National Coming Out Day in 2017

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've always had mixed feelings about National Coming Out Day.

Life in the closet is often painful and dark, but for many people, especially teens, it's not safe to come out.

AW is firmly opposed to outing people, but I can remember in the 1980s waking up early one morning and discovering that the LGBT campus student group, somewhat cluelessly, had placed stars on the office and dorm room doors of LGBT students.

Some of whom weren't out.

I went up and down all three floors of the dorm removing the stars.

Don't be clueless. Don't feel you have to "come out" to everyone you meet either; do what's best for you.

That said, there's a lot to be said about being out, and being able to be out, that really does make life better. There's a lot to be said to being quietly and happily queer. You don't have to have a six-foot rainbow flag over your house, but it's really meaningful and fulfilling to be able to talk about your spouse or same-sex partner easily and casually.

Our current administration in the U.S. is not an ally; it's still important to be here, be queer and be an ally.

Be yourself. Take joy. Be present.

CwwmX8uUUAI2Iar.jpg

Last edited:

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Coming out is a complicated thing in general, because it's not a strict either/or. It's a lifelong process.

I consider myself pretty out. I'm fortunate enough to work at a place that's progressive with respect to LGBTQ people and I'm at a stage in my life where I don't worry as much about judgement from new friends/acquaintances.

But there are still blindspots. None of my extended family know about my sexual orientation or gender identity. Mostly because I don't talk to them much but honestly, concern about how my mom might have to field questions from them has made me less inclined to share. It's given me pause about transitioning.

I also let people misgender me without correcting them, which is a form of closeting myself, maybe. I know I'm "guilty" of feeling like I'm being out because I do stuff like wear pride jewelry when it's impossible to know how visible that really makes me.

And yet, I resent the idea that either my sexuality or my gender have to be topics of Big Conversations in order for me to really be "out." It's not that I don't want to live openly or like I don't see these things as being important parts of myself. But I want the freedom to let it come up naturally. I feel like things have gotten a lot better with regards to sexuality, but it's still hard to find info on being out as trans at work that don't involve tips like talking to HR and planning an announcement. If I were going in hormones right now, maybe that would make sense. But I don't want to "announce" who I am. I want to be. I want my everyday outness to be enough.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I feel lucky that coming out as Bisexual to my family was easy. They didn't care really. The same goes for my friends. Though, it helps that the ones in my hometown were a mix of LGBT+ people (and some straight people). Down here, it was rather easy too.

The only people who don't know are my BF's parents because they are super religious and conservative. It's hard not to be myself around them...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I try to be as out and as visible as I can be for the sake of those who can't be.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I celebrated yesterday by attending the first event sponsored by the new QUILTBAG and ally employee group at The Day Job. We were lucky to have the executive vice president of our San Francisco branch stop by for a "fireside chat", which was well attended (saw several of our local EVPs). Several of our other branches, already with similar groups in place, were upset because they wanted to invite her, as well, but we got there first. Next week, for Spirit Day: a panel of employees discuss their coming out journey (*raises hand*).

*waiting for the first backlash to appear on the Q&A page of the bank's intranet site* :chair