Ancient Rome Historical Fiction YA?

Ms.Pencila

Registered
Reaction score
I've posted about this over in YA too, (as I think that's the age audience I'm looking at-- the MC is necessarily a teenager, being a hostage adopted into a Roman family). But I wanted to ask if this sounds like a viable idea for historical fiction, (and should I consider it with an audience other than YA?)

My idea is a story taking place in ancient Gaul, during Julius Caesar's campaigns there. It centers on a boy who's offered as a hostage to the conquering Romans instead of the chief's son, and is consequently taken into the home of a noble Roman family. I'm going for historical without anything mythical, or super romantic. (Whenever I look for ancient Roman YA, it looks like I get a lot more on that side).

I haven't outlined the whole thing yet, but have started some research (translating Caesar's conquest was a kind of starting point), and am getting a good idea of the conflict (choice between new family and protecting old, not getting killed, finding his place, etc.), potential love interest(s), and some of the side characters. So before I go any further: is this something anybody would be interested in reading, or am I better off trying to stick with my other wips? (Which all, admittedly, are more complicated, but at least I'm already working on them).

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's hard to say based on such a high level outline, whether it would make a good novel or not. The setting is interesting (to me, at least - not sure what's 'hot' right now in YA, but Roman adventure novels sell like hot cakes in the HF market) and like you said, there's plenty of potential conflict. The question is whether you can flesh that out into a compelling story. Keep researching and see if anything clicks. If not, don't force it. Sounds like you've got plenty of other ideas to pursue.

The JoJo

Licensed to chill
Registered
Reaction score
I think there will always be a market for settings in other times and places, whether historical or entirely fictional. Whether there's a huge demand is another question, I know I liked books set in the past as a teenager, but then I've grown into an adult who has a greater interest in history than the average person, so I'm not perhaps the most representative person you could ask.

Jack Judah

Lost somewhere on the Nile
Registered
Reaction score
My idea is a story taking place in ancient Gaul, during Julius Caesar's campaigns there. It centers on a boy who's offered as a hostage to the conquering Romans instead of the chief's son, and is consequently taken into the home of a noble Roman family.

For just the barest of bare bones of a premise, it holds promise. There are certainly a great many opportunities to find some juicy conflict(s). There are also some potential pitfalls -- as a premise, it has been done before. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Almost all the good premises have. What will make yours soar or fall depends entirely on who your characters are and how well you craft their journey. I firmly believe there's always room for another good sword and sandal yarn.

I haven't outlined the whole thing yet, but have started some research (translating Caesar's conquest was a kind of starting point), and am getting a good idea of the conflict (choice between new family and protecting old, not getting killed, finding his place, etc.), potential love interest(s), and some of the side characters.

If you're interested enough in this subject to actually translate the Bellum Gallicum yourself, I'd say you're probably passionate enough about the topic/premise to do it justice. The latter days of the Roman Republic are something of a specialty of mine, so if in your research travails you ever need help, pm me and I'll be glad to point you in the right direction. You've certainly picked a time period and setting in which a LOT was going on. Plenty of grist for your creative mill!

Last edited: