• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for middle grade fiction beta reader. Will pay 50 dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a beta reader for my 54,000 word middle grade contemporary/fantasy story. I'm looking for someone with experience work shopping and someone who likes Percy Jackson. I do not have the time to do a swap--life happened--but I will pay you 50 dollars via paypal (sorry, that's all I can afford).

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Tyler, I know you're looking to show your appreciation for anyone who offers to read your book, considering that you can't offer a swap at the moment. However, I do worry that offering money will only get you readers who are in it for the money, rather than the good will of trying to make your book better. Alternatively, it may make a beta feel like they have to do more than they usually would, basically working as an editor for less than an editor's fee. Betas are generally unpaid and don't expect any kind of monetary reward. There are plenty of willing beta readers who don't need a swap, but will beta something that piques their interest. A freelance editor, who you would pay money to, would do her best on your novel because that's her job and a good experience with her would lead to word-of-mouth business, but that's the not same service as a beta reader.

Why don't you scrap the monetary offer, and instead give us a few details about your book to see if you can catch the eye of a willing beta reader?

Antipode91

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, don't spend-yo-money.

Percy Jackson is what originally inspired in high school to finish a novel, so I'd like to read it. :)

That said, still keep looking for other beta readers. I'm not a MG writer, or reader, so I'll only really be able to edit your grammar, sentence structure suggestions, plot issues, and overall feeling of the story. But in terms of mechanics in MG, and tropes, and so on--I'm not aware of those to give any advice or opinion.

UrsidaeBlack

Registered
Reaction score
If I could add to this conversation, I'd be interested in taking a look. I'm not so much interested in the money as I am the theme. I'm a big fan Greek mythology of which I know inspired Percy Jackson heavily and I too am working on my own project under that particular inspriation, Greek Myth, not PJ. If you still need a beta Reader I pride myself on helping creatively and giving niche tips.

TheAnxiousPrincess

Registered
Reaction score
Tyler,
Hi! I'm a beta reader, and I'd be interested in reading and providing feedback for your novel. Despite what others are saying, I do believe paying isn't a bad idea at all. Personally, beta reading is what I do instead of a traditional part-time job, so I do take it very seriously. I read all the Percy Jackson novels when I was younger, and even then I knew what I would've changed about it.

I can assure you I will be 100% honest and unbiased. I've reviewed a lot of books on my blog, and every author I've worked with has been very satisfied with my work.

So if you'd like to work together, let me know! I won't charge you $50.00 for the read - we can work that out and come to a cheaper, more fair price. Plus, I'm in Canada, so you'd pay me less anyways! (Guess exchange rates do benefit people sometimes!)

I look forward to hearing from you!

Status
Not open for further replies.