Assassin's Creed Origins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
After a brief respite, Ubisoft's saga returns trying for a fresh start. This time we're going to ancient Egypt. The game appears to have taken a few inspirations from several other games, like Skyrim and Mass Effect Andromeda, and the gameplay looks a lot less cluttered, which allows one to enjoy the beautiful scenery. Combat appears to have been renovated as well, with a hitbox system rather than the attack-counter-block from before. What are your thoughts?

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder why they used to vehemently deny that they'd ever go to ancient Egypt (with the series), but a few years later, they did.

From what I've seen, it looks decent and I like that they've added some RPG-like mechanics to it. But, I'm gonna wait a while before I decide to get it. It still looks like the "same old, same old" from the franchise, so I just can't really get excited about it. I used to love AC but now I'm kinda burned out on it.

I might pick it up after the price falls next year. I'm more looking forward to the Horizon: Zero Dawn "Frozen Wilds" DLC that's coming out in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
After the well-received AC2, they kept throwing more and more things into the games until the minimap was covered in symbols as well as the screen. This time they seem to have done the opposite and allow the player to explore and discover. The combat-free mode seems pretty neat, too.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I'd really like to see them make an entire game in the present day or not-so-distant future. Some of the scenes with Desmond Miles in past games were pretty cool. Rather than continuing to milk the past (sort of like Star Trek keeps trying to do), they should focus on present day or future. I think an AC game set in modern-day NYC, Toronto, Hong Kong, or Washington, DC would be pretty freaking cool.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I am a sucker for ancient Egypt...but I am also a sucker for tall ships and the golden age of piracy, and yet Black Flag left me utterly cold.

I'm just utterly baffling!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a lot of trepidation when this game was announced, and the fact it was by the same team that gave us Black Flag. I hated Black Flag with a royal purple passion. It's the only game in the franchise that I've never replayed. (This coming from someone who's replayed the first 4 at least a dozen times each, mind you.) BF was everything I hated about AC games from the main story tasks to the absolute lack of cohesive story to being absolutely bored with the sailing and fighting. I was quite worried about Origins.

Fortunately, it's not what I thought it was. The sailing missions are a DLC, so completely skippable, thankfully. They got rid of the stupid tailing/eavesdropping missions entirely. They gave us a cohesive, even interesting story with two heroes that I actually give a shite about. While I liked the Frye twins well enough, I haven't LIKED a character since Connor (and mostly because I think I felt sorry for him because no hero deserved the horrible non-story and guarantee-to-fail they gave him). Bayek actually ranks up there with Altair and Ezio for good character. He may surpass Ezio for best voice actor, which is hard for me since I adore Roger Craig Smith's work.

The stealth is better than it's been before, and the NPC's AIs aren't moronic. If they should be able to see you, they can, and if they shouldn't, they can't. (Anyone else remember Connor just walking blithely by people who couldn't see him yet get eyeballed when you couldn't even see them? Arg!)

The first story DLC dropped...last week? It's brought more challenges to the stealth system (I play stealth 'cause I suck at fighting, honestly), which has been nice. Nothing I couldn't overcome with a bit of patience, timing and a regen or two.

The graphics are absolutely frigging astonishing. With the photo mode, you can take pictures (and not have the chars in if you prefer) then go to the Ubisoft website (if you're on console) and download pics for your own use. Very cool.

All-in-all, I like what they did with it. Hope the next team doesn't screw it all up again somehow.

Anyone else have thoughts on the game?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm loving it- mainly because I can go at my own speed and either take a mission or choose to rob a random Fort or hideout. I'm presently on Level 39 and the stealth choices and weapons are great. Night is my favourite time for attacking these Forts.

The main story thread is interesting and it's nice to be able to wander in and out of it as I choose.

Love the unicorn. Scenery is terrific. I think I'm enjoying this a tad more even than Witcher 3.

ETA -re DL's undernoted question, not seen the unicamel yet.:snoopy:

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you seen the "unicamel"? I love the comment on it "When a Mommy Unicorn and a Daddy Camel love each other a lot". I'm looking forward to the Discovery Mode coming out later this month.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm about 30 hours into this and I like it. I was really unsure at first - the default control scheme really threw me, whereas the alternate is much closer to "normal" AC - but now I'm used to the systems it's a smooth experience and does feel like an AC game. I'm level 26 without doing that much of the main quest. I like that there's lots to do, although it's almost too much given my completionist nature. I just want to have cleared an area, goddammit ;)

One thing that strikes me having recently 100% Rise Of The Tomb Raider is how similar the games are. Open world areas, bow and stealth attacks, hunting and crafting, and lots of climbing. Some of the "I'm going through a crack to enter a cave" bits look identical! It's just cosmetic, obviously, but it does feel like either new Tomb Raider is stealing a lot from AC, or new AC is stealing a lot from TR... I think this is perhaps why they refuse to make a fully-modern world AC game. Throw in guns and it would feel like every other game out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.