The Perfect Tea?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I probably drink half a gallon of tea every day (no, I'm not kidding). I'm fussy about it, too. I drink black tea in the morning, steeped strong and flavored with milk and sweetener. I like Davidson's organic loose Dunsandle Nilgiri, which I buy in 16-oz bags from Amazon. A bag generally lasts me about three months.

I will occasionally drink flavored or herbal teas. I like some of the blends offered by The Republic of Tea, although the nicest one I've found is called Almond Sugar Cookie, which I've bought in bulk from Wegman's during the holiday season.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried Lapsang Souchong?

When I was fresh out of college and living with my oldest sister (and neither of us had two nickels to rub together), our post-prandial drink was Lapsang Souchong. We referred to it affectionately as "Ol' Wet Rope."

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
I was raised on smoked foods, especially fish and cheese. (Eastern European cuisine is big on preserving by smoking.) No surprise I fell in love with Lapsang Souchong the first time I drank it. But I do agree the smokier versions are an acquired taste. One of my favorites, no longer sold afaik, was described by a British friend as tasting like he had just licked the bottom of a full ashtray. (He also could not believe I actually drank smoked tea without milk or sugar. Wimp! :))

My favorite tea in wintertime is Matcha Gen-Mai Cha. It's a green tea, usually Japanese sencha, mixed with roasted rice and dusted with matcha. It brews up a most improbable green color and has a very nice roasty flavor note (there's that smoke again, but very mild in this case).

My go-to tea when I know I am not the only one drinking it is a Nilgiri from the Iyerpadi estate. It's a nicely balanced black tea that does well plain, with milk or with lemon. If the person I serve it to likes tea at all, he or she will usually like this one. I buy my tea almost exclusively from Upton Teas. They are in the middle of updating their website, so things are a little slow right now, but it's a great site for information and advice.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I adore the "Irish Breakfast" tea by Twinnings.

On the box there is a maker for intensity rated in tea-leafs. It is at the max rating.

It also is delicious.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Picky picky! :p

(Fixed it... and for the benefit of anyone that may not know why it’s an important distinction read this)

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well they're different things -- what type of kettle you use to heat water is another question entirely.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Actually, I could use some advice. We've got a cast-iron teapot that we pour hot water in to steep. How should I be cleaning it?

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Everything I am reading online about teapots boils down (get it? :) ) to a simple rinse after each use. I really liked this article which spoke to pros and cons of five major teapot types:

http://willowandeverett.com/examining-different-teapots-unique-benefits/

It seems like the main criteria to consider when buying are heat retention, and whether or not the teapot itself will trap flavors (ceramic is most susceptible to this according to the above link)

I have no teapots, only a stove top kettle that I've not been all that thrilled with for a number of reasons. For starters, it can't seem to pour water without splashing/spilling if I fill it more than 2 mugs full. Second, it's a designer kettle (yellow exterior) and when I was opening the spout once I saw some brownish yellow color on the inside. I'm not sure if what I am seeing inside the spout is rust or just excess yellow paint from the exterior. Water still comes out clean (no appearance of rust sediment or anything) but I've stopped using it. So, I've reverted to heating my water on the stove in a regular cooking pot then pouring that into a mug and adding the teabag.

Suffice to say, I am in the market for a teapot myself, and think I am going to go with a stainless steel one - I like the clean look of it and the heat retention is on the higher side, plus it's not a huge investment (the two I am liking the most are $35, and $18 respectively LOL)...

https://www.englishteastore.com/stainless-teapot-dartmoor-27oz.html
https://www.englishteastore.com/milo-mayfair-ss-teapot-black.html

Now, if you'll excuse me - time to heat more water! :)

WilliamBarnes38

Registered
Reaction score
I think there is nothing better than Twinings Earl Grey made with two tea bags. Better than coffee any day.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I could use some advice. We've got a cast-iron teapot that we pour hot water in to steep. How should I be cleaning it?
If you are only using the pot to steep the tea in, the best way to clean it is to let it cool, then rinse it with warm water only, and dry it thoroughly.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Suffice to say, I am in the market for a teapot myself, and think I am going to go with a stainless steel one - I like the clean look of it and the heat retention is on the higher side, plus it's not a huge investment (the two I am liking the most are $35, and $18 respectively LOL)...

Stainless steel teapots are a nightmare for burning yourself on. I lost count of the times I accidentally swiped the side of ours - until we got rid of it.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Stainless steel teapots are a nightmare for burning yourself on. I lost count of the times I accidentally swiped the side of ours - until we got rid of it.

Really? What did you end up going with after the stainless steel?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I really want to get a Yixing clay teapot. As I understand it, though, you should use one pot per type of tea because it absorbs the flavor of the tea, and my husband is hesitant to let me have that many tiny teapots... :)

Our daily tea is a just Cane's brewed tea. We drink it in such quantities that we just need something cheap and plentiful.

For hot teas, I like Earl Grey (husband is a bigger fan, though), green teas (I have to have mine with milk or it upsets my stomach), white teas, oolongs, rooibois, yerba mate, and pu-erh (though I am not sure I've actually had authentic pu-erh; mine did not look as expected).

I'm fond of flavors and spice/herbal blends. I once had an amazing coconut assam in a little shop in Houston (that doesn't sell online) that I haven't yet found replicated anywhere else. (And I like chai.)

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would say the stainless steel kettle (with the handle to let out water) would be the way to go. I'm clumsy and I've never burnt myself on it.

Just my opinion though.

Tetley's "Bold" tea is also good. I'm waiting for mine to finish brewing.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking at teapots, not kettles....

RoseDG

Registered
Reaction score
Black tea, flavored with black currants.

Green and white teas trigger acid reflux for me, as does coffee. Black tea is fine, though, so long as it's sweetened.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a fan of ceramic -- stay hot, can be preheated, but the outsides don't get burny hot. Also non-absorbant and easy to clean.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a fan of ceramic -- stay hot, can be preheated, but the outsides don't get burny hot. Also non-absorbant and easy to clean.

So you must have a ceramic teapot that is glazed, correct? According to what I've been reading, if they're not glazed, ceramic teapots are actually quite porous and can absorb the flavors of the tea brewing in them...to wit:

"Ceramic teapots are constructed from porous material. If the pot isn't glazed, it will have the tendency to trap in flavors of whichever tea is brewed inside..."

http://willowandeverett.com/examining-different-teapots-unique-benefits/

If you don't mind elaborating, do you happen to remember where you got your teapot from? I have also been perusing the Palais site and cannot find that smoked tea you referenced earlier. It sounds delish, and would love to try it, but don't know which one it is.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't have unglazed ceramics used for foodstuffs.

I know some are meant to, and I'd generally trust a well-sourced Japanese pot, but in general, you glaze ceramics both because it makes them not porous and because clays can have lead and other things. Glazes can too, but it's much more easily absorbed from unglazed ceramics.

I have a few teapots; they're everywhere, heh.

If you're really into the keeping-warm thing, you might do with a cozied pot. I've an old one of this type (not that brand, no clue on the brand), handed down. This is a perfectly-fine looking basic teapot too. There are tons.

I don't actually know on the tea -- I was going to check with them actually, as I could use more and the store near me closed. Will update when I figure it out!

Last edited:

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't mind the heating of water on the stove each time I have a cup, but can easily see the benefits of adding a teapot for brewing. Then I could simply add to a travel thermos and take it with me (though I am finding out they make infusers for thermoses too...it really is quite an industry! LOL)