I write freelance. Do I include that as personal fact in my queries?

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
So I write for a couple of jewelry blogs and get paid for it. Well, I write for one and am starting articles for another. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with my fiction manuscripts, which I co-write with my husband. But it is writing.

My husband and I are starting to query for our first MS, and our second will be ready in January for the same.

So... these will be our debut works. And while I have a BA in English, and I am a former lawyer and wrote contracts for years I am not sure if I should mention the freelance writing?

Thoughts?

ajmartinwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I think you can include this because it shows that you have experience, but I just wouldn't be specific about what genre of freelance writing it is. You could say "I have done freelance writing for x years" and leave it at that. Hope this helps, best of luck!

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, thanks for the response ajmartin, I'll have to think about that for a while. The whole BIO thing gives me hives.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I would say any writing that you do in a paid, professional capacity can be briefly mentioned in a query bio, but try to keep it short. The bigger thing is your story-related credits. If an agent is sufficiently interested in you, they'll go and look up your website to see if you have any writing credentials anyway. I'm a full-time, freelance writer myself currently, but when I was querying for an agent, the front and center items in my bio were my short story and comic publications, because those were actually related to fiction writing. Then I briefly mentioned the "written in television and edited for magazines" stuff just towards the end to quickly point out the writing as professional occupation thing. But honestly, store-related achievements will have far more street-cred than non-narrative, professional writing achievements.

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
Shoeless, the issue is neither of us has ANY (like in any way shape or form) credits of any kind for fiction writing. Amateur, professional or otherwise. Or well... any writing period. At all.

So I'm struggling with the Bio thing, and wondering what types of things to include. Thank you for your time.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think you can include this because it shows that you have experience, but I just wouldn't be specific about what genre of freelance writing it is. You could say "I have done freelance writing for x years" and leave it at that. Hope this helps, best of luck!

I wouldn't do that, personally, as I think it looks suspicious and brings up questions. Most people list some of their bigger credits.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shoeless, the issue is neither of us has ANY (like in any way shape or form) credits of any kind for fiction writing. Amateur, professional or otherwise. Or well... any writing period. At all.

Just a quick reminder that Everyone Starts Out Like That :) Don't let it put you off. It just says you're a debut writer, and debut writer - if you're good - is more plus than minus.

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
That's good to know mccardy. Thank you for the perspective. I needed it.