Are old photo albums recyclable?

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My searches give mixed answers. I know old photos are not, this is about the albums. They are too broken down to donate. Are the albums okay to recycle?

JDlugosz

Registered
Reaction score
That depends on what it’s made out of and the abilities of your specific recycling center. If they discard microwave food containers and paper drink cups because it has plastic coatings on the paper, don’t count on anything other than pure paper to be accepted, and if it looks strange to them (not a magazine or newspaper) they'll toss it rather than doing any kind of checking. And what they say to put in the bin (e.g. glass, metal, paper, plastic) isn’t the whole story of what they actually like, so you can’t really tell without investigating the company’s local operations.

You could put it in the bin on the hopes that it does some good.

If you really want it recycled, your best bet is to shred it and compost it yourself.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I could shred the albums myself. But I looked at the recycle can outside and there is a phone number--in big, giant lettering :ROFL:, so I can call and ask them directly.