Should I send a certified letter to agent?

writera

Writ Era
Registered
Reaction score
My agent and I have parted ways. I offered to send a certified letter giving notice as specified in the agreement, but they said there was no need and emailed me to say "This is to confirm we have terminated our agreement, effective today."

My question is, should I still send a certified letter (as specified in the agreement) just to be sure? And do I need to give notice, even though it was waived? The agreement specifies three months notice, but if that's been waived, I'm not sure if I still need to specify that if I do send a certified letter.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Hell yes, send the letter. Follow the contract. You can reference their email if you want (“as per Agent’s email of <date>”), but if the contract specifies a certified letter, send a certified letter.

(I’ve had one too many “oh, nobody will care about that clause” conversations with people myself. It’s a legal contract. Agent can think you’re being pedantic all they want - protect yourself without apology.)

writera

Writ Era
Registered
Reaction score
Ok. I think you're right. I'll send the letter. But I'm not sure about if I need to give notice in the letter? It specifies three months, but the agent waived that, sending me an email, terminating agreement, effective that day.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I've always gone with the email termination (2 instances), both waived the certification and the waiting period - one was an amicable split, the other was unexpected due to extenuating circumstances. Started querying for a new agent the next day.

If sending the letter makes you feel better, then do it.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Ok. I think you're right. I'll send the letter. But I'm not sure about if I need to give notice in the letter? It specifies three months, but the agent waived that, sending me an email, terminating agreement, effective that day.

I'd phrase the letter as a confirmation of the email, and specify that Agent waived the notice.

And save the email for eternity.

(And if you have reasons to be concerned about the integrity of anyone involved, talk to an attorney and follow their advice, because we are all Strangers on the Internet. :))

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
(And if you have reasons to be concerned about the integrity of anyone involved, talk to an attorney and follow their advice, because we are all Strangers on the Internet. :))

^ Yeppers.

Take whatever measures necessary to protect yourself and give you peace of mind.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd phrase the letter as a confirmation of the email, and specify that Agent waived the notice.

And save the email for eternity.

Print an extra copy of the letter being sent certified, print a copy of the email, and staple it all together with your copies of the receipts from the post office. File it away Just In Case for extra CYA insurance. These days, you can't rely on keeping electronic copies of any important correspondence as your sole source of back-up.