Angry Robot 2017 Open Door

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed Dryad -

I do expect a R, and have from the get go, because my draft was so raw. (It was all of five months old.) It's been through multiple revisions and betas since and is in better shape with each week. And i'm still not ready to query! But the process has been good and AW gave such helpful feedback last year. Yay to AR for spurring us all on!

Last edited:

crystalizing

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed with both of you. But I suppose I can continue to cling to some bits of hope since I didn't submit until well into December - and I can just hope mine hasn't made it very far along the very big queue yet. At least that is what I will keep telling myself :)

BlueLobster

New Lobster; Anxious About Boxes
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, Jaine's hidden sun is coming out this September? I thought turn around from contact to pub was generally a year. They just announced. Is it normally that quick?

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Wait, Jaine's hidden sun is coming out this September? I thought turn around from contact to pub was generally a year. They just announced. Is it normally that quick?

The date when a novel is officially announced is not always the date when the contract was actually signed - sometimes that was months earlier. Publication date may also depend on when they have an open publication slot, and things like how much editing was needed; so if it did not require much in the way of structural edits and only needed some minor tweaks then that could shave months off the process.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering what that means for the rest of us entrees, since I'm assuming "last fall's Open Door" means 2017 since it looks like they didn't do one for 2016. That being said, it must have been damn impressive if they took up the offer that fast.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
My read on her article is that AR was finally the right fit, after not finding that fit elsewhere. And i agree with Harlequin - she'd been working on it for years, at least that is how it sounds to me. Elsewhere yesterday I read of someone finding a publisher after 174 rejection slips.

Arcs

Registered
Reaction score
I got my rejection today.

Oh well.

Arcs

Registered
Reaction score
Just a form letter. I can't recall ever getting anything helpful in any rejection, probably because one person pass is another's acceptance, and they're all too busy to give feedback anyway.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Sorry about the Rs guys. Table updated.

Genre
Submitted Date
Response Date
Outcome
MARothman
SF
November 1st
BlinkerBot
Space Opera
November 1st
January 22nd
R
AJ_Writes
Fantasy
November 6th
February 27th
R
Arcs
WTF
November 16th
March 20th R
DJGuest
WTF
November 16th
March 20thR
kaysa
Fantasy
November 21st
karlequin
Contemp SFF
November 27th
Dryad
Space Opera
November 27th
Amal22
Fantasy
November 29th
Anarchic Q
SF
December 1st
BlueLobster
SF
December 3rd
Camaria
Fantasy
December 4th
C.M. Dahmer
SF
December 5th
Raindrop
WTF
December 10th
Erin
SF
December 10th
Usefulidiot
SF
December 12th
chracatoa
SF
December 14th
RemusShepherd
SF
December 14th
AngryCumbrian
Fantasy
December 15th
Harlequin
WFT
December 17th
Skyfire
SF
December 18th
Yorkie1
SF
December 19th
crystalizing
WTF
December 20th
noranne
SF
December 21st
Mandamon
Fantasy
December 23rd
joeyc
Fantasy
December 24th
Belomar
Contemp Fant
December 25th
sideshowdarb
WTF
December 26th
TSJohnson
Mil SF
December 28th
Clovitide
SF
December 30th
Robinski
SF
December 30th
Enshanta
WTF
December 31st
Patty
SF
December 31st
Channy
SF
December 31st

chracatoa

COG: Sometimes, Heaven is Overrated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Near Puget Sound, in the beautiful Pacific Northwe
Sorry guys. For perspective, Hodderscape had an open submission in 2015 where they received 1500 submissions, and only 8 made it, or 0.5%.

In the end, this is a numbers game. Here's to hoping that at least one of us here make it, although the odds are against us.

On the other hand, "never tell me the odds!" :)

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry guys. For perspective, Hodderscape had an open submission in 2015 where they received 1500 submissions, and only 8 made it, or 0.5%.

In the end, this is a numbers game. Here's to hoping that at least one of us here make it, although the odds are against us.

On the other hand, "never tell me the odds!" :)

And that's 8 full manuscripts they called in to read - not 8 that got published!

DJGuest

Dear A_G_E_N_T, I read your rej...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
darrenjguest.wordpress.com
Cheers all. Still have one other publisher looking at the full, and a quality agent interested. After that, I think it might be time for a genre change for me. Good luck to the rest of you!

crystalizing

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the Rs guys. DJ good luck with the other publisher/agent. Do you have some other genre stories you want to tell (or have already written?).

DJGuest

Dear A_G_E_N_T, I read your rej...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
darrenjguest.wordpress.com
crystal: I have two literary horror novels, for which I did gain a literary agent for, but he didn't manage to sell the first novel and I wasn't confident he could sell the second one either, so I left the agency. This was my first venture into SFF, but I've got a Southern Gothic fairytale started, and an outline for a psychological suspense thriller. Not sure which direction to take next...

Last edited:

crystalizing

Registered
Reaction score
Well hopefully whatever your next step it is one that is inspiring and fun for you!

Mandamon

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the R's, everyone. As for the data, it's interesting that they seem to be reading through the entries in order of submission. Getting more nervous!