Correct Forum? Women's Lit?

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
I have a MS I've written. And it's not a romance. It has a romance in it. But it's absolutely NOT the focus of the book. It's closest to Chick Lit but deals with abuse (not physical). Though one of the agents I'll be querying would refer to it as "Upmarket Women's Fiction." It's in first person and funny, and it is a 'journey of self discovery' but it's not quite Chick Lit either. It's really about becoming someone you like, about friendship and the family you make for yourself instead of the family you are born with.

So... what forum should I be in for that? Is this the right one?

Any assistance appreciated.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For Share Your Work? I would think Contemporary. Romance has fairly rigorous rules and structural expectations.

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
For advice in general, a board like this. What agents, what boards to promote, just general questions I guess.

I didn't know there was a "Contemporary" category. I'll go check it out. THANK YOU (again and again)l.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like women's fiction to me.

I've heard "chick lit" used in a couple different ways. Sometimes to refer to all women's fiction. Other times, more specifically to refer to the light-hearted, often snarky, often written in first-person women's fiction, which was particularly popular about 15 years ago.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Sounds very much like Women's Fiction to me, so this would be the place on AW, although you could seek info on the subjects you mention in various subforums.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that it would be women's fiction. Chick lit, like LJD said, is often more light-hearted, think beach read. There also seems to be a few people making reference to "book-club fiction," which I think tends to deal with heavier issues. So keep an eye out for agents looking for that as well.

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. So, this is the right forum then! Great, thank you.

So... if anyone is still reading.

How do you characterize something like this if you are sending a query? Do you just call it women's fiction.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Yep. The final paragraph of your query would include something like, "[BOOK TITLE] is a [XX,000]-word work of women's fiction," but the query body itself should make it clear, too. Even though you can't post in there yet, you can definitely peruse Query Letter Hell in the Share Your Work section (password: vista). Take a look at the "Successful Queries" sticky.

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
The successful queries thread is great! Query writing is hell, though. Thanks! :hi:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There are very serious chick lits that deal with abuse, war crimes etc. So while not typical for the genre, very serious themes aren't impossible.

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I didn't read many of the more serious ones. The abuse isn't from a romantic relationship. Her mother is abusive.