World Cup 2018...it's gonna look a little different

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
The wheels finally came off the England wagon. The more the game went on, the more England's inability to score in open play hit home.

I did not think Croatia were particularly good, and I shall be astonished if they beat France, who, along with Belgium, look like the class outfit of the championship. The Belgium/France game would have been worthy of being the final.

With French pace in attack, I expect France to win by a comfortable margin.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
We needed that second goal, had Kane scored instead of hitting the keeper then the post, I think we would have come through. We would then IMHO have been soundly beaten by France.
But this is a young team, still improving and most of them will be there for the Euros

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
What worries me about England is the weight of expectation. There was none on Southgate's squad, which I think allowed them to progress almost under the radar at the beginning. That won't be the case in Qatar. An over-excitable press could defeat England's campaign before the first kick of the ball.

LoaderBot

Registered
Reaction score
Agree, the expectations will surely be higher next time around for England. Which never helps the effort.

Over ten normal games I would expect France to win at-least seven of them, but the world cup final is not a normal game. An early Croatian goal and anything can happen.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
What worries me about England is the weight of expectation. There was none on Southgate's squad, which I think allowed them to progress almost under the radar at the beginning. That won't be the case in Qatar. An over-excitable press could defeat England's campaign before the first kick of the ball.
I completely agree with this. Now that we got to a semi-final that will be come the minimum expected result

alkin

Registered
Reaction score
The big match is coming. Extra time again?

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
We needed that second goal, had Kane scored instead of hitting the keeper then the post, I think we would have come through. We would then IMHO have been soundly beaten by France.
But this is a young team, still improving and most of them will be there for the Euros

I agree. England need more stamina but they have a ton of potential. It's good to see they're finally focusing on developing up-and-coming players. They need to keep doing that (in the leagues as well as in the national squad) as well as developing the players they already have. A mixture of experience and youthful raw talent would be great for future tournaments.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Iffy penalty, but France were deserved winners.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Iffy penalty, but France were deserved winners.
Thought the free kick that led to a goal was iffy, too. Poor Croatia, but Mbappe and Pogba's quality told.

The scary thing is that England commentators and fans are banging on about them being a young side. Well, France are also a young side, but they've hit the pinnacle and they may stake out that territory for years to come. Interesting times.

Hope the next Euro champs and world cup offers equally decent footie.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Mbappe is 19; he could be sensational, or he could fade out like Rooney.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
Probably the best World Cup I've seen (watched 'em all since 1970 & attended the 1982 and 1986 events) and the best team won, although it felt like France never reached their potential. They just switched gears when they had to and they will be a force for a few more years.

alkin

Registered
Reaction score
Mbappe is 19; he could be sensational, or he could fade out like Rooney.

He strikes me more like a Michael Owen. Skillful speedster, young star in the world cup, etc.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Hope for his sake he does not get injured like Owen did. He was never as good after.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Me too, but its only 3 weeks until the PL starts again. Got my ticket for the first home game.

alkin

Registered
Reaction score
MBappe looks like having a stronger built.