Querying a Picture Book.

MystikPiglit

Registered
Reaction score
When querying an agent, with the text for a picture book, should I say that I am hoping it will be a series?
I am a complete novice at all this, so any advice would be appreciated. :)

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about picture books in particular, but from what I've picked up here, it seems a lot safer to say about any book you're pitching and want to be the start of a series, "It's a stand-alone with series potential".

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Picture books are their own monsters.

Most agents won't touch them from authors who haven't already been published - the profit margin is too low. Most of the time, you pitch the book / series to the publisher directly. It's been years since I've done this, but when I pitched a series, I sent book 1, then put a 2-sentence hook / blurb for three additional books.

You might try visiting the Verla Kay Blueboards, which are focused on young reader / picture books. They'd have more current information.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Picture books are now being taken by some agents, but you have to query one while having two more ready to go. These shouldn't be two within the series but rather separate books. It also helps a lot if you are an author/illustrator. (I'm a Mod of the formerly Verla Kay Blueboards, now the SCBWI Blueboards still run by Verla.)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Ack! Sorry, I didn't know the boards had changed their name. I haven't stopped in over there in years. I think my username's been purged by now.