Towns names

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Man walks into the Gilead convenience store, complaining about chapped lips. "Oh, sir! I am so sorry but there is no balm in Gilead." (Rickety-boom-boom)

Not a million miles from Sir Edwin Lutyens, during the war, condemning his fish dinner at Brooks's as the piece of cod which passeth all understanding.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

That's a good one. "No balm in Gilead."

I'm here to tell you there is a real town in Oregon named Boring. Likewise a town named Drain.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Reactions: Elenitsa

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting question for Western names. Westerns are not quite uniquely American - I can think of a few Australian and Brazilian tales that qualify, but does that restrict you to English or Spanish place names? French, maybe?

RBEmerson

Believes own press releases
Registered
Reaction score
Not a million miles from Sir Edwin Lutyens, during the war, condemning his fish dinner at Brooks's as the piece of cod which passeth all understanding.
Sorry - that's like the joke about the roof... over my head. I'm sure that's a quote with pun I'm missing.

For retribution, work on "One man's Mede is another man's Persian".

For those with experience with the BBC in the days of old, don't make me drag out my "My Word" collection... it's too painful. LOL

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Interesting question for Western names. Westerns are not quite uniquely American - I can think of a few Australian and Brazilian tales that qualify, but does that restrict you to English or Spanish place names? French, maybe?
Whoever conquered the region gets to stamp everything with their own language, I'd expect Brazilian town names would have a Portuguese influence, Australia a British influence, no?

Save us, Oh Lord, from Biblical quotes. :)

-Derek

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Whoever conquered the region gets to stamp everything with their own language, I'd expect Brazilian town names would have a Portuguese influence, Australia a British influence, no?

Australia has place names with influences from French, some Portuguese, quite a lot of Dutch, but most importantly the Indigenous languages.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
He started it, Dad. ;)
Dammit, you callin' me an old fart? mumbles and shakes stick

Australia has place names with influences from French, some Portuguese, quite a lot of Dutch, but most importantly the Indigenous languages.
Yes but, Exposition Bob would have to tell the MC this in a local twang, and back in pre-1900 "Western" era they'd probably be pointing at Ayer's Rock not Uluru.

-Derek

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Dammit, you callin' me an old fart? mumbles and shakes stick

Yes but, Exposition Bob would have to tell the MC this in a local twang, and back in pre-1900 "Western" era they'd probably be pointing at Ayer's Rock not Uluru.

-Derek

Ayer's Rock was only named as such in the 1870s. And it's always been Uluru.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Well - only if he was talking to tourists.

Last edited:

RBEmerson

Registered
Reaction score
My apology to anyone who might take exception to my chapped lips punch line. I was not aware it is from Jeremiah 8:22. No offense meant.

My only defense is it's sometimes walking through a mine field to avoid Biblical references or quotes.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use FantasyNameGenerator it has a list of Western towns on it. I hope that helps.
Timbrian, just flagging that the OP asked that question in 2017. After five years, it's unlikely that they'll come back to this.

It's a good idea to check out the dates on threads you're replying to, so that you don't "necro" them, as we call it -- raising a dead thread to little purpose.

Reactions: Maryn

RBEmerson

Registered
Reaction score
Something to consider regarding place names: there are thirty Portlands (includes North, South, etc. modifiers) in the US. The opportunity for creative confusion abounds. A WIP uses the ones in Maine and Oregon, and concludes with one of two in Colorado.

(Posted to see if anyone else is still watching the thread.)