Dirty Words?

CaliforniaMelanie

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to keep in mind the recommendation of thinking about a 13-year-old finding and reading posts on this page, so I will put things delicately.

Is it weird to use very dirty, raunchy, er...bodily terms in an otherwise quality, solid book?

I mean...the book being erotica, after all?

Is this making sense? I hate to have to use squick-worthy words like "his manhood" and going full throttle Latin seems so very un-sexy.

I have a solid plot and serious writing (style) but this is all really built around a book that basically is a collection of totally wild fantasies come true. I tried having it all be a bit, I don't know, lighter (again, in writing style) but it felt insanely sophomoric. It basically read like Twilight on roofies. I didn't believe in or love it and I wasn't getting to write at the plot depth I wanted to because that just wouldn't have fit.

But...I want the dirty parts of the story...they were actually the original plan...so...

Thoughts?

Last edited:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I would say read A LOT of erotica and/or erotic romance to get a feel for what other authors have done, and how well their technique works for you as a reader. What words make you cringe? What words make you roll your eyes? Avoid those, and use whatever *does* work for you.

Also some words might work in some stories/scenes, but not others. For example, I really don't like "cum," but sometimes it works better than "semen" if I want to add a note of crudeness or raunchiness to the scene. I once wrote a book with a character who was very religious, and the sex scenes with him and his husband were challenging because he simply wouldn't use certain words, whereas when I wrote from his husband's POV, it was game on.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Thanks for keeping in mind the board's audience. Much appreciated.)

There aren't many dirty words that are never right for erotic fiction. Mostly it revolves around the likely vocabulary of the character whose point of view you're in. What word would s/he use for a dude's manhood, and does it change from locker room conversation to casual mention when with a friend to pillow talk? (Probably, but not necessarily.)

You'd also want to bear in mind the intended readership. If you're writing an erotic romance, your reader is likely to be a woman, and there may be words they dislike, as a group, and ones they prefer. This takes research, mainly reading what other authors are using. (All research should be so pleasant, huh?)

CaliforniaMelanie

Registered
Reaction score
This is such fantastic info....thanks to both of you.

The language from the POV of the character sounds really spot-on.

Research...I'm game. I do like to read. ;)

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Write the words that you are comfortable with.

I'm just going to...give a +1 to the other perspective here. I'm not comfortable with using the C-words in conversation, especially the female C-word. I have a visceral reaction against it. But my characters aren't me. If I'm writing a character that talks really dirty, I have to push my comfort boundaries. I think "write what your characters would say" is darn fine advice.

CaliforniaMelanie

Registered
Reaction score
Or, I should clarify: I wouldn't use that particular gem as a descriptor in a scene...I might use it as someone saying something horrific to someone else.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
If you have access to the NC-17 area above, get in there and check out the very long and very informative thread titled "Turn off/gag me sex words".

Although many of those words are just terrible, there's some really good reasons why the usual words are terrible, too.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It would be easier to discuss this in the NC17 area. In the area I was writing I saw the male c-word was the norm, so I used it. No one has every remarked it was inappropriate in any way.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, In my private life , I never use the words you are trying to avoid saying . If I feel my character would use them , to keeps things realistic, I would use the appropriate language. loads of people have said, I can't actuly write , but no one has ever commented on the use of dirty words .

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
I try to vary the words I use to describe body parts and therefore use every one I can think of and have ever heard. I do try to stay away from the PG rated descriptions, ie. his manhood, her love box, and those obviously sicky-sweet references. Then again, my works are pure hardcore, no actions or feelings left unexplained, and done so in the most graphic and explicit mannner.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Basically: 1) don't use anything cheesy unless it's necessary based on the story/character, i.e. manhood. 2) don't use medical terminology unless it's appropriate based on the story/character, i.e. p**is. 3) careful with other words such as c*nt, as some readers don't like the term.

But, yes, this subject is easier to talk about in the NC-17 area.

Alix_Sharpe

Registered
Reaction score
going full throttle Latin seems so very un-sexy.

I laughed so hard at this. Agreed, this is a constant struggle. Even when your POV character does talk like a sailor, sometimes you do want to break up the more graphic descriptions, but the "full throttle latin" is just such a cringeworthy alternate haha. I know there's a middle ground, but in longer stories the good descriptive words can start to feel so repetitive.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
I laughed so hard at this. Agreed, this is a constant struggle. Even when your POV character does talk like a sailor, sometimes you do want to break up the more graphic descriptions, but the "full throttle latin" is just such a cringeworthy alternate haha. I know there's a middle ground, but in longer stories the good descriptive words can start to feel so repetitive.

Especially with Pig Latin.

Melty

Registered
Reaction score
Four letter words, as long as they aren't overused, can arouse the reader more than trying to tiptoe around the issue. I have experimented on many readers willing to give me feedback, and they all said the dirty words made it more appealing. It's true that holding back can make an otherwise passionate romp on the juvenile side... but depending on the day of the week, juvenile is as far as I want to venture. Occasionally, I feel like I'm describing a book on anatomical biology... and then realize that my readers really aren't that interested in the science of it all. :D

KathleenParker

Registered
Reaction score
You could open a scene with a latin descriptor to set the mood, and thus avoid it beind interpreted as PG, but continue the scene using more regular terms for things. It all depends on character, audience, and what your comfortable with conveying.

Pencrafter

Registered
Reaction score
I have no use for devices like, “his manhood.” Or..”their exertions.” this is 2019 and we all know that sex happens and what the right words are. “The right words” are often the dirty ones. If you think back on sex you’ve had, did you and your partner say, “I’m ready for you now to insert your organ into me?” Language like that to me is like ice water on the loins.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Oh, baby, give me your organ! Gee, it's a Wurlitzer!"

Maryn, amusing herself if no one else

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are as many erotic terms as there are erotic people and some won't feel comfortable with what others crave. Same thing in your characters. The terminology needs to fall in character as well as meet the expectations of the reader. That's the hardest part about well-done erotica, as opposed to the 1970's men's magazine letters and stories of that ilk, they have to be realistic, believable and still erotic.

Looking at the broad range of erotica on the market, and there's seems to be a lot of bad erotica making it to market, specific terms can go all across the range, just as they could with any romance genre. You're going to need to fit what you feel comfortable writing into what makes a good story, including the erotica part.

You might want to try a trick I know a few writing groups use, both romance and erotica. Write the stories separately, except for the various love/eroticism scenes, and write those together. Copious amounts of wine and no other distractions work best but, when you're done, each writer's story will have an appropriate amount and style of erotica for the particular story at hand.

Jeff (who can't quite seem to get it up to go full-on erotica)

Meemossis

Registered
Reaction score
I understand you said you write in a serious tone, but I just wanted to throw out some of the words and phrases I used in my amusing naughty scenes.

Peachy rear
Coochy
Naughty bits
Tushy
Rogering
And my favourite, Fifteen-inch Jimmywang