where to submit to?

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
I have a little handful of stories that I've finished, polished, and are ready for submission. This is my first time submitting something and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at all the options. As a previously unpublished fiction writer, should I be submitting to smaller publications where I have more chance of getting published, or should I be trying for the bigger publications where if I make it I'll be seen by more people and it'll give me a bigger publishing credit? Or should my first priority just be getting published, no matter where? I really just don't know where to begin--so far I've been considering submitting to Asimov's, and have been filing through Absolute Write's stickies and the Submissions Grinder for other possibilities.

Thanks for your advice!

(ETA: when I said "stories" I meant short stories, in the 1,000 word range and below)

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding SCB's suggestion to find markets to match your work. Once you have a good list of those markets, read a lot of the past issues; and then submit from the top down.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
If you use the Submissions Grinder or Ralan.com sort it by pay rate - start at the top and work your way down to non-paying markets. It will take longer I'm sure, but try and find your work the best home possible - don't self-reject!

redrobin62

Registered
Reaction score
Website
seattlewordsmith.wordpress.com
Yes, I like Grinder. There are two issues I've found from them so far, though.
1. The response time is not as long as Grinder says they can be. Some publishers who say they take weeks or months to reply actually do so in days.
2. The word counts aren't accurate. I've found some markets listed that Grinder says accepts story lengths of novelettes or novellas when, in reality, 2K words is their limit.

ancon

Registered
Reaction score
may want to check out deadmule.com.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Submissions Grinder is really good. Ralan.com also.

Also, it might not be the best idea to aim for the top magazines. Stick with smaller venues and build up your publishing credits. If you keep submitting, you'll publish somewhere.

Best of luck!