Mozilla's Firefox Quantum

TrinaM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trinamalone.com
Admin -- I agree, SFTP is important. Do you have any thoughts on whether Windows has that ability or whether there is a specific client that would be better? FireFTP had the option to enable SFTP. I'm not seeing it with the Windows that I've just started playing with, but it may be there just waiting for me to discover it. Moving this OUT of my browser and to my desktop may be an improvement to my workflow.

THAT would be nice.

I still daydream of the day when FTP itself will no longer be required...but it seems still necessary.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Oddly, I downloaded it voluntarily, and ran it side-by-side with the old Fox. Mind you, I'm happily floating on the sweet air of Linux, so my mileage may vary. I am wondering how much my experience is affected by its use of my "normal" ffx profile, but anyhow I decided I liked it. Since I eliminate all unneeded buttons,always have the menu bar visible, and don't use many add-ons, the biggest difference I've seen is the speed. Oldfox came growling up from the depths like a sick whale. Quantum loads as fast as I think a browser should. The one-for-all menu -- a feature I generally loathe, and one of my reasons for finding Chrome disgusting -- is actually more usable than the old style.

One thing to watch out for is, if you are still suffering Windows 8/8.1, you will have to disable hardware acceleration in ffx prefs or do a wee tweak in about:config to keep those cute kitten videos on Youtube from going funny colored. I don't think Purple Kitten Syndrome affects Win10 at all.

To make a longish story short, now that I have Quantum I am using Firefox a lot more . Google's asshattery that spoils Youtube for Linux users doesn't affect it.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
I fired up my Kubuntu machine today. It had been offline for a while. A few months in fact.

Firefox Quantum came on after a minute of network romping. Just like that. Never asked for the upgrade or anything. Microsoft had been drown in a swamp for far less.

I'm not exactly thrilled by this.

-cb