Angry Robot 2017 Open Door

Saraphina_Marie

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I got my answer.
They passed on my book.

The longer explanation is that there were a handful of books they were still debating about, mine among them. They had pulled their definites out and sent those ahead (yay, Miguelito!) and were still sorting through the last few. So, noranne, if you haven't heard yet you should very soon, it didn't sound like there were many. And it was apparently just a big coincidence that me, TinaG, and noranne all subbed on the same day. Tina had a glitch but mine had not been decided on. I have no idea where that leaves noranne, only that they said there will still a few yet to be decided!

So they email acknowledged my note to them, explained the situation, and then the second paragraph was the standard form rejection.

I was far more devastated last week (there's, um, a LOT going on for me right now, most of it awful).
But I had made peace with it over the weekend and I was ready for the R. I'm chuffed that it went deep and they held it until the bitter end, because it was a huge longshot. It's not really a type of story that they usually publish, although what they publish is broad enough that I still sent it! So I'm going to celebrate my run and raise a glass to all y'all, as well.

I hope they decide to keep yours, noranne!!!!
And I hope you go all the way Migeulito!!!!

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Yep, I got an R on Monday! It was a form R, so no way of knowing whether they were catching up on a glitch or actually going over mine more closely, but I choose to think the latter. :) And on we go! Good luck, Miguelito!!

Saraphina_Marie

Registered
Reaction score
IT'S ALL YOU, MIGUELITO!!!!

We are all rooting for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saraphina_Marie

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I got an R on Monday! It was a form R, so no way of knowing whether they were catching up on a glitch or actually going over mine more closely, but I choose to think the latter. :) And on we go! Good luck, Miguelito!!

I agree that it was the latter. It appears to be a coincidence that we all subbed the same day.

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, because, "it's all on me" has led to such spectacular results before. :)

Thanks for the well wishes. Sorry to hear about those remaining Rs.

TinaG

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the condolences Miguelito best of luck I have my fingers crossed for you.
Sorry to hear of the R Noranne best of luck to you moving forward.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Actually i can't find much online about their picks either. Does anyone know? I'm curious how all those (thousands of) spent hours from writers and readers turned out.

kaysa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chlorociboria.com
I heard that AR is actually in some flux right now...something about the owner leaving or switching positions or something akin. Also maybe some issues with the imprint? Maybe a current AR author could shed more light?

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
The entire editorial team is moving offices from Nottingham to London - and none of the current people are going with it. It's all change I'm sad to say. How this affects the Open Doors I'm not too sure.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
That's exactly right. Everyone at AR is leaving, and new people at parent company Watkins Media are going to run the imprint from Watkins HQ in London. No idea if/how this impacts anyone still in the running for the Open Door I'm afraid.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Indeed. It might even (potentially) mean that the new imprint would consider a revised and agented version of the unagented/rejected OpenDoor submission.

I mean, that would be nice.

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's an onion in the ointment.

I haven't heard back from AR yet, so I have no idea what's happening with my submission.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
I've taken the liberty of contacting Watkins Media, who own Angry Robot, on all of your behalves. The state of play is this: Angry Robot will be following up with everyone still under consideration as part of the open submission period, which will be part of the job of the incoming commissioning editor. They have reiterated that one of Angry Robot's aims is in championing new voices and they will definitely continue to have open submission periods going forward.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
You are very welcome! It sucks to feel like you are in limbo or that your chance might have slipped away.
While it might mean a small delay, at least now you know it will be getting looked at in the new year. As always, *fingers crossed* for you.