Banned Books Week starts here, starts now. [We have a Winner!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Banned Books Week is an annual celebration of our intellectual freedom to read what we like and want to read. The 2017 Banned Books Week starts today, September 24th, and runs through Saturday, September 30th. Information, resources, and elseweb celebration activities can be found at American Library Association: Banned Books Week 2017.

We're kicking off the celebration here in Roundtable with the following challenge, which was borrowed and adapted from the ALA:

Take a selfie holding a banned/challenged book or have someone take a photo of you holding up a banned/challenged book and post it in this thread.

A prize drawing will be held at the end of Banned Books Week. Only those post numbers containing a photo of you with a banned or challenged book will be entered into the drawing. Who knows, you could be the winner. (Winner will have to send me their mailing address to receive their special something-something*.)

*No, I won’t tell you what the "something-something" is; it’s a surprise. You know this much: Iffen I'm gonna need your mailing address, it's something you can hold in your hands.

Last edited:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm super proud to say, of the top 20 20th Century ban-targeted books on the Radcliffe list posted at AbsoluteWrite[dot]com, I've read 17. I'm even MORE proud to say that all but 2 of those 17 were part of a school curriculum when I read them. The other two I read voluntarily, and 2 of the three I *haven't* read, I will now. (Sorry ULYSSES, you're out. I tried you but it's hard to read through glazed-over eyes.)

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Jade_A.jpg

Here I am with Fun Home from the 2015 list and Persepolis from the 2014 list. I highly recommend both. They're tough but amazing reads (and some of the main proof I use when people claim comics are for kids).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
:) Okey-doke, we have our first entrant . . . and I've no doubt that's you, Jade A.

Little favor, though, for those members on dial-up or who pay for bandwidth: could you reduce the image to a size closer to our standard of 400 x 400, 72 dpi, so they can open the page?

My fault entirely for not specifying we should keep the images to our standard so all the members can see them. Many thanks, Jade.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
:) Okey-doke, we have our first entrant . . . and I've no doubt that's you, Jade A.

Little favor, though, for those members on dial-up or who pay for bandwidth: could you reduce the image to a size closer to our standard of 400 x 400, 72 dpi, so they can open the page?

My fault entirely for not specifying we should keep the images to our standard so all the members can see them. Many thanks, Jade.

I reduced and reposted.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm super proud to say, of the top 20 20th Century ban-targeted books on the Radcliffe list posted at AbsoluteWrite[dot]com, I've read 17. I'm even MORE proud to say that all but 2 of those 17 were part of a school curriculum when I read them. The other two I read voluntarily, and 2 of the three I *haven't* read, I will now. (Sorry ULYSSES, you're out. I tried you but it's hard to read through glazed-over eyes.)

I've read 10 of the top 20, 6 of which I read as school assignments. Lord of the Flies, Brave New World, 1984 and Catch 22 weren't school assignments.

I found it interesting that Captain Underpants was on the complaint list in five different years. It was very popular in my son's grade school. They were among the hundreds of chapter books I bought for him.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
ah sorry for not catching that. I wasn't on the site til now. thanks for fixing the problem!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Eh, what the hey - will try, but Google Photo doesn't want to work right for some reason... Will see if a link works better.

Selfie from the zoo today

4i6p9ppMw5vA3EfL2

37301452876_1100b1c62b.jpg

Yeah, not getting a link that works right - original is only 300px square.

Eh, well. Too late to wrestle with the conundrum that is Google Photo tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cool photo, BD! :)

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Brightdreamer (and all), Google Photos ain't gonna get it if you want to share your photos on the forum. Get a free Flickr account, set your privacy options to unrestricted, and when you share here, select the bbcode option for sharing. BD, I can put your photo in your post, if you like, since I used it to play with. Let me know.

ETA: BD, I just went ahead and inserted your photo for you. Iffen you'd rather I hadn't, you can thump me later.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Brightdreamer (and all), Google Photos ain't gonna get it if you want to share your photos on the forum. Get a free Flickr account, set your privacy options to unrestricted, and when you share here, select the bbcode option for sharing. BD, I can put your photo in your post, if you like, since I used it to play with. Let me know.

ETA: BD, I just went ahead and inserted your photo for you. Iffen you'd rather I hadn't, you can thump me later.

That's fine. Thought it was listed in the approved sources list, and I could've sworn I got it to work before... like I mentioned, it was late when I tried it.

Will have to poke at Flickr or something, then.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I follow Banned Books Week every year. I'm grateful I live in a time and place where I can read books without worrying about getting hauled to jail or killed. There's a bit of a defiant look to my face. This year I picked The Color Purple on my Kindle.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Sometime between the time I awake tomorrow morning—if I do; at my age one never knows—and noon U.S. Central time, this thread will close.

Don't miss out. Post a photo of you reading a banned/challenged book to get in on the drawing.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
We have a WINNER!

First, about the drawing process:

• Slips of paper with the post numbers of the posts containing photos were put into a bowl.
  • Neighbor boy, who was out shooting baskets, drew a slip.
  • I rushed in to check the post number on the slip.

Congratulations, Snowstorm!
It looks like the number 13 is your lucky number. Please send me a PM with the name and mailing address of where you want your prize sent.

Your something-something is a Banned Books Coffee Mug (see photo below) and a large tote/reusable shopping bag with the quote, "Reading is to the Mind what Exercise is to the Body." by Joseph Addison.

37400726892_82162cec36_m.jpg

Jade A and Brightdreamer, thank you for your wonderful photos. You are both awesome and I thank you very much.

Snowstorm

Registered
Reaction score
We have a WINNER! ...

Your something-something is a Banned Books Coffee Mug (see photo below) and a large tote/reusable shopping bag with the quote, "Reading is to the Mind what Exercise is to the Body." by Joseph Addison.

Well, thank you so much, Ari and AW! I'll cherish the mug and the bag!

The Banned Books Week is a celebration of the freedom for us to learn and to know. Like voting, it's a right I take seriously.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! :D

I couldn't find my son's Captain Underpants or my copy of The Satanic Verses in time to post a photo. I have a copy of Catcher in the Rye around here somewhere also.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
It is, isn't it? It's really hard to part with, but I always, always buy gifts and prizes I'd like to have.

Which reminds me, I bought several "readerly" and "writerly" something-somethings while I was at it. Keep your eyes open; there will be challenges, games, and whatnot periodically here in RT and in Contemporary Literature, all with prizes. You just never know. :greenie

Snowstorm

Registered
Reaction score
Well, thank you so much, Ari! The mug is fantastic and the highest quality! I'll be drinking from it every morning with a wonderful feeling. Even the box is a keeper. I love the bag and I'll be proud to use it.

With the risk of getting sappy (yeah, I'm a dork), through the decades I've read so many books on the Soviet Union and how it restricted access to books. These past years I've read much, with horrific disgust, about North Korea. Celebrating our right to read what we wish is a right denied to so many around the world.

Ari and AW rocks!

Cup_zpsjdpfothr.jpg

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
See the smile? That's me being pleased that you're pleased, Snowstorm.

You're too kind. It's you and all the members of the AW community who rock. Mac, Lisa, all the mods, and I appreciate the heck out of each of you.

You all keep me here. I came to AW looking for help in being a better writer of fiction. I found out pdq I wasn't born with the storytelling gene; my abilities lie in another direction entirely . . . and that's okay. But, mostly, I'm a reader and I wish each and every one of you the very best success possible in your writing careers.

So, thank you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.