Roy Moore: Predator(?)

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a defense of Roy Moore:

"Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus.”

Test your political acumen. Is this a quote from the Onion or from an actual Alabama politician?

It was the state auditor, right? Idiot. As Stephen Colbert trenchantly pointed out, the whole point of the Mary+Joseph=Jesus story was that Joseph never touched Mary. Yanno, miraculous virgin birth? That does not seem to be what Roy Moore was involved in.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Moore Fundraises

Alabama Republican Roy Moore sent a fundraising email Thursday afternoon asking for donations to combat the "Obama-Clinton Machine's liberal media lapdogs," hours after The Washington Post published accounts from four women who said that Moore pursued relationships with them when he was in his 30s and they were teenagers.

A defiant Moore, who faced calls from fellow Republicans to end his Senate campaign Thursday, cast the story as a political conspiracy against him and called the story "lies," asking "God-fearing conservatives" to help him carry on.

"The Obama-Clinton Machine's liberal media lapdogs just launched the most vicious and nasty round of attacks against me I've EVER faced," Moore wrote in the fundraising email. "I won't to get into the details of their filthy and sleazy attacks."

"The forces of evil will lie, cheat, steal — even inflict physical harm — if they believe it will silence and shut up Christian conservatives like you and me," Moore continued in the email. "Their goal is to frustrate and slow down our campaign's progress to help the Obama-Clinton Machine silence our conservative message. That's why I must be able to count on the help of God-fearing conservatives like you to stand with me at this critical moment."

The email then asks for an "emergency contribution" to Moore's campaign.

Moore goes on to say he's "planning to slug it out with the Obama-Clinton Machine with everything I've got over the next four weeks before the December 12 Special Election."

It'll help him.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it will hurt him much if at all either. But despite a seemingly endless supply of local party officials stepping up to defend Moore, this happened:

NRSC exits fundraising agreement with Roy Moore's campaign

The National Republican Senatorial Committee is breaking financial ties with Alabama GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore, after explosive allegations that Moore had a sexual encounter with a 14-year-old and pursued three other teenagers when he was in his 30s.

The Friday move by the NRSC is the first major financial tie severed in Moore's campaign, although a number of Republican senators have distanced themselves from him in statements. According to a Friday Federal Election Commission filing, first reported by The Daily Beast, a joint fundraising agreement for Moore's election efforts no longer lists the NRSC, listing only the Alabama Republican Party and the Republican National Committee along with the Judge Roy Moore for U.S. Senate campaign. Previously, the Alabama 2017 Senate Victory Committee also included the NRSC.

Wonder if the RNC will follow.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. The whole "drop out if it's true" thing is a shady way to actually keep him from dropping out. Consider:

1) He should drop out "if it's true."

2) Whether it's true or not, he's going to categorically deny it.

a) If it's untrue, because he's legitimately innocent
b) If it's true, because he's going to lie like a dog

3) Dropping out would now be tantamount to admitting guilt.

4) Result: With one carefully-worded phrase, they've essentially forced him to remain in the running.

If they hadn't said that, he could have dropped out of the race because he felt "unjustly maligned by false accusations," or even the classic, "I want to spend more time with my family." He could have used some excuse or other to remove himself from the public eye. Now though, he's backed into a corner.

Last edited:

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
The National Republican Senatorial Committee has dropped Moore and will no longer work for his election. The Alabama GOP and National Republican Committee are still on board, for now.
If they drop him he'll have a much tougher time.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Well. On CNN today, some talking head said that the Senate conducts a roll call vote to seat any new electee, but my google-fu has not been able to confirm this. The spin on TV was each member will have to go on the record accepting him into the body if he wins, which will make for many, many bunched up tighty-whities and Depends. And some panties, too, because god DAMN but both Collins and Murkowski are on record saying "If true..." :Headbang:

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
At the state level, so far, I am seeing nothing but support. I already posted about the state auditor. Two Alabama County GOP Party Chairmen have also expressed support, one even if Moore did what he's accused of:

Hall also said he didn't see anything wrong with a 30-year old dating a 16-year old.

Others he contacted did not comment.

Gosh darn it, he tried but failed, gosh darn it. Tried but failed, the new moral compass.

Re election he'll still be on the ballot. Whether his vote can be split by another conservative contender I don't know. Certainly this story wont be going away soon.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Moore's standing in the polls has dropped him back to ~even with the Dem opponent, so this leetle bit of a thing already has had some effect. But, hey, the Ten Commandments contained no stricture that read "Thou shalt not grope thy neighbor's ass."

caw

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
A nice piece on Roy Moore and the Christian conservatives by Charles Pierce:
The fact is that Roy Moore is very much who the Republicans are. He is representative of a fanatical splinter of American Protestantism that has accounted for a great deal of the success enjoyed by modern conservatism and the Republican Party for over four decades, and there always has been dark sin at the heart of that success.

The rise of what used to be known as “the religious right” did not begin with the legalization of abortion. That’s a nice story that the various Bible-banging charlatans would like you to believe. No, the institutions that would nurture and produce the religious right were the white-only Christian academies and universities that sprang up in the South as part of the massive resistance to desegregation—the churchgoing end of that strategy. The religious right was not born out of opposition to Roe v. Wade. It was born out of opposition to Brown v. Board.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a13518962/roy-moore-is-who-republicans-are/

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Moore's standing in the polls has dropped him back to ~even with the Dem opponent, so this leetle bit of a thing already has had some effect. But, hey, the Ten Commandments contained no stricture that read "Thou shalt not grope thy neighbor's ass."

caw
No but it does say not to bear false witness and he's almost certainly bearing false witness against the woman who has come forward.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, well...
Alabama state law gives the governor broad authority to set the date of special elections, NYT reports Gov. Kay Ivey may order a new date for the election—sometime early next year—giving Republicans time to ease Roy Moore from the race.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Even when Hannity softballed Roy Moore by asking if he dated teenage girls while in his thirties, he said, "Not generally, no." Which is not, strictly speaking, a "no." He also said,
he doesn’t “remember ever dating any girl without the permission of her mother.”

I can't actually ever recall a boy or man asking either of my parents for permission to date me. Either we were both kids, and they just asked me and I was either allowed to date at that age or not (my parents either knew them or met them before the date), or I was an adult, and men simply asked me out. Doesn't it sound like if Moore was in his thirties and asking girls' parents for permission to date them, they were underage? He sounds creepier and guiltier when trying not to sound creepy or guilty.

Roy Moore's former colleague says it was "common knowledge" he dated teens

A former prosecutor who once worked alongside embattled Alabama GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore in the early 1980s told CNN it was "common knowledge" at the time that Moore dated high school girls.

"It was common knowledge that Roy dated high school girls, everyone we knew thought it was weird," former deputy district attorney Teresa Jones told CNN in comments aired Saturday. "We wondered why someone his age would hang out at high school football games and the mall ... but you really wouldn't say anything to someone like that."

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The Roy Moore saga has generated other quick fallout. Sean Hannity's absurd Fox interview with Moore had caused sponsors to pull out from his show. How long will it be before the Murdoch sons decide that Hannity is more trouble than he's worth, and send him packing to podcasts, along with O'Reilly?

caw

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
How long will it be before the Murdoch sons decide that Hannity is more trouble than he's worth, and send him packing to podcasts, along with O'Reilly?
Hannity will be around until he can no longer dictate domestic policies to the White House.

-cb

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Roy Moore saga has generated other quick fallout. Sean Hannity's absurd Fox interview with Moore had caused sponsors to pull out from his show. How long will it be before the Murdoch sons decide that Hannity is more trouble than he's worth, and send him packing to podcasts, along with O'Reilly?

caw

And people are taking to Twitter to post photos of them destroying their Keurig coffeemakers, a former sponsor. Because nothing says "angry boycott" than destroying something you've already paid for. Sort of like people who complain on Bette Midler's Facebook page she's totally disrepecting 45 by speaking out against him so they're going to throw out all of the albums, CDs, DVDs, tour memorabilia, etc. they've bought over the years. Two things: 1) that they're SO SURPRISED she's such a liberal Democrat is too funny; 2) she done already done cashed that royalty check years ago, honey.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Another woman has come forward with an allegation that Roy Moore assaulted her when she was a teenager. Actually, her account sounds more like an attempted rape.

I believed Roy More would never drop out of the race, and in fact he would be elected, but if women from his past keep surfacing he may have no choice.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/woman-says-roy-moore-tried-to-rape-her-at-16-i-was-begging-him-to-stop

I still wonder if that would make him quit. I mean, he defied the Supreme Court. It'll be interesting to see how many of his ex-colleagues speak on the record. Several of them are already saying him dating teens was a well-known open secret. But this is Alabama, and from all the quotes I've seen from voters there, it all just makes him more appealing. I donated to Doug Jones's campaign last night, but I'm considering it a lost cause.

And people are taking to Twitter to post photos of them destroying their Keurig coffeemakers, a former sponsor. Because nothing says "angry boycott" than destroying something you've already paid for. Sort of like people who complain on Bette Midler's Facebook page she's totally disrepecting 45 by speaking out against him so they're going to throw out all of the albums, CDs, DVDs, tour memorabilia, etc. they've bought over the years. Two things: 1) that they're SO SURPRISED she's such a liberal Democrat is too funny; 2) she done already done cashed that royalty check years ago, honey.

Reminds me of JK Rowling's tweet to someone who tweeted at her they were going to burn their copies of her books & movies because of her Trump-hate. "I will now burn your books, and movies, too," to which she responded:

"Well, the fumes from the DVDs might be toxic and I've still got your money, so by all means borrow my lighter."

*tssssss*

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting that the Moore campaign's first response to the new accuser against him was to attack Gloria Allred, who is representing her. And while they do slam Allred for being "sensationalist," their bigger slam is that she represented Jane Roe in Roe v. Wade, causing the deaths of "tens of millions of unborn babies."
This isn't even dog whistling anymore, it's loud, persistent howling in all directions. And the hypocrisy stench is almost visible - Moore is so worried about unborn babies, but let one actually get born a female and all bets are off.

Last edited:

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
And the hypocrisy stench is almost visible - Moore is so worried about unborn babies, but let one actually get born a female, all bets are off.

I wonder if the one thing that may do him in is if it comes out he impregnated one of those girls he molested and then forced her to have an abortion.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the one thing that may do him in is if it comes out he impregnated one of those girls he molested and then forced her to have an abortion.

Ooh, interesting! That would put his supporters in a bind!