• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lantia Publishing / Pentian

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
This popped up via a post in multiple FB groups tonight.

http://pentian.com/

Possibly a publishing oriented crowdfunding platform. However, the ads for it (formatted as links to a particular book campaign by a specific author) began with "My book was accepted by a publisher!" which makes me very concerned about how the thing is being marketed.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Interested to see this--thanks, Aggy. To me, it looks like an assisted publishing service. The site looks pretty sharp, although there's a bit of Spanish (that does not seem intentional) on some English-language pages.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
BACKERS
Did you know that most of the "best sellers" also had difficulty finding a publisher? With Pentian backers have the ability to support new talent and help them not only publish, but also share part of the royalties from the sales generated.
https://pentian.com/main/how_it_works

I suppose the first sentence is true insofar as most books weren't accepted by the first publisher the author (or, perhaps more importantly, the agent) approached, but surely the point is that best-selling books DID find a publisher - a publisher who turned the books into best-sellers by getting them into bookstores, which Pentian cannot do. Pentian books are

...traded internationally in the best and largest online associated bookstores.
https://pentian.com/main/distribucion

From "How It Works":

Authors present their work with the technical support of the publisher.
https://pentian.com/main/how_it_works

What exactly is "technical support"? Nowhere is it stated that there is any quality control, editing, etc. The first English-language Pentian book I looked at suggests that there isn't:

https://www.amazon.es/dp/1635030730/

$2000 (£1516) was raised to publish the book. Sales will almost certainly be limited to the author's family and friends, and royalties will have to be shared with the backers. He would have been better off going with CreateSpace. The paperback version has 144 pages and costs a whopping £12.50 ($16.48).

More info about Pentian:

Pentian
Unlike other platforms, Spanish crowdfunding publisher Pentian offers royalties to reward supporters. To better include backers in the publishing process beyond just the initial investment, the backers share royalties with the author, which helps encourage promotion beyond the initial investment. For pledges ranging from $10 to $50 for example, a contributor may get a signed copy or a percentage of sales in proportion to their donated amount.
Another unique feature is a cap placed on the amount of money that can be raised. On Kickstarter campaigns this can exceed the target amount, while Pentian closes donations and begins production of the book when the amount of money needed for publication is raised.
Like Inkshares, Pentian also provides services from editorial to distribution and publicity for their authors and acts as publisher in addition to platform for raising funds.
Last year, Pentian expanded their operations beyond Europe and into North America, promoting the service to writers in multiple languages. Currently, they have 1600 titles registered on the platform, with an average of 180 books a month being registered. Support for the projects tend to come from the author’s home country plus some funding from Pentian’s network in Spain.
http://www.ingenta.com/blog-article/crowdfunding-where-publishing-meets-pledges/

None of the three directors have any experience in the publishing industry:

http://pentian.com/main/directors

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
When I glanced through the site last night it looked like a crowdfunding platform. Nothing wrong with that. The "backers get a royalties percentage" is a little odd, but for folks who are looking to self-publish I suppose it could be a good way to find capital. Still a bit leery of the fact that it's being presented as if Pentian is a publisher (rather than a crowdfunding source).

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Pentian is a publisher. From the book I mentioned in my first post:

Published by: PENTIAN
LANTIA PUBLISHING, S.L.
Cuesta del Rosario,8
Sevilla 41004
Spain

The Pentian logo also appears on the cover of every book in the shop. Lantia was founded in 2013 by Pentian CEO Enrique Parrilla.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
How it seems to work, according to their FAQ: crowdfunding raises $2000, which goes to Pentian's "amazing team of editors, marketing pros, and designers in house who will take care of all of the details" (zero of the crowdfunded money goes to the author). Books mostly are sold digitally, and paperback copies seem to be POD, both of which require Pentian to spend little of the cash on actual production.

So Pentian is paid for their share of the work by crowdfunding, then they take 10% of any sales on top of that. Authors give them sales rights for three years, and if they want to be successful, should "Self-Promote to the Max."

What can the author expect in return? "Successful authors on Pentian have earned, on average, between $800 - $1,400 on their books in the first three years." Sort of a meaningless phrase at best, since the average presumably doesn't include the unsuccessful authors. But even the upper figure means the backers who invested in the project won't earn their money back: the $2000 stake comes from them and they receive 50% of the royalties, so a book would have to make $4000 for them to break even--and the author's 40% share of that would be $1600, more than the upper figure a "successful" author makes.

Looks like nobody wins but Pentian.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Having looked at more English-language titles I have to wonder who Pentian's "amazing" editors are and what exactly they do. Most of the books are littered with errors (especially regarding punctuation and dialogue), and quite a few of their would-be authors clearly speak English as a second language. Many titles have raised no money whatsoever and have only a week left in which to do so. I wonder how many poorly-informed people will be tempted to put up the money themselves rather than lose the opportunity of being part of Pentian's "publishing revolution"?

Rather oddly, one of Pentian's "bestsellers" is a novel by Mary Sheldon, daughter of Sidney Sheldon. It was crowdfunded to the extent of a record-breaking $10000, but POD being what it is the book has a less than impressive Amazon ranking of 8,045,189.

ETA: I just noticed this:

Pentian works with global distributors for real bookshelves as well, and if that's where we think your book will do well, that's where it will go.

I wonder if Pentian can provide some examples of this.

In answer to the question "How much can I expect to earn from my book?"

That depends entirely on your book. If you've written the next Harry Potter or Gone Girl, the sky's the limit.
https://pentian.com/main/faq

The obvious response to this is that if J K Rowling or Gillian Flynn had published with Pentian nobody would have heard of them.

It's not just the editors who seem to have an easy job at Pentian - the "marketing pros" can't be overstretched if the authors have to "self-promote to the max", and although quite a few of the covers aren't bad they're no better than stuff I've seen on Fiverr.

Finally, Pentian claims to be "the crowdfunding platform that allows every reader to become a publisher". But if Pentian handles "allocation and management of ISBN" the reader (don't they mean "writer"?) isn't the publisher. If you don't own the ISBN you haven't self-published.

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
From the Pentian blog, dated 11/10/2014:

One of the newest exciting publishers to break into the US, Pentian has seen its premier English title Cyberwar by R.J. Huneke, get 100% funding and is readying a release date of the thriller novel.

Cyberwar is coming to bookstores this fall, in e-book and hardcover.

https://pentian.com/blog

The dialogue tag abuse in the excerpt on Amazon will make you want to scream. No reputable publisher would release a book in this state. I can't imagine any bookstore manager flicking through the first pages and thinking "Yes, this is just the sort of thing readers want!" Neither the paperback nor hardback has an Amazon rating.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Ah. Gotcha. There's a horror publisher here in the US that does a considerable amount of crowdfunding (via Kickstarter) for their books - though as far as I know they don't offer backers a royalty share. (It's more of a really aggressive pre-order format, plus limited run perks like signed postcards, bookmarks, etc.)

All the tags on the post I saw (in multiple groups but same post) were heavy on the crowdfunding aspect so I didn't make the connection it was a publisher running a crowdfunding effort and not a crowdfunding platform someone was calling a publisher. My bad. :p

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
From the Pentian blog, dated 11/10/2014:

The dialogue tag abuse in the excerpt on Amazon will make you want to scream. No reputable publisher would release a book in this state. I can't imagine any bookstore manager flicking through the first pages and thinking "Yes, this is just the sort of thing readers want!" Neither the paperback nor hardback has an Amazon rating.

Ugh. Also use of "a transgender" to refer to a character some ways through the book. Can't tell if it's just awkward writing (there seems to be a lot) or ignorance or....

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Yup. This does seem to be another case of non-publishers trying to reinvent not only the wheel, but the foot. I'm not even bothering to research more, after seeing some of those typos.

Even when there aren't obvious typos, the writing can be clunky. Check out the excerpt for 'The Stars Will Always Shine'. The run-ons are painful.

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
It's all too easy to imagine what some poor writers will have to go through thanks to Pentian. You're desperate to be published, you've begged your friends, family, old English teacher etc to throw $2000 your way...then your unedited first draft is launched upon an uncaring world and you sell five copies, leaving you feeling horribly embarrassed to face the poor well-meaning suckers who'll never see their money again.

ETA: it's sad (in an infuriating way) to see how many Pentian books are collections of poetry. Backers have paid Pentian thousands of dollars to produce books which, having no commercial appeal whatsoever, could have been published for virtually nothing through CreateSpace.

Last edited: