Stephen King - where to start?

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
If you like fantasy, I'd start with The Dark Tower series. If you like straight up horror, try Firestarter or Carrie. If those don't strike your fancy, some of my favorites are Needful Things, Lisey's Story, The Stand, or for YA-ish that introduces a recurring character in his work, The Eyes of the Dragon. The short story collections are all good - Different Seasons is a great one.

Lehssner

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read much of his stuff besides The Dark Tower series and IT. I can recommend both of those though. IT I loved especially because it's easier to get into than a long series like The Dark Tower. It's a very long book and although I was disappointed by the climax and the ending the journey was very much worth it. Reading what the others have wrote I now want to read Carrie but I can recommend both The Dark Tower and (especially) IT!!

Rob40

Registered
Reaction score
Website
roughdrift.wordpress.com
The basic popular ones.
Carrie, shining, stand, it, Claiborne, night shift.
and then hit the memoir.
It's a very good memoir. He is opinionated on how to write....very much a pantser. However what it does show you is how his mind creates. He explains a lot about how he go to each of those stories and some details within really clear up those questions of how he came up with this or that.
I am incapable of doing more than short stories pantsing. I have to change to plot for longer pieces to keep things organized...he has it all up there ready to go.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
King's early stuff was very good, and a place to start. In my opinion he has since become a TV and Movie writer with his still amazing ability to imagine stories but no great writing skill. I'd much rather (and do) read Dean Koontz who rivals his imagination with amazing wordsmithing skill.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
I also think lobster and fesh salmon are overrated so ...

- - - Updated - - -

... and I can't stand reading Dickens

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
IT was the first SK book I ever read and it scared the living shit out of me (I was twenty, very embarrassing LOL). Then I read Pet Sematary and suddenly didn’t trust my poor dog anymore, even though he wasn’t dead (I’m not even kidding). Those two and The Stand were my favourite novels, and Skeleton Crew was a decent anthology. I would say that I’ve read 20+ of his novels?

But I went off him. The Long Walk had too many ridiculous concepts, such as a brand new pair of sneakers wearing out over just a couple of days. Misery seemed like lazy writing, in that SK didn’t bother researching how a cow’s udder worked and just palmed it off onto the ignorant imagination of the MC. I hated that, but since I’ve started writing I can see it for what it is: a writing strategy. Some of the books he wrote under other names were absolute drivel.

So I went off him for a lot of years. Then my wife bought me 11/22/63 and it blew me away how well written that story was. I would probably put that at the top of my list, unless it’s freakout that you’re after, in which case IT wins: fucking Pennywise, if anyone ever told me that was their name I’d run a mile.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite was Rage which was under the pen name Richard Bachman. It's dark and disturbing, even by King standards. Shawshank Redemption is a great one. I've also liked Carrie, The Shining, Doctor Sleep, It, and On Writing. Joyland is decent too.

I've heard that The Stand is some of his best work but I have not read that one yet.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stephen King has early, mid, and late stuff that are all good.

If you don't want to read Carrie, read The Stand. One of his finest. Truly showcases what he is capable of.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
The first SK novel I read was Thinner. Now I'm reading It. I also have Wolves of the Calla but I haven't started reading it yet. It's a book my cousin left behind.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IT is really a great book. The character development is some of the finest I've seen in contemporary fiction.

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
My favorites are The Shining, The Dark Half, Misery, It, Doctor Sleep, The Stand, Salem's Lot, 11/22/63. Also really enjoyed the Dark Tower series and the Bill Hodges books. If possible, I suggest not to watch the film/TV adaptations before reading the corresponding books.

Last edited:

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I like King but the problem is his books are too long for someone like me with a short attention span. I'd read more of his stuff if his novels where shorter. One writer told me that "King's books are too long for the people who would read them." I reckon, but it hasn't slowed down his book sales.