Concept Stealing

NJWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hello...I don't know if I'm posting this in the correct forum. I guess someone will let me know if I'm not. I'll get right to it: I recently worked w/a freelance editor. She has strong credentials, was a professor of creative writing, etc. She helped me with a CNF piece about racism--being raised in with racist views, etc. This was in September of this year. I just checked her blog, and I discovered that last week she had a piece published about being raised w/racist views & opinions. Different in concept, but not in content. I'm not sure she "stole" my idea, but if she'd been working on this piece when I started working with her, shouldn't she have disclosed this to me? I feel I would have done so had I been in her position. I'd like to say something to her about it, but I'm not sure how to handle it. Comments? Suggestions? This doesn't feel right to me. I def won't work with her again.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If she's written her own piece then I'm not sure you have any complaint. If she's plagiarised your work by using your words, then you do.

It's not ethically right for her to have copied your idea. But ideas can't be protected. Only the expression of them.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
I agree - unless she's actually lifted your text I don't think you can do anything about it. Bummer though, I agree.

NJWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both for replying. I agree, too. It sucks and makes me lose more faith in humanity. If the tables had been turned, and I had the similar essay/content, I would have been up front with my client right from the beginning.