Agents Only Accepting a certain time period

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Hey y'all. I have a question about agents. (I was unsure if whether or not this belongs in the ASK THE AGENT form. If so, I do apologize.)

I've noticed a few agents have said they're interested in 20th century historical fiction. That's great because the MS I'm submitting is in the 1920s and I'm editing another that's set in the 1910s. However, I've also got one set in the 1830s, and if I am lucky enough to ever get any books published, I want to write about different time periods. For instance, I've got an idea about the American Revolution I'm chomping at the bit to get started.

Anyways, my point is that if I submit to one of these agents (the 1920s MS) and they take me on as a client, will they accept my other MSs set in different time periods? Does it depend on the agent?

I know most agents will want to represent your career as a writer, and I would hate to make it all the way to the call to have it all fall apart.

Thoughts and or advice is much appreciated. Again, I am sorry if I submitted to the wrong form.

Thanks.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say that's a conversation to have before signing with the agent. If they say no, they don't have interest in or contacts for books set in other eras, you'd have to decide whether you want them to represent your books set in the 20th century and find someone else for the others.

But I'm guessing a lot would depend on whether they successfully sell your first two books. For instance, if you settle in with a publisher who wants your books from all eras, I can't think of a reason the hypothetical agent wouldn't be willing to negotiate the contracts for the other books.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
I also think you're fine concentrating on your 2 20th century books, and then talking to the agent about anything else. If he or she loves your books, they"ll figure out what to do with future ones.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
It could be that they're saying that because it's what they're interested in right now, possibly because they know editors might be looking for it. Doesn't mean that they're absolutely closed to other periods--just that for now, they're looking for those specific books. Three months from now, it might be a different story.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
It could be that they're saying that because it's what they're interested in right now, possibly because they know editors might be looking for it. Doesn't mean that they're absolutely closed to other periods--just that for now, they're looking for those specific books. Three months from now, it might be a different story.

^ This

The 20th century is the hottest period in historical fiction right now - maybe because of all the anniversaries of WWI / WWII, or because it's still in living memory, or maybe just because it's the new frontier of the ever widening time bracket to be classed as HF. Who knows. But it seems to be out selling every other period at the moment.

And I do mean at the moment.

Who's to say what the hot historical period of tomorrow will be? Agents and publishers aren't looking to jump on a bandwagon that's already trundling to a slow halt - if there's still some mileage in it they'll happily go along for the meantime, but what they really want is to try and predict the next bandwagon. If that turns out to be the early 19th century, they'll be snapping your hand off for that MS.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I started reading Jean Plaidy's books about Tudor queens, and that lead me to periods I had never thought of. If your 20th century books do well, I imagine you'd be able to expand to other periods, as well.