Escalating conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like my plot might be boring. My novel is from the POV of a 17-year old and describes that year of his life - from Easter and high school graduation to ~the end of his first term of college. A lot of conflict with family and friends happens during that time, but I fear the action might be too spread out, not compelling, too simple, etc. Would anyone please suggest something that might help?

pamrobi

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a clear common thread or goal that runs through the whole thing, aside from growing up and getting out of high school and into college? Is there a romance going on, something the MC wants to achieve or avoid? Does one of the conflicts dominate the narrative? I'd suggest identifying one main element and a couple of sub plots that engage your MC, then making sure he is active on them throughout your novel and reach some kind of climax/conclusion at the end.

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
Events can be spread out because it's perfectly okay to skip ahead a month here and there if nothing compelling is going on. That's far preferable to filler chapters that don't advance plot.

If you had to describe your plot in one sentence, what would it be?

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Review every scene and think if it's going to be interesting to read. Then think of something to spice it up. Read several books, see what the characters are doing there, what scenes the author has picked out to share with their readers. Bounce ideas with friends, make stories about everyday events. You are sitting on the sofa, the dog sleeps by your feet - what exciting stuff could happen?
:e2bouncey

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
Events can be spread out because it's perfectly okay to skip ahead a month here and there if nothing compelling is going on. That's far preferable to filler chapters that don't advance plot.

If you had to describe your plot in one sentence, what would it be?
"A devoutly Catholic high school senior becomes a resilient adult through heartbreak and emotional turmoil, familial and fraternal tragedy, and self-discovery."

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Have him survive a serious traffic accident, in which he may or may not be at fault. Let the ensuing aftermath, the emotional toll, and the potential legal liability shake the very foundation of his character. See what paths this turn of events might suggest. Keep it plausible, all the better for teen readers to relate/identify with the MC.

J L Louis

Registered
Reaction score
"A devoutly Catholic high school senior becomes a resilient adult through heartbreak and emotional turmoil, familial and fraternal tragedy, and self-discovery."

All of that can be those things can be quite eventful and it is a solid one-line description. I have found that the harder life is for your protagonist, the better the story builds. Through emotional turmoil and tragedy, does your character end up in an impossible situation? Is he forced into abandoning his principles due the sequence of events? As readers, we want things to get messy. Perhaps your character has a character trait that he may not be aware of, but through his actions, it becomes evident to the reader. Something that has worked for me is to introduce a character that brings excitement, something that perhaps the protagonist lacks.

My current novel deals with some similar themes of paternal tragedy and emotional turmoil, and happens in my character's early twenties. It is certainly a challenge to feel like your story brings enough excitement when it doesn't fall into an exciting genre such SFF, etc.

Best of luck with your story!

Status
Not open for further replies.