5 Bad Movies You Love

LLTisdel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
illumismart.blogspot.com
Does anyone else LOVE bad movies? I don't mean your run-of-the-mill bad movies. I'm talking so-bad-it's-good movies.

Anyhow, here are my favorites:

1. The Room. This movie is so strange and bad that it's one of my favorites. I watch it when I'm having a bad day.
2. Ice Pirates- Ridiculous 80's space adventure. Love it.
3. Manos: The Hands of Fate. This bizarre horror is delightful in every bad way.
4. Birdemic. Birds attack the world and explode on contact in early 90's styled CGI. I kid you not.
5. Troll 2. "Oh my gggggggggggggggggooooooooaaaawwwwwwddddddddddddddddddddddddddd!"

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, this is a fun question. I suppose it's open to discussion whether any movie someone names is really bad, but my list would include plenty that definitely can't be called good.

The Butterfly Effect
A Knight's Tale
The Devil's Advocate
Cliffhanger
Blast from the Past

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
This is a fun question.

Too Late Blues, Cassavettes' directorial debut with dialogue so clunky I believe it created its own genre.

Ocean's 11, the original, 1960ish. "You know what's wrong with you, Danny? You love danger." Cesar Romero almost ruined it because he was just too good.

The Chase, with Brando, Redford, Duvall, Jane Fonda, such melodrama but a cast that offers plenty of diversion.

Barbarella, so bad it's a comedy. Props only to the Costume Designer.

Wild In The Streets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRLwV2xafpk 'nuff said, no?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
The Room (Pedestrian answer but I've seen it enough times to quote the whole thing)

Hellraiser: Revelations (A delightful madcap romp involving space stations and 90's hotel lobbies in 18th Century France)

Wishmaster 2 (A gritty, uncompromising look at America's corrupt prison system that also involves genies)

Devil's Advocate (Shout-out to Maryn on this one, just rewatched it and it was somehow worse and more satisfying than I even remembered)

Lord of Illusion (Another Clive Barker pick, because that guy is like magic to me, especially on productions where he gets overly ambitious and ragequits halfway through. But I'm secretly convinced this movie is actually good)

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Brain from Planet Arous (John Agar vs. criminal giant translucent brain)
The Revenge of Doctor X (scientist creates puppy-eating sentient plant)
The Return of Doctor X (Bogie as a Vaseline’d up zombie!)
The Brainiac (300yo warlock sips victims brains through a straw)
The Naked Witch (almost defies description)

I could populate at least 15 posts of this thread on my own. Bad horror is my favorite movie genre.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Lol, I'd never heard of "The Room," and thought you guys were talking about the 2015 film "Room," based on the book of the same name, which was confusing because IMO, "Room" was a solid flick, and much truer to the book than most film adaptations.

Now I'm gonna have to watch "The Room."

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
The Brain from Planet Arous (John Agar vs. criminal giant translucent brain)
The Revenge of Doctor X (scientist creates puppy-eating sentient plant)
The Return of Doctor X (Bogie as a Vaseline’d up zombie!)
The Brainiac (300yo warlock sips victims brains through a straw)
The Naked Witch (almost defies description)

I could populate at least 15 posts of this thread on my own. Bad horror is my favorite movie genre.

Yep, me too. So I'll choose some more modern turkeys that I still find something to love in...

Van Helsing
Battleship
Season of the Witch
Drive Angry
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My picks:

Batman and Robin, the one with George Clooney and Alicia Silverstone
Barbarella
Project Moonbase
Bride of the Monster
The Fifth Element

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, me too. So I'll choose some more modern turkeys that I still find something to love in...

Van Helsing
Battleship
Season of the Witch
Drive Angry
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

+1 for Van Helsing (if you are talking about the Jackman/Beckinsale version)

and I still stand by my thoughts that Battleship should have been more about a person vs person in a made up Battleship League tournament....highlighting the ACTUAL game we all love!

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
It's hard to pick just five.

Hudson Hawk - "Stop helping me!"
Demolition Man - "Take this job and shovel it!" "Close Enough"
Wild Wild West - "That. Is a man's. Head."; "Shoot first, shoot second, shoot some more and after everybody's dead try and ask a question or two."
Last Action Hero - "You know tar actually sticks to some people."
A Knight's Tale (Changed, because I had forgotten about this one) My husband hates it for the anachronistic soundtrack, and I love it for the exact same reason. Also Alan Tudyk.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I enjoyed Buckaroo Banzai in the eighth Dimension ("John Smallberries," snerk), and I'll admit to enjoying some elements of the Dune movie. Hmmm, that's two.

Another would be Dark Star, which was low budget and corny, but good fun.

The Flash Gordon movie with the Queen soundtrack is fun for its utter campiness and ridiculousness (Flash, Flaaaaash). When I first saw that movie, I had a cat who used to hide in his cat condo, and you could reach into the top and toss the dice over whether or not he'd grab your hand and bite it. We used to call it "testing the wood beast" because of that scene in that stupid movie.

Oh, and They Live, which has the http://www.vulture.com/2015/08/roddy-pipers-anti-epic-fight-scene-in-they-live.html I've ever seen in a movie. It was one of those scenes where the two male characters are fighting and they end up respecting each other and being friends after, but it went on and on and on. This movie actually acknowledged global warming and climate change long before they were concepts that had entered popular culture.

Hmm, I'm seeing a distinct Science Fiction theme here. Also, I just realized that two on this list are directed by John Carpenter.

Last edited:

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
The Inspector General - old, old, old with Danny Kaye
Napolean Dynamite

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I enjoyed Buckaroo Banzai in the eighth Dimension ("John Smallberries," snerk), and I'll admit to enjoying some elements of the Dune movie. Hmmm, that's two.

Another would be Dark Star, which was low budget and corny, but good fun.

The Flash Gordon movie with the Queen soundtrack is fun for its utter campiness and ridiculousness (Flash, Flaaaaash). When I first saw that movie, I had a cat who used to hide in his cat condo, and you could reach into the top and toss the dice over whether or not he'd grab your hand and bite it. We used to call it "testing the wood beast" because of that scene in that stupid movie.

Oh, and They Live, which has the http://www.vulture.com/2015/08/roddy-pipers-anti-epic-fight-scene-in-they-live.html I've ever seen in a movie. It was one of those scenes where the two male characters are fighting and they end up respecting each other and being friends after, but it went on and on and on. This movie actually acknowledged global warming and climate change long before they were concepts that had entered popular culture.

Hmm, I'm seeing a distinct Science Fiction theme here. Also, I just realized that two on this list are directed by John Carpenter.
Across the 8th Dimension.

/geektest

But yeah, I like that too. And Dark Star.

But I have to take issue with Flash Gordon, along with The Fifth Element (mentioned upthread). Those aren't bad movies at all, in my book. They may not be great movies, but they both were received fairly well, from what I remember (not from all critics, but from more than enough, I think). YMMV, of course.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Across the 8th Dimension.

/geektest

But yeah, I like that too. And Dark Star.

But I have to take issue with Flash Gordon, along with The Fifth Element (mentioned upthread). Those aren't bad movies at all, in my book. They may not be great movies, but they both were received fairly well, from what I remember (not from all critics, but from more than enough, I think). YMMV, of course.

One evening, I noticed "Flash Gordon" was available on Hulu and I called my son up and made him watch.

I regret nothing.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Hey, I watch Flash Gordon all the time. So do my older two kids. I LOVE Flash Gordon. I just don't think it's a bad movie, insofar as me liking it isn't particularly unusual. :)

But if I tell someone that I love Hudson Hawk, they usually look at me like I'm nuts.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Mortal Kombat. We watched this as a family when the boys were young. Earlier this year when it came on Netflix, my sons came home (Easter, maybe?) and my older son grabbed the clicker and announced that we were all going to watch. We did, and it is still so much trashy fun.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
And on the subject of Paul WS Anderson, Event Horizon is also a masterpiece of schlock.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Lol, I'd never heard of "The Room," and thought you guys were talking about the 2015 film "Room," based on the book of the same name, which was confusing because IMO, "Room" was a solid flick, and much truer to the book than most film adaptations.

Now I'm gonna have to watch "The Room."

Do yourself a favor and get the Rifftrax commentary to go with it...

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I mentioned Hellraiser: Revelations as my top five, narrowly beat out EH. Those two as a double feature is an extremely productive use of a night.