Go-To Website Resources for Anthology Calls?

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
:hi: Forgive me if I'm asking this in the wrong spot, but I'm hoping this is the place. I'd like to try my hand at some more anthology calls, but darn it all if I can find a good place to discover said anthology calls (or at least before they are nearly closed).

I lurk on submission grinder, but I often find anthology calls on there that are listed which have already closed by the time they hit the list. I also jump between a couple of blogs / sites that tend to update with some calls that they collect together (like the Horror Tree, for example). And I follow a few presses that do a periodic anthology call. And I know there are occasional calls noted in the Paying Markets Forum on AW (but, sadly, not very often).

:Shrug: My point is, I still feel like I'm missing a lot. Or not looking in the right places. Or maybe there's a magical place that has all the anthologies that this new(ish)bie short fiction writer doesn't know about? *said with hopeful face*

Just wondering if you all have any go-tos for anthology calls you'd be willing to share. It would be nice to have a handy reference list, even if that means more hopping from site to site. (And I don't currently have a subscription to Duotrope, so if that is more robust than Submission Grinder for this purpose, I'd love to know.)

[*cough* And if there's already a list somewhere here on AW that I've missed in my Google-fu, please let me know that, too, and I will skulk away quietly in the right direction, after first licking my wounds in some dark corner of the forum]

Here's my measly list:
Submission Grinder (I then filter in search by keyword anthology or anthologies)
Angela Benedetti's Anthology Market List
Horror Tree
Writing Career
Cathy's Comps & Calls (this has mixture of anthologies, contests, etc.)

Fellow AW'er additions:
Ralan.com (thanks, sideshowdarb!)

I pretty much use the first three on a regular basis. Have had so-so luck with the other two. I know there are a couple more I look at but it appears Winks misplaced some bookmarks. Heh. Go figure.

Now, if I were smart, I'd make a Twitter list of all those presses with anthology calls that I follow...(if some other industrious writer has done that, well then! *cue hopeful look #2*)

*I did warn you it was measly, right?
**note I'm not putting individual presses on my list since I, uh, kinda just remember to go to those when I happen to see something or when I use Google-fu...Bad Winks, I know. I'll come back and try to add to that bit later. But the above reflects collections of anthology calls, rather than just one press (ideally, I'd love not to have to bookmark a bajillion presses).

~Winks, who swears she's not trying to be lazy. Time efficient. Let's go with that.

Last edited:

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Winks,

Not sure if it's comprehensive but ralan.com is a site I've been using for years.

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
No problem. It's pretty good, very regularly updated. I actually published my first story in an anthology I found through there.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're on Facebook, do a search on Open Submission(s).

danthony

Registered
Reaction score
Duotrope used to be my favorite, but I stopped using them once they started charging. They were pretty similar to Submission Grinder but were a lot more comprehensive and kept more accurate stats, from what I remember. I believe they still have a free trial if you wanted to give them a shot. Now I use most of the ones you've already listed but also add markets I really like to my IE Favorites list and check them every now and then to see what new calls they have.