• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Readers or Writing Buddies Wanted (fantasy short stories)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinnamon

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for either.

No longer needed for the OP stories (both stories sent, one already accepted. (Yay! ^^) but I'm looking for betas in my new post in #4.

I am submitting two short stories (both fantasy spec, both 5k) to two different magazines with a deadline of Dec, 1st, and I need someone to beta-read one story of their choice or both, if they have time. The stories are already finished and rested a couple of weeks for me to proofread them and fix all mistakes and inconsistencies in the plot that I could find. I am worried if the endings are satisfying, or that they are non-understandable (I tend to stray into a subtle zone a lot, and I need someone to tell me where I'd better hammer in the plot points instead of leaving them up to the imagination).

Also, on a lesser note, English is my second, so I am worried that I make weird blunders in my writing. I was told repeatedly by different people that I need to find a Native English speaker who would be willing to scan my text and tell me what pops at them as unnatural-sounding.

So, in short.

Genre: fantasy (but on the more speculative note since the fantasy elements are minor), short stories. 5k each. One is a story about a mummy taken by force into British museum. No one treats her like a person due to her lacking language skills and a human appearance, but she still is human even if no one sees that. The second one is the story of two Norse goddesses (of desire) who are hidden from everyone, because people and gods both "objectify" them. Because of their innate magic, they have no choice but to yield and to abandon their own personalities in the process (that obviously sucks). Only in solitude they can be safe and happy. Then this bliss is ruined by a mortal man who wanders into their lives.
Pick either story! (or both >_<).

Feedback: I mostly need advice about naturalness of my language and focus on plot consistency and payoffs. (I'm afraid I suck at writing endings!) But I would take any critiques, harsh or gentle, grammar-related or style-related if it's what you tend to do.

Publishing: these stories are written for the submission calls to fantasy magazines.

Credentials: I don't know, I guess I don't care about those. Anyone is welcome. =)

The example of my fiction writing is here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/sho...ng-Forth-By-Day-short-story-beginning-(1-700) which is also the beginning of one of the stories I'm asking to beta for.

---

Concerning writing buddies/partners: I am interested in having an exchange of fantasy or fantasy/spec stories and chapters on a weekly (or other) basis to keep track of each other's progress and to do workshopping together. I am obviously bad at giving grammar/syntax advice, but I can give stylistic notes and spot character development and arc inconsistencies, plot holes, and uneven narration fairly well. ^^

Thank you for reading. You can PM me or answer here, whichever suits you.

Last edited:

Antipode91

Registered
Reaction score
I'll gladly read both. Both sound pretty interesting :)

I don't really write short stories--I just finished a 98k word fantasy, so I don't think it's really fair to swap that for two 5k short stories paha.

So send them my way! I'm not sure if you can PM word documents, but if not, we can PM each other our emails, and do it that way.

Cinnamon

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, thanks for offering your help, because one of those stories has been accepted in its magazine already. The other is waiting, so it's all good ^^.

Not needed for this one as well. I sent it ^^.

I now have another story on my hands, also for a submission call. This one is 7k, fantasy. AWers have helped me to make the first 2k words better by challenging my perception on its structure and pointing out all the Un-Englishness of my language, so now I look for someone who could do the same for other 5k? (If you'd like -- I'm not forcing anyone to give me LBL. Only if something truly horrendous strikes your eye/ear). Or just tell me if the overall structure and pace need work.

I'll critique your stories/chapters in turn as well.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

j_catalyst

Registered
Reaction score
I got some free on my hands and would love to find a good read. Preferably YA or NA romance, suspense, or humor.

Email me if you would like another pair of eyes for your story.

[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.