent film. Passion of the Christ is relevant to me as a Christian. The film itself I dont remember enjoying. I find most faith based films to be extremely mediocre or just bad.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Master and Commander
Waterloo
Zulu
The Last of the Mohicans
The Lion in Winter
Spartacus
Ran
Gallipoli
Lawrence of Arabia
A Man for All Seasons

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So glad to see I'm not the only one naming The Lion in Winter. (Prefer the O'Toole/Hepburn version over the Stewart/Close version.)

Dunkirk is amazing, as was The Darkest Hour (still in theaters). I'm looking forward to watching TDH, then Dunkirk. They seem to bookend the event very nicely.

While not a movie, I have to put the Horatio Hornblower series up (Ioan Gruffund) up as well.

Criccieth

Registered
Reaction score
No one's mentioned The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers, which were enormous fun. And the Granada production of The Jewel in the Crown.

I have to confess the guilty pleasure of liking the late 90s version of Three Musketeers even if it was a Brat Pack version.

I know it's closer to Steampunk than Historical, but the Downey Junior/Law "Sherlock Holmes" films do at least pay attention to the real side of their time period.

Ahem.....A Knight's Tale? :gone:

Yeah I know but at least it doesn't try OR claim to be genuinely historical like The Scottish Film. And even with the whole wooden London Eye and the rock-music chorus - yes, jousting WAS a big thing with favourite partipants. And there were female blacksmiths - and even the realisation of Chaucer is not entirely removed from reality.

Last edited:

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
The Name of the Rose
Three/Four Musketeers (Michael York version)
Becket/Lion in Winter
Carol
Dunkirk
Casablanca
Perceval (French title, Perceval le Gallois)
Sorceress (also French, Le Moine et la Sorciere)

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Kingdom of Heaven
Spartacus
Schindler' List
Downfall
Gandhi
Ben-Hur (1959 version)
Young Victoria
Agora

That'll do for now.

Zvibenmor

A real bustard
Registered
Reaction score
The Lion in Winter is my favorite movie ever. With Peter O'Toole, Katherine Hepburn, Anthony Hopkins and Timothy Dalton, how can you miss?

I love Eleanor's speech:

Of course he has a knife. He's always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183 and we're barbarians. How clear we make it. Oh, my piglets, we are the origins of war -- not history's forces, nor the times, nor justice, nor the lack of it, nor causes, nor religions, nor ideas, nor kinds of government, nor any other thing. We are the killers. We breed wars. We carry it like syphilis inside. Dead bodies rot in field and stream because the living ones are rotten. For the love of God can't we love one another just a little? That's how peace begins. We have so much to love each other for. We have such possibilities, my children. We could change the world.

Put on your speakers and watch/listen to Katherine Hepburn here

My second favorite movie is A Man for All Seasons.

I love this scene/dialogue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDBiLT3LASk

zbm

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The African Queen
Gone with the Wind
Country
Band of Brothers(the entire collection)
Gangs of New York
Cold Mountain
The Great Escape
The Way We Were
Mississippi Burning
Tombstone

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Mississippi Burning. I finally saw this recently and hated it while I appreciated the importance of it.

Schindler' List

Elizabeth with Cate Blanchett

Tess with Natasha Kinski. Was long ago, but I thought she was beautiful and the cinematography was great. I won't mention the director . . .

Apocalypto. I adored seeing the pyramids, Mayan ways, and all those things brought to life. Great suspense too. I won't mention the director either . . .

The Color Purple. When I saw this in the theater, a lot of people were crying. It wasn't until I watched it alone at home that I lost my shit so many times.

Places in the Heart

Norma Rae. Yes Sally, I really like you!!! :)

To end on an up note, I absolutely adored the Pride and Prejudice mini series with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle.

I'm sure there's more, but so many awesome choices posted, some I haven't seen yet.

Last edited: