Language Learning

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I've read that listening to native speakers, even if <snip> you haven't got time to watch telenovelas <snip> turn them on in the background.

This works.

From experience, this is a very useful method. It also works with languages you don't understand, for example, I don't understand Japanese or Korean, but occasionally have programmes or songs in those languages playing the background. Still don't understand what they're saying/singing, but can definitely pick out individual words and tones.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I know it definitely works. I actually started picking up Japanese entirely by watching (a lot of) subbed anime when I was really bored one summer. At one point I realized I was actually starting to think in Japanese while I was watching, and that was how the concept of fluency in a non-native language finally clicked for me.

I've actually been watching Twitch streams when I have a chance. Because there's usually just one person talking, often with face video, I can focus easily on the individual words. And because the subject matter is familiar (I pick games I know and/or have played extensively), I understand the context naturally. Plus, with Twitch chat I can also read and when I get brave enough, actively join the conversation. Last stream I was watching, they also had the subtitles on for the game, which I found immensely useful. The creative channel can be nice too, usually more laid back and conversational on a general level.

I'll still get into other media as well, I just find Twitch to be a good option when I'm tired after a long day at work and can just throw it on to listen to while I wind down for the evening.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Yesterday was my first milestone: 30 straight days of learning Portuguese!

I plan to reward myself with a resource to further my studies, does anyone else do something like that? I figured I would make sure I'm actually serious/invested enough in learning before I started buying a bunch of stuff. Even when I'm feeling unmotivated I still push myself to continue, because every day I understand a little bit more.

I haven't decided what to get, yet. I may hold off on actually buying anything until I'm done with the Duolingo tree. I planned it out and if I stick to my schedule I will have it done literally at the end of this year. I am already a little bit behind; the app crashed multiple times last night and I got fed up and quit after doing 7 of the 9 in that lesson set. That's actually my next reward milestone, too.

How's everyone else doing? It'll be tough maintaining the streak during such a busy time of year, but we can do this!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I got up to a 47-day streak with German on Duolingo, then missed a day while traveling. Back up to 5 days now. I'm at the point where Duolingo isn't enough--I feel like I'll retain things better if I mix things up, so have started shopping for a good basic textbook and other study aids like workbooks and flash cards.

I also added French on Duolingo, which I took all through junior high and high school. I'm both pleased that I can test out of a lot of it and frustrated at how much I don't remember.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Update: as of today I finally finished my Portuguese tree and got my golden owl. Whew! That took a lot longer than expected. But I mean, I did take a long break during the holiday season, then the crowns update dropped, then I was selected as a tester for the new tree...but I got there!

Now to actually gild the whole tree to match the shiny owl. I also plan to do the reverse tree and all the stories.

I really want to start reading some books also. Does anyone have any good sources for foreign language books? Particularly paper copies. Amazon doesn't seem to be much help here.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on finishing the tree and getting the owl!

Sources for paper backs in non-English? The local POC areas / shops? E.g., Chinatown.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to get back into learning German, hopefully!

Does anyone have any tips for learning a language? I want to try and get into it. I think it'll be a great skill for prospective employers or if I want to try and work overseas. :)

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I think different people learn languages differently. I'm also of the opinion that you absorb information differently at different ages. That's why there's an entire curricula that has evolved around adult learning theory, because adults absorb and learn differently than kids.

Kids exposed to alternate cultures and languages at a younger age are more adept at picking up languages both then and later in life. My folks made it a crucial part of our upbringing to expose us as much as possible to other languages and cultures. It helped that my father was a French professor, and later the Chairman of the Foreign Languages department.

As a result, my familial lingual skills are as follows:

Dad
English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Swedish, Finnish, German, and a bit of Russian and Chinese

Brother
English, Portuguese, Spanish

Sister
English, Swedish

Me
English and a bit of Spanish and French

Mother
English, and a bit of Spanish and French

The point?
Some people have a better ability to learn new languages than others, and if you're not "programmed" that way, no modalities may be able to help. For me, the only way I was able to learn any Spanish or French was through immersion in the culture. So, by reading books, watching TV game shows, and talking to locals when visiting Mexico and France.

I took Spanish for 7 years in high school and college - I know the "shoe verb" format, and can recognize masculine versus feminine nouns, but colloquial or conversational Spanish wasn't really attainable for me until the immersion. Even after that, I am usually only able to converse for about 5-10 minutes before I start getting to the limits of my vocabulary.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I am not a linguist, no matter that the Army said I was years ago. However, at various times in my life I learned Spanish, Czech, Slovak, and Arabic (Modern Standard & Syrian dialect). Over time, I've picked up a few phrases (recognize words) of French, German, Polish, Russian, and Japanese, but in no way, shape, or form would I say I've formally studied them. (In fact, 90% of my Japanese comes from either practicing Kendo or watching Anime. *grin*)

The only ones I became semi-fluent at were Czech and Slovak. Arabic is a beautiful language with a grammar system that actually makes sense, but trying to learn it at 30 was just beyond my brain neuron's capabilities. Six hours of classroom training and two to four hours of homework a night over 52 weeks of training qualified me at at 1/1/1 level (on a scale of 5). I simply couldn't progress in Arabic to where I wasn't reading it word by word (sometimes letter by letter), and it is definitely a nuanced language where you need to be able to take in whole chunks and process them to get the actual meaning of what's being said/written. Perhaps if I had started learning Arabic at 18 like most of my classmates, I might have taken to it better, but you plays the hand you're dealt.

I generally tell people, I'm bilingual - I speak both English and Ozark. *grin*

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I think I've said this before, but watching old tv shows and/or movies (that are dubbed in another language)
that I know thoroughly in English helps me a lot with modern languages.

My go-tos are Star Wars films, old American Westerns (Gunsmoke and Bonanza are in a lot of languages) and Original Series Star Trek.

Jennie

Registered
Reaction score
I really want to start reading some books also. Does anyone have any good sources for foreign language books? Particularly paper copies. Amazon doesn't seem to be much help here.

First of all congratulations on your successful learning of Portuguese. You can buy all kinds of foreign books on Amazon. You need to do some research though. Amazon has "bookstores" in various countries. Instead of calling Amazon.com, you have amazon.uk, amazon.fr (France), amazon.de (Germany), amazon.it (Italy)... Since you now speak Portuguese you can do your research in this language. On Amazon.fr, I can buy English, Spanish, Italian, German books... And probably in other languages.
For Portuguese books, I found this https://www.portuguesebookshop.co.uk/

I think I've said this before, but watching old tv shows and/or movies (that are dubbed in another language)

I totally agree here: watching movies or series in another language helps a lot.

As for me, whenever I learned a language, I found that what helped the most was conversation. So, when I learned Hindi (after going to India, I felt the necessity), I found an (Urdu) professor who taught me about movies, and songs, as well as grammar. When I returned to India, I had a cooking lesson, but that's another story. I did the same when I studied Japanese: I had travelled to Japan and bought children books. I found a young Japanese woman living in Paris for a year, and I asked her if we could work on translating one of the books into French. It was very interesting and I learned all sorts of stuff that I didn't learn in university. And this is what I did again last year when I resumed Italian. I studied this wonderful language in high-school, and understand a basic e-mail and call someone on the phone for work, but when I went to Italy for holidays, I was terribly frustrated not to be able to have the simplest conversation, or just be polite. So I asked an Italian friend if she would give me lessons. And we met every Saturday morning for a year and talked for two hours on every possible subject. A good way to learn the language, the civilization, customs and everything else!

Last edited:

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score

My go-tos are Star Wars films, old American Westerns (Gunsmoke and Bonanza are in a lot of languages) and Original Series Star Trek.

You did :)

One thing that can really help if you're learning a living language is to listen to/watch dubbed films or tv programs that you already are familiar with. Those with actors speaking the other language dubbed over the original language.

Listen to them more than once.

Kid's shows are also helpful for basic syntax and vocabulary; your brain will start noticing and learning patterns. We're built that way.

And fwiw, props for the go-tos, similar tastes here :)

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really like the idea of watching foreign TV/movies to learn a language. I feel that it would be immersive in actually hearing the words spoken, akin to being around people who speak the language, rather than reading out of a textbook.

Good insight! :D

Jennie

Registered
Reaction score
It is. What I sometimes do is watch a foreign series/movies with in its original language, and subtitles in that language - mostly to be sure I understand the slang.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Unfortunately small town NH doesn't have POC anything, but I do know Fall River has a significant Portuguese population so I wonder if they might have an import shop of some sort. That might make a nice day trip if I ever actually get to take my vacation...I'm just not sure if Amazon.br ships to the US, if they do that would make things a whole lot easier. But it seems I can log in with my regular Amazon account so I might give it a shot. I want a copy of my favorite novel, I basically know it by heart so it should help me a lot.

As far as speaking goes I've got that covered. I know several Brazilians, and two of them are actively helping me learn. I'm just having a hard time with speaking, which Duolingo doesn't cover very well. I did pick up Assimil to help out, was hoping I could use it in my car but it didn't work out that well.

I am listening to music, watching whatever I can find on Netflix, and reading r/brasil on reddit. I've also got a number of games I can play in Portuguese, and I'm actively looking for books. Immersion is super important and easier than ever these days, which is nice. I also started journaling to help with my recall. I admit I lean on Google Translate too much as a way to check my work, I'm trying to get away from that.

I'm studying a lot of Brazilian history and culture on top of that, too.