Quote Originally Posted by bugbite View Post
Out of everything that I've used, I think pens from the dollar store are the best. When the ink cartridges get warmed up I think they run great. (I had to scribble for like ten minutes before I would use them to write.)

When I wrote a lot on pen, and paper I had bouts of carpal tunnel, and I wondered if a heavy pen would help. I always thought fountain pens were a nuisance until reading this thread. Are they really something to write a manuscript with, or are they more of an elegant thing?
How good is your penmanship?

I never acquired a fine flowing hand. I was taught it in school, but lacked the patience to do the exercises that would embed it in muscle memory.

My longhand is unintelligible, even by me. If I needed to hand write something others might have to read. I used block printing.

I was a graphic designer and print production guy decades back, and I used to be able to hand letter comps folks thought had been typeset. I can't now - I have simply lost my hand.

And I've spent too many years at a keyboard, so even my block printing suffers because it has become a chore.

I admire fine fountain pens, but would not buy one, as I can no longer make effective use of them.

And I've seen various conversations elsewhere on whether it even makes sense now to teach kids penmanship in school. (I think it does, but you can argue the point with some justification.)

(I did observe a writer first drafting in longhand on a yellow legal pad in the lobby of a hotel at an SF con. She said yes, that's what she was doing, because it was what that story needed. I was charmed. I couldn't do it.)

Carpal tunnel is all about posture and position. My SO was trained in her younger days at the Catherine Gibbs Secretarial School. The first thing they taught was posture and position. The workspace needed to be set up so the secretary was sitting up straight in her chair, and her keyboard was level with the position of her hands, so her fingers could use the keyboard without her wrists flexing. (Braces to treat carpal tunnel are designed to prevent the wrists from flexing, as it was the flexing that caused the problem in the first place.) She never developed CTS, and neither have I because my work spaces have been correctly arranged. Folks whose writing posture is sprawled on a couch with a keyboard on their lap need to rethink how they do things.
______
Dennis