2018 Server Move Monday Night the 8th of January

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We Are Moving The AW Server

Monday Night the 8th of January AW Will Be Turned OFF at 10PM Seattle WA, US Time.

We plan to turn AW back ON on Sunday January 14th, before Noon Seattle Time.

Please Don't Keep Checking to See If We're Back

We love you guys too, but every time you refresh you're slowing things down. So don't. Thankyouverymuchfrommeandallthehamsters.

The amazing Scott Hawkins (shawkins) is doing the heavy lifting of the moving the database. You should all take the time to read his book The Library At Mount Char.

Be patient. Work on your WIP. Read Scott's book (it's really good!).

WE WILL ANNOUNCE THAT WE ARE BACK WHEN WE'RE BACK

The server IP address is changing. It will take a few hours, perhaps as much as a day, for the new IP address to percolate.

Contact Points

AW IRC Chat
AW's amazing chat mods and the regs frequently gather at the IRC Chat. There's general discussion about writing, and opportunities to cheer each on while you write.
See Zanzjan's instructions on how to join AW Chat (hosted elsewhere so bookmark them NOW so you can use them later).

Twitter:
Lisa | AW Admin
MacAllister | El Jefe
AW Peeps on Twitter

Facebook
FB Page
AW Facebook Group
This is just been created; I'm still figuring it out. I'm asking people to tell me their AW Username when they sign up, so I can avoid trolls.
Y'all can post there once you join.

Email List
I've set up a small one-way only announcement list as a Google Group.
Absolute Write Announcements.
Click Apply for membership to subscribe.
It's helpful if you include your AW Username.
If you want to receive the news via email, you need to set it to send all email. Only admins and mods can send or post.

Because People Have Asked

* I'm as sure as I can be that we won't lose anything, though it may take some tinkering to make things look familiar.
We have backups.
We're temporarily paying for two servers. Yes, it's an extra cost, but it's also safer.

If you want to help with defraying costs of the move, an easy way is to subscribe via PayPal. ([email protected]). It doesn't matter how much or how little you send; as a Kind Benefactor, you'll not only help your fellow community members, you'll have access to benefits like a larger PM box and avatar.

* I've been asked why we're moving, and why now?

Several reasons:

• Google has changed their requirements to have sites listed in search results so that only sites with https, that is sites with a certain kind of security protocol, will be listed, and sites without https will be flagged as insecure. We've been trying to schedule this for months, but it requires matching three very busy people's schedules, and some are East coast and some are West coast U.S. and all of us work.
  • The database that underlies AW is huge. It's just under 12 Gigabytes. That's the space for:
    • 278,977 Threads
    • 9,756,426 Posts
    • from 69,514 Members.
  • Our ISP isn't going to support the OS on our current server much longer; we need to upgrade to a later version. We're taking the opportunity to move to a faster virtual box, with more RAM, at the same time. I'm hoping (but can't guarantee) that we'll have even fewer outages that are not weather related.
  • We're going to try to rebuild the post indexes so old posts are easier to find; this is iffy, but we're going to try.

Backup Your Data

Save the following, just in case. I've never lost user data with an upgrade, but I prefer to be extra double cautious.

Login
Make sure you know your login; Username and Password.
Write them down or use a Password managing app.

Email Address
  1. Make sure that you are checking the email for the email address in your Profile.
  2. Click Settings
  3. Scroll down to My Account on the left
  4. Click Edit Email and Password to verify that you're using a current, active email address.
  5. See FAQ: Changing the Email Address Associated with your AW Account

Save your Sig
  1. Click Settings
  2. Scroll down to My Settings on the left
  3. Click Edit Signature
  4. Copy your sig somewhere safe; you could email it to yourself. Copy it exactly; including the BB codes

Save Your Avatar
  1. Click Settings
  3. Click Edit Avatar
  4. Right Click (Windows) or Control-Click (macOS) your Avatar and Save As ... to download your avatar to your local hard drive.

Save Your Profile Image
  1. Click Settings
  3. Click Edit Profile Picture
  4. Right-click the image (Control-click on macOS) and Save As... to download the picture to your local hard drive.

Download Your Private Messages
Click Notifications
On the left under My Messages click Inbox
Scroll down almost to the bottom.
On the far left is a heading that says Download All Private Messages As:
You have a choice of three formats: XML | CSV | Text
  • XML = readable in a Web browser
  • CSV = Comma delimited file; intended to import into a spreadsheet
  • Text = plain text

I generally just download all three. I'm like that.

Save Rep Comments
There really isn't an official way to save Rep comments. This is a kludge, and it only works for the most recent comments.

Method 1:
  1. Click Settings
  2. Right click or Control-click (macOS) in the Rep comments area and choose Save As... from the pop-up menu.
This will create a folder called Settings - Absolute Write Water Cooler_files and a separate file called Settings - Absolute Write Water Cooler. That file, opened in a Web browser will let you see your most recent Rep comments.

Method 2:
  1. Click Settings
  2. From the File menu of your Web browser, choose Save Page As...
This will create a folder called Settings - Absolute Write Water Cooler_files and a separate file called Settings - Absolute Write Water Cooler. That file, opened in a Web browser will let you see your most recent Rep comments.

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
* tip of the hat for the early warning and for keeping this place running *

* reminder to everyone who loves this place and can afford it that there's a subscription box at the bottom of this page *

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Speak up, onesecondglance. I bet some people couldn't hear you. Did you say,

*reminder to everyone who loves this place and can afford it
that there's a subscription box at the bottom of this page*

Yeah, that's what I thought I heard.

Maryn, who just wanted to be sure

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I know things get lost in the move (They do this EVERY year and just must forget to tell me -- Sid, Ice age), but just a note on the rep comments: do you grant us them back if they get lost? 'Cause I have, like, at least five -- a million. And if you're topping us back up, just thought I'd mention the one million mark, like. :e2brows:

Fallen: calling shotgun by the in-flight drink's tray and not really worried about rep comments...

Safe move, Admin. :) Here's to no headaches....

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I know things get lost in the move (They do this EVERY year and just must forget to tell me -- Sid, Ice age), but just a note on the rep comments: do you grant us them back if they get lost? 'Cause I have, like, at least five -- a million. And if you're topping us back up, just thought I'd mention the one million mark, like. :e2brows:

Fallen: calling shotgun by the in-flight drink's tray and not really worried about rep comments...

Safe move, Admin. :) Here's to no headaches....

Nice try Fallen. I'mma gonna rep you for effort.

So far, I haven't lost anything, knock on wood.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Lisa's excellent to follow on Twitter when AW is down and you want to check the status. Instead of constantly refreshing AW while it's being worked on.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What if it never comes back again? What if it goes to the wrong cloud? What if the internet breaks?

*fretting*

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
What if it never comes back again? What if it goes to the wrong cloud? What if the internet breaks?

*fretting*

We have multiple redundant backups.

AND

We're paying for two servers for a while, Just In Case.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fingers cxd all goes well :) I will donate again when I hit my AW anniversary which I think is in February :)

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Hope the move goes smoothly!

Off to save some stuff! (^_^)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I backed up my PMs and suddenly felt it was okay to delete a bunch of them, and I have so much roooooooooom.

Not worried about my rep points, since right now most are from the Countdown, and I saved them elsewhere

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I backed up my PMs and suddenly felt it was okay to delete a bunch of them, and I have so much roooooooooom.

Not worried about my rep points, since right now most are from the Countdown, and I saved them elsewhere

Oh, crap! I want to save those reps! Thanks for the timely reminder.

Also, what about for those who don't go on facebook or twitter? (I won't, you can't make me!) Guess I'll have to bribe someone to email me when AW is back up. :)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, crap! I want to save those reps! Thanks for the timely reminder.

Also, what about for those who don't go on facebook or twitter? (I won't, you can't make me!) Guess I'll have to bribe someone to email me when AW is back up. :)

If enough people are interested in an email list, I'll create one. Let me know in a Rep point if you're interested, and I'll use the Email addresses from people's AW accounts. This will be a announce only list; MacAllister and I will be the only ones sending notices, and it's not going to be much more than a We're Back notice.

ETA:

Email List
I've set up a small one-way only announcement list as a Google Group.
Absolute Write Announcements. Click Apply for membership to subscribe. It's helpful if you include your AW Username.

Last edited:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
The chat may be for you

I had a look at how to get to chat, and it looks too complex for my technologically challenged brain. So I repped Admin that I'd really like to be on any email list to notify.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Repped for an add to the list. I never remember how to get to chat and am not in the right spot to save the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.