• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Non-bubblegum book about one-sided love recommendations

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
I am not at all confident this thread goes here, so please delete it if you must. In my book a 17-year-old high school senior develops a crush on a married 27-year-old. Is there a book (esp novel) you recommend that would provide inspiration? I don't know how to find anything similar besides "teen crush" pop lit.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sort of lost as to what you seek here, Satyesu.

Is the 'about one-sided love recommendations' mentioned in the thread title meant to be the theme? Is the book started? Is it non-fiction? Inspiration for what? If it's fiction, what direction does the story take regarding this crush?

Last edited:

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried searching Goodreads? There are lots of lists there. There's been quite a few one-sided love stories in books in the recent years, some quite famous - the Bella and Jacob storyline from the Twilight books for example. "Gone with the Wind" is a timeless classic, as is "The Remains of the Day" by K.Ishiguro. If you google further with more details of the plot you are looking for, then most probably more books will show up. The problem, of course, will be that if you find a book that has exactly the same plot like yours, and you also use it for "inspiration", wouldn't the result be a copy of said book rather than an original work? :Shrug:

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sort of lost as to what you seek here, Satyesu.

Is the 'about one-sided love recommendations' mentioned in the thread title meant to be the theme? Is the book started? Is it non-fiction? Inspiration for what? If it's fiction, what direction does the story take regarding this crush?
It doesn't have to be the theme, but a theme, yes. My book is started, and it's fiction. I'm just looking for a book recommendation because (though it embarrasses me to admit this) I've never actually had a "normal" relationship - just crushes that don't go anywhere, which the one in my book mainly doesn't. I guess my problem is my crushes usually didn't get past that stage, so I need to know what typically ensues. Because she sort of "goes out with him" as friends, but it's ambiguous whether she's attracted.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be the theme, but a theme, yes. My book is started, and it's fiction. I'm just looking for a book recommendation because (though it embarrasses me to admit this) I've never actually had a "normal" relationship - just crushes that don't go anywhere, which the one in my book mainly doesn't. I guess my problem is my crushes usually didn't get past that stage, so I need to know what typically ensues. Because she sort of "goes out with him" as friends, but it's ambiguous whether she's attracted.
In real life these things usually fizzle out and both parties move on. In fiction - don't you just love fiction? - anything at all can happen, and you get to decide the outcome.

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If a 17-year-old's crush on a married 27-year-old doesn't fizzle, it may be entering the deeply-creepy zone. Look up "Long Island Lolita" for an example of what happens next.

Don't want that to be your model? OK. It's your story -- make up something better!

Another Google idea: "unrequited love" -- it's a classic theme.

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
Roger, thanks. And I'm sure it would fizzle, but she dies. ;)