Please Vote for my New Covers!

Richard W. Fairbairn

Registered
Reaction score
This is one my friend made (current live):

BTSATake4-page-001-smaller.jpg

This is one I designed:

20171115-BTSA-New-Design-smaller.jpg

I like my own design as the novel is scifi action. My friend would not draw the pictures I asked her to draw for the cover design so I'm left to my own 3D "skills".

All comments gratefully received!

warm regards

Richard

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
While it's quite impressive you were able to draw that character, I have never liked CGI people on covers. They tend to look extra fake (that whole uncanny valley problem) and often, and seriously seriously no offence, signals "self published unprofessional cover". I'm not sure why, but a lot of self published covers tend to go for these CGI characters so you end up, even if the character is really well designed, with a kind of inadvertent sign on your cover of not professionally designed. Heck, even if it is! So in all I really don't think the second one works for you.

Generally I much prefer your friend's. The font is better, as is the layout, and it all just looks a lot more professional.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
I like the first one. If it's currently live, why do you want to change it?? The second one has few elements that look odd. I'm assuming there is an stone arch behind the girl, but at first glance that's not obvious and on the left side (above BEY) there appears to be a large black spot. The weapon holster on her hip looks like a holster for a tourist beverage flask, and the pink thing next to it looks like an enormous puffy hand. Ah, and the fonts are kinda too squat.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for your friend's version. I find your one to be too cluttered. The holster seems odd and I can't make out what's behind her- jaws, a cave? What's the pink blob by the holster - is she actually holding something? It's really not clear.

Your friend's version currently on Amazon is far more appealing and conveys a lot in a single glance. A space vehicle, and trouble close behind.

JDlugosz

Registered
Reaction score
The title reads different in each.

“Beyond the starport adventure”

“Beyond: The Starport Adventure”

The different sized text gives the same suggestion as a subtitle.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
While it's quite impressive you were able to draw that character, I have never liked CGI people on covers. They tend to look extra fake (that whole uncanny valley problem)

Same here. There's something odd about the character's face, and I can't say it appeals to me, whereas the first cover looks much better.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
I'll be the dissenting opinion here, although I'm a bit torn. I like the layout of yours better, and it more clearly communicates the kind of story it is. I'm not sure what the first one is even meant to represent; the spaceship (if that's what it is) almost looks like a retro flying car, and the explosion of colors and random eyes in the background aren't working for me. I might like #1 a bit better without the eyes, actually.

But yeah, CGI people are always a bit uncanny valley, and that can be offputting; #2 does look amateurish even though I prefer the general theme and appearance.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The first, hands down. It looks more professional, and -- don't take this the wrong way, and I'm not sure which genre you're writing, so it may be what you're going for, though the first suggests otherwise -- but a presumed space traveler on the cover with makeup and Farrah hair would make me think it wasn't just a scifi novel, but more like a semi-erotic thing.

Obi-Wan Nobody

Perpetual padawan
Registered
Reaction score
First one looks very nice. Nothing to comment as it seems to be the output of an experienced designer.
On the second one, I have no idea why but I cannot have empathy with the character represented by that girl. And the title of the book is not readable enough.

insolentlad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
insolentlad.com
I'm with the rest. The first is better. The idea for the second isn't necessarily bad. Maybe if the figure were reduced in size a bit, the titling changed up, it would work better.

Richard W. Fairbairn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much. For anyone wondering what the object is in the first picture, it's my 1976 Triumph TR7 which the lead character still drives around in 2195 (in space and on the roads).

I am very happy to hear that the original cover is preferred. Thanks to everyone who commented.

warm regards

Richard

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Knew it was the TR7 mentioned in the SYW submissions. :snoopy:

Thanks very much. For anyone wondering what the object is in the first picture, it's my 1976 Triumph TR7 which the lead character still drives around in 2195 (in space and on the roads).

I am very happy to hear that the original cover is preferred. Thanks to everyone who commented.

warm regards

Richard

pat j

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
This is one my friend made (current live):

BTSATake4-page-001-smaller.jpg

This is one I designed:

20171115-BTSA-New-Design-smaller.jpg

I like my own design as the novel is scifi action. My friend would not draw the pictures I asked her to draw for the cover design so I'm left to my own 3D "skills".

All comments gratefully received!

warm regards

Richard

===========

I prefer the first one.

The second one looks too weird for my taste.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little late here, but with CGI it's extremely difficult to capture faces properly. It is possible, I've seen some amazing images, but until you get to that point it's better to keep their hoods up or have them facing away from the camera.

FlameMaster5

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm with everyone in saying the 1st is better, BUT...
I'm also with The Otter in saying that the 2nd looks to represent your story more in the way I think you'd want your audience to 'see' through your eyes.

If the 2nd were polished, cleaner, the like, I think I'd choose it myself.
I think I like the more direct than vague appearance of what you're trying to suggest to me, I dunno. XD