Horner's Syndrome in Cat

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Horner's syndrome? My poor cat is dealing with it now, following an ear cleaning at the vet's office for two ear infections. I'm talking to the vet daily and we have a plan going into tomorrow, but it's three days now with no food. I've opened up all kind of things for him to try and he's interested in some of it but it's almost like he's too disoriented to figure out how to eat it. He's on Dramamine.

Does anyone have experience for what worked for their cat? This could go on for weeks before it's resolved and I just feel so bad for the poor guy.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Poor thing -- can he drink?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
No water. We're talking fluids tomorrow if I can't get him to eat something tonight.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Has he been grooming at all?

Have you tried smearing some food on his nose, then leg or paw to see if he can lick it off? It might get him started, and if he can do that -- lick his own paw, and you can sit and dab food on it, better than nothing?

Have you tried really diluting food? Like making something very soupy and trying a little bit of it on a plate?

Have you tried switching the level, like raising stuff high or holding a plate up to him? I'd think bending over can't help?

I don't have experience with this in particular, sorry, just suggestions in a general sense...

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
All good suggestions, thank you, and tried variations of everything. Plates, bowls, high, low, angled, broths, pastes, wet and dry, under his nose while sleeping. The things he's interested in he licks at but barely, then turns away. Putting anything on his nose just makes him want to run away, which exacerbates the dizziness.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
My only suggestion - a little bit of tuna (the strong smell sometimes stimulates appetite) - probably wouldn't help, since it sounds like the big problem's his dizziness and not necessarily a lack of appetite.

Fingers crossed he starts feeling up to food soon. Sometimes just making the vet appointment is enough...

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I thought we had near winner with tuna but he ultimately declined.

The vet saw him today and we'll be back in tomorrow for fluids and potential syringe feeding unless he shows an improvement toward food tonight.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
One of our cats is a reluctant eater when she's ill, and warming her food really helps. Failing that, your vet can prescribe an appetite stimulant and an anti-nausea medication, which might well help.

I hope you sort this out. It's so upsetting.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much. He's on fluids, anti-nausea and steroids, which in addition to hopefully reducing any inflammation should also help with appetite. We've discussed a full-blown appetite stimulant.

I did try some warm chicken yesterday that was ultimately a no go, but without a microwave I have to get creative about warming other foods. He's started to come around and show more interest in food and is most interested in things like hard treats and kibble, but he picks it up and lets it fall out of his mouth as if he doesn't know what to do with it after he gets it. He turns his nose up at any broths, pastes and gravies that he'd just need to lick, and has fought off any attempts at syringe feeding... which is in of itself a miracle because I can't fathom from where his energy is coming at this point.

Last edited: