Something from a newbie

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I have never really written a poem before, except when it was assigned in class. For some reason, yesterday, I wrote one. I'd love to hear some feedback from people who know more about it. I liked writing this, and I'd like to improve on it. Who knows? Maybe I will be posting in here more regularly. Thank you for your time.

He pounds the nails
Into a plank of wood
And wraps the string
Around the coke bottle.
He plugs it in
And scratches out a few notes.

He picks up
An expensive electric guitar
And pounds on it like it's
Old junk.

He likes the crackle
Of the needle
On the record.
The sound is imperfect,
But not to him.

His favorite record is
The sound of one man clapping.

When I was little,
I would roll
A piece of paper
Into a cone shape
And tape on a needle.
I would spin the record
On a pencil
And make the song come out
As fast
Or as slow
As I wanted.

I bet he used to do that, too.

Because he has
All the guitars
He wants
And still
He chooses
to wrap the string
Around the coke bottle
And scratch out a few notes.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I find myself unable to write poetry about small things and human moments, I tend to only do it when my emotions get too overwhelming. So I always admire poets who can capture the smaller observations, which I think you did quite well here. There's a certain quaintess to this poem that I did not expect and enjoyed.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I actually love this. It makes me think of how individual our pleasures are. We come together in the arts, sports, and even religion to give some commonality to what we love, but there's only so much sharing we can ever do.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I liked it, too, Celia.

Can't make any constructive comments because I'm ignorant about poetry.

I remember doing that needle-on-record thing on our old HMV gramophone in the late 1940's and 50's. And also flicking the fast/slow guide back and forth. Happy memories.

Ikarus

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be honest. I'm a skeptic and a critic by nature so I have to ignore a lot of the thoughts I have or I'll get in trouble. When I read this, I was very skeptical about the form and style. It seems to tell a skeleton of a story, bare bones and no flesh. And then the focus of the narrator changed and it sounded like bones rattling. I wasn't ready for it. And maybe I shouldn't have been.

And then I got to the end and felt like this great symmetry had been achieved. I could see your skeleton happily plucking away and I knew it was right. I'm trying to find a single line that made it, that delivered the intent, but I can't and that speaks for itself. A complete piece can't be pulled apart. The change in narrative focus helps deliver the meaning. It makes it more personal. I like this a lot and I'm glad that you wrote it.

textcat

Registered
Reaction score
i liked this very much. please do more.

if you ever want to mess around with this i recommend playing around with the line breaks. like the needle taped to the cone line breaks will make the poem go as fast or as slow as you like. also, they emphasize different things depending on where you make the breaks.

but i like it just the way it is.

DeviatedDavid

Banned
Reaction score
The poem stole my heart when I came to the part where the needle cracked or crackled on the record. That reminded me of a guy who once said that coming home, and hearing his wife fry onions and garlic, was like love. Also, I miss the frying pan sound of old fashioned records.

Good poetry gives you concrete things you can smell and hear and touch, and you achieve that.

However, I am not too sure of the sequencing of the poem.

For example, the protagonist in the peom sounds like a guy who would like the sound of one hand clapping, but I am not sure if you said that at the right juncture

All in all, I think its damn good.