Scrivener 3 for macOS is out

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
  • Just released. The details page is here.
  • $25.00 for existing customers who are upgrading; $45.00 for new customers. There's a free 30 day trial.
  • You can email Literature and Latte your App store receipt if you want a coupon to upgrade at the $25.00 price.
  • Scrivener 3 for macOS 10.12 or later; that means Sierra or later.
  • The updated Windows version is coming; but if you buy the Windows version now, you'll have a free upgrade when it's released.
  • If you're a NaNoWriMo winner, you'll be able to use your Scrivener discount offer.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I've been hesitating to upgrade to High Sierra... maybe I will after all.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
MacOS 10.12 is Sierra. High Sierra is 10.13. If you already have Sierra, no need to rush out and upgrade it just for Scrivener.

If you already have Scrivener 1 or 2, be aware that Scrivener 3 uses a new file format and is NOT BACKWARD COMPATIBLE. Once you've opened a Scrivener file in 3, you can no longer use it in older versions.

What this means for me: One of the machines I use for writing (my beloved MacBook Air!) is old and feeble by modern standards and will never get an OS newer than Yosemite. That means it's never going to get Scrivener 3 either. So as long as I continue to use that machine for writing my main system isn't getting Scrivener 3 either. Though it looks awfully spiffy.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
MacOS 10.12 is Sierra. High Sierra is 10.13. If you already have Sierra, no need to rush out and upgrade it just for Scrivener.

If you already have Scrivener 1 or 2, be aware that Scrivener 3 uses a new file format and is NOT BACKWARD COMPATIBLE. Once you've opened a Scrivener file in 3, you can no longer use it in older versions.

What this means for me: One of the machines I use for writing (my beloved MacBook Air!) is old and feeble by modern standards and will never get an OS newer than Yosemite. That means it's never going to get Scrivener 3 either. So as long as I continue to use that machine for writing my main system isn't getting Scrivener 3 either. Though it looks awfully spiffy.

There's a Save As Scrivener 2 option. It seems two work fine for exporting to Scrivener 2 for macOS or Windows.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Just upgraded. So far so good! Except the progress bar no longer changes color and I'm BUMMED. I really liked changing the bar to green. It was a great incentive for my brain!

On the other hand, I can see the progress in the title bar on the page, so there is that.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Just upgraded. So far so good! Except the progress bar no longer changes color and I'm BUMMED. I really liked changing the bar to green. It was a great incentive for my brain!

On the other hand, I can see the progress in the title bar on the page, so there is that.

Belay that! I figured out how to make it change colors again. There's an appearance preference for target progress bars. And you can pick your colors!

But even more importantly... Scrivener 3 closes a quote after an em-dash properly! :hooray: