R.I.P. Harry Dean Stanton

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Passed on, at age 91:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41288546

I had no idea he had lived so long, but a great and versatile character actor with a long, illustrious career. In addition to his famous turn in the original Alien he did great dramatic work in John Huston's adaptation of Flannery O'Connor's short novel Wise Blood, was wonderfully funny in Repo Man, and had lots of other fine moments.

caw

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
I've read that he had quite a life. To me, he'll always be Molly Ringwald's dad in Pretty in Pink.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
My good friend Bernadett and I once had the pleasure of sitting with Harry Dean Stanton at a bar in LA. We told him we were both actresses, and he talked with us about acting and sang the song, "Oh, Danny Boy" to us. Bernadett is a singer, and she told him that his rendition had a haunting beauty she had never heard before with that song. It was one of my fondest memories of living in LA.

He has had so many great roles in mainstream movies and lesser known indie films. It is remarkable how many people have given their final performances in Twin Peaks.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last year, Blondie guitarist Chris Stein posted a photo on the band's Facebook page of Stanton dancing with Debbie Harry. The fans (myself included) squeed in delight because one of her solo songs I Want That Man opens with the lyric "I wanna dance with Harry Dean/drive through Texas in a black limousine/I want a piece of heaven before I die." He posted the photo again earlier today in tribute.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score