Current Unconnected Series

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for recs for MG unconnected series. I'm not sure if that's the proper term for it. When I was a kid, the series Goosebumps was really popular. Each book was something scary, but was it's own thing. A kid could pick up book 12 or book 32 and it wouldn't matter. Similar, I was also into things like Nancy Drew and the Babysitters Club. Those were a bit different, as there was a set cast of characters, but they went on their own episodic adventures each book, so it didn't really matter which book a kid picked up. They were also fun to collect.

Do kids still read the series listed above? Are there any new buzz-worthy ones?

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Goosebumps still seems popular, with new titles still being released. As for whether it's as popular as it was in the nineties, I don't think so, at least not here in the UK.

There's a lot of market for children's series still, though not so much for unrelated/connected books. You've got series like Beast Quest, Astrosaurs and the like with the same characters and basic overlying story, but mostly episodic theme

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Most modern chapter book series are like this. After more than fifty books, the kids in the Magic Tree House are still the same ages. Sometimes prior adventures are mentioned in those, but you don't really need to have read the prior books. Look at chapter books in a book store to find recent examples. Nancy Krulik has a new series that might be a good starting point.