NaNoWriMo 2017: Word Count Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Day 28: 1,507; 59,093 total.

There's something nice about knowing how your WIP's first draft is a complete and utter trainwreck, where you planned scenes in terrible order and didn't properly foreshadow/build up to important things...but at least you've got ideas on how the second draft can fix all that!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the family tragedy BenPanced, that really sucks. :(

Thank you. I'll probably be coping with it for a very long time but the healing process has begun.

Day 29: 1221 - 58,307

I thought I was going to abandon the project after validating the win but some character development happened when I least expected it. I suspect I'll try to keep going until I reach a logical/real ending but the filler/extraneous material is making me gag. Which make excising unwanted words just that much more easier.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Day 29: 106
Total: 52,799

I was going to write a cute but unpublishable short story today after having some inspiration on it yesterday night. I also had a little inspiration on the aPB threequel that I already wrote 2 scenes for. Since we are so slow at work, they've been encouraging us to take time off if we want it. But I was getting trained on something at 10am and at 1pm today, so I knew I wouldn't be too early. I was thinking of leaving around 2 or 3, giving me lots of time to write at Panera before my 6pm chorus rehearsal.

At 2:30, I broke a pipette in my hand, slicing through my glove and finger, and we spent an hour and a half deciding whether I would go to urgent care before I was sent at my 8-hour mark. I then was taken immediately to a room and then sat there forever. I was ready to write on my computer (which lives in my purse) in the waiting room, but didn't think it was good idea to pull it out in the exam room (especially not while my finger was bleeding, and also I had to fill out paperwork for part of that time). Wish I had had a notebook. Anyway, that ate up all my writing time before chorus, so I'm glad I did some description addition during lunch earlier.

One more day. My goal is to have word count changes on each day, so I get that 30-day update badge!

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Day 29: 2,932 words, 62,025 total.

Today is the day I finish this story! ...is what I would say if I hadn't skipped a bunch of scenes in the middle and fight scenes because I wasn't sure of my ideas for them...

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Day 29 - Up to 42,000 words. Let's see how much can be done in the last day....

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
And...Day 30: 4,071 words, for a grand total of 66,096 words.

Ending it now, because...well, I just wrote the ending. It's not finished at all—I skipped several chapters in the middle 'cause I wasn't confident about my ideas for those parts, and haven't done a few fight scenes—but I do know what'll go in there, in the vague general sense. I've realized where I've fallen flat in the first draft, where I should add in extra bits, and foreshadowing that I definitely need to work into subsequent drafts.

It may be an unrefined trainwreck (with several of the middle cars outright not existing) as it is now, but...I'm nothing but happy with it and myself for sticking to it.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Validated and finished (with NaNo, not the story), got a little hairy at the end there since I wasn't ambitious to go over the 1667 mark everyday. Kind of dealing with conflicted feelings over it, started with the idea that 'OMG this is my best story EVAR', and plantsing is down had left me somewhat deflated about the lack of conflict, strong characters, and how hard it is to write about thinking zombies. Well, that's how it goes, I guess I should just sit back and enjoy the many, many frustrations yet to come on this project. Here's to a more relaxing December where I complete the draft at my own pace.

Congrats to all you Nano phenoms out there, regardless of where you ended up! :partyguy:

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 30 - 742

Final total: 10,221 :hooray:

I made it! Not to 50K, but hell, I wrote every damn day this month. It was all new stuff, too. I could have upped my word count a couple times by rewriting/retyping some stuff I did before November, but I felt like that would be cheating. This is still a win for me, and it's an honest win.

I'm going to continue into December, this time with a goal of 1000 words (or better) every day. Since I'm now allowed to use existing stuff (those 10,000 words were a continuation of two pre-existing stories that got stalled), I should be able to pull that off.

Congrats to everybody, especially my fellow Turtlewriters. I'm waiting here at the finish line, cheering you on.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness. I hope you're okay! I had chemistry lab in June and I was always paranoid I was going to do that, or you know, light myself on fire or something.
Amazingly, I was trying to avoid the more dangerous-seeming task, which was bending hot pipettes after putting them in fire

Anyway, I'm totally fine. No stitches, just tape.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Some days since I last posted: words!
Day 30: 1879

Total: 50,504 (or by NaNo site, 50,804)

I made it! I only really just slipped in, but given my month, it's absolutely an achievement. I'm not sure how far I am from the end of the book - I'm at the spot where the characters are discovering the information that will lead to the climax - but I write short on first drafts. Mostly because I tend to skim over important things like filling plot holes. And description. And characterisation. And... :p

But I got there!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Day 30: 1942 - 60,249

I'm just giving up. Again, not sure how much I'll be able to salvage and I've just found an interesting angle to explore, but so far, it's only the one interesting angle.

Jiloa

On Purpose
Registered
Reaction score
Day 21: 646
Day 22: 341
Day 23: 1,789
Day 24: 1,712
Day 25: 1,524
Day 26: 387
Day 27: 379
Day 28: 935
Day 29: 1,324
Day 30: 1,075

Total: 50,127
Just crossed 50k and validated. This was my hardest year by far, but I'm glad I kept going.

Congrats to all the winners and everyone who wrote something new!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Day 30: 308
Total: 53,107

Great job, everyone! And I love hearing stories of people who squeaked in :greenie

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so happy to see all the success--I've been following a lot of you on the nano site! Congrats everyone! I made it to 77,731, which is less than word said, LOL! It was a blast!!! I'm so excited to have another book to finish and polish!

It was hard, but tonight, I counted words toward how am I gonna end this thing with plotting ramblings, then finally launched off in a scene. I was so happy to end with a bang, coz the last few days since Thanksgiving have been pretty weak!

Congrats everyone!!!

:hooray:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sad to see that NaNo did not give me credit for updating my word count every day because one day I went negative. Grrrr.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com

I've finished a light round of editing and lost roughly a thousand words. Typical for me. Next is a final read-through and then formatting. Once that sucker is converted to PDF it's going on my Kindle and then I'm required to leave it alone and move on to something new.

Congratulations to all the winners!! And a double thumbs-up to everyone who wrote this month!! :D

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Last night (Dec 20th) I finally finished my NaNo novel. It hit 130k in the end, and much of that needs cutting. I also have plans already for how to revise it, but for now I'm going to do a read-through and correct obvious things, including removing superfluous paragraphs/scenes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.