K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Word Count: 95k
MC male, undefined PoC
Third person, single POV
Aliens - No, but visitor in a strange land.
Sci-fi (Dystopia.)

Robinski

Registered
Reaction score
Word Count: 88,600
MC: male, not defined, but implied bi
Third person
POVs: Five (5)
No Aliens (but androids, non-AI)
Sci-fi (Space Opera)

Usefulidiot

Registered
Reaction score
82k, male MC, first person present, single POV,no aliens (but some weird indigenous humanoids), Sci-Fi

BlueLobster

New Lobster; Anxious About Boxes
Registered
Reaction score
I completely forgot about London Book Fair! Will they also be out for BookExpo?

Thanks for all the data! I'm currently formatting and will post random analytics as I go and as I get more.

As for the other data, the bullseye chart was useful (and a good Nov showing compared to us), but most of my FB author friends submitted the first week of November. I'll pull their data too if they let me. It does make me wonder if there's a timing aspect associated with site usage (i.e. FB people submit earlier vs. AW who submit later?). I'll see what I can do and share the data.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Based on our table, I'd estimate that months had heavier submissions in the first and last couple days. So we'd be seeing 'U' patterning (W almost for the two months together) with the largest spike toward the end of December (because a good chunk of us used as much time as we were given).

If 400 were said to have been read of 1086, I'd believe it. While our table has 25% of subs happening in Nov, other charts I've see are actually Nov heavy in comparison (to our chart, not overall). Plus, we have a large gap in the first two weeks of Nov. This could actually be a statement about AW more than about submissions patterns, but I'd love to pull together a spreadsheet from everywhere that's tracking this. Either way - the comparison would be 36% (on their end) done in Nov vs. our 25%. Not only is that different not significant in a 95% confidence interval, the gap in our chart and the fact that not all Rs from those 400 manuscripts likely were out suggests around 36% of submissions occurred in November. Considering November was approximately 50% of the time available, 36% would be a reasonable.

Based on form letters (which are name specific), they either send as they go or have a database lump send. To keep 1086 manuscripts organized, I think a database would be easiest to use - best way to sort by genre, reader, etc. However, if they're doing a database lump send, we can't necessarily assume the Rs come out in a manner which clearly correlates to the time of reading (beyond that it's after). They might have particular dates to send Rs or a particular # of Rs which they hit before sending their lump send. Without confirmation, this is difficult to determine unless we're able to look at the email's coding or have confirmation from AR.

If all listed 1086 subs are those which are after the base cull (i.e. those with blatant errors), then our spread goes Nov 1 - Dec 31 with ~400 being read Jan-March (i.e. by Easter Con). That would assume 3 months (89 days from Jan 1 - March 30 (Easter Con)). Average read rate if they began on Jan 1st is 4.5 MS a day. While it's unlikely they worked every single day, the holidays therein should roughly mimic those in later months, which would suggest that to complete their reading list they'll end around 241-242 days from their start point (rough Jan 1st). This would be August 30th or 31st. This, of course, assumes a constant rate, which isn't likely due to individual readers taking vacations and manuscripts having varying lengths. The strike length guidelines minimizes variance there, but only so much as to narrow the window.

Our chart doesn't contain word count, so I can't analyze the possibility of a relationship between MS length and submissions date (though I'd love the data for that).

Based on the chart, we're being read in order of submission. This is good. This means they likely didn't separate preferential categories right off, but it doesn't guarantee that they are reading the full manuscripts every time. Knowing this won't necessarily disrupt the average reading rate. We can't be certain that there's a date/interest correlation. Some previous stats on submissions (not AR or publishing correlated) suggest people are more likely to remember and pick from submissions that are given at the beginning (i.e. the first ones they read) and at the end. However, there are multiple readers, so a split there likely happens by genre.

This is just my beginning logic. I plan on analyzing the chart more specifically. Some additional data I think would be interesting (if you guys are up for the distraction like I am) could be: 1) word count; 2) MC female, male, nonbinary, etc; 3) 3rd person, 1st person, (2nd person?); 4) multiple POVs, single POV; 5) aliens vs no aliens (personal question really).

Wow.

They've got a lot of work. Kudos to AR for their hard work. Kudos BlueLobster for your analysis.

(me - 97K, 3rd person dual PoV, 1 male/1 female; no overt #ownvoices, mostly genetic engineering/colonization of future planet. Aliens? Depends how you define. Humans evolved to a new world. Not really aliens.

HUGE CLIMATE CHANGE THREAT!)

So granular, wow.

I keep revising and see more marketability in each iteration of my project. Don't know when that particular trend levels off. I am on the steepest initial part of the learning curve, which is fun in its own way.

Last edited:

crystalizing

Registered
Reaction score
You rock. Talk about precision.

Ha - I could only ball park guess from memory because I haven't looked at it since submitting (been working on other projects) - so I just opened my submission first page and it was right there.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Word count: 92k
MC female
1st POV past tense
Humans and minor humanlike aliens
SF (off-planet colonization with fantasy elements)

Last edited:

Skyfire

Registered
Reaction score
This is an interesting distraction. Thanks :) It's nice reading the various stats of your guy's stories. Even if we're not chosen to be published, it'd be cool if we could all share our various books with each other for fun or critique.

Word Count: 90,000
Main Character: Male (Bisexual)
Mix between 3rd Person Omniscient (for introductions, setting, character) and Limited 3rd (strictly for deeper character). Past Tense.
Humans, as well as evolved humans (the Gifted). I do have a very prominent AI character as well.
SFF, or Science Fantasy as an umbrella term. Cyberpunk at its core.

BlueLobster

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, my chart is forming, but it would be really useful to get more information from the Nov folks if we want anything close to predictive.

Right now, I have 2 males for every female MC; an average WC of 92, 813; 67% 3rd person, and one vote away from an even split on aliens vs. no aliens (not counting evolved humans as aliens).

kaysa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chlorociboria.com
November people? Here!

Word count: 90k
MC: nonbinary
Tense: 1st person past
Aliens: no, just humans
Genre: fantasy (dark fantasy, if it matters)

Mandamon

Registered
Reaction score
Sure, I'll play.
Wordcount - 129,000k
MC: 2 female (sisters), one male (one female is lesbian)
3rd person past
3 POVs
All human, but secondary world.
Epic Fantasy

SPBspec

Registered
Reaction score
Word Count : 94k
MC : Femaile
POV: 3rd
Single POV
No Aliens but non-human creatures

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I'll join the game of stats.

Word Count: 105k
MC: Dual Narrative (male and male).
POV: 3rd person.
2 primary POVs (3 other characters get a POV when it's absolutely necessary for information)
Fantasy, so no aliens but a scattering of non-human races.

BlueLobster

Registered
Reaction score
What I have so far - let's see if this goes well. (My first time trying to put a table on here)

MemberGenreSubmitted DateResponse DateOutcomeWord CountMCPerson PerspectivePOVAliens?
MARothmanSFNovember 1st
BlinkerBotSpace OperaNovember 1stJanuary 22ndR
AJ_WritesFantasyNovember 6thFebruary 27thR
ArcsWTFNovember 16thMarch 20thR
DJGuestWTFNovember 16thMarch 20thR
kaysaFantasyNovember 21st 90,000Nonbinary1st pastSingleNo
karlequinContemp SFFNovember 27thApril 7thR
DryadSpace OperaNovember 27thApril 7thR
Amal22FantasyNovember 29thApril 7thR
Anarchic QSFDecember 1stApril 8thR95,000Male3rd pastSingleNo
SPBspecHist FantDecember 1st 94,000Female3rd pastSingleNo
BlueLobsterSFDecember 3rd 85,000Female3rd pastSingleYes
CamariaFantasyDecember 4th
C.M. DahmerSFDecember 5th
RaindropWTFDecember 10th 87,000Male3rd pastMultiple Yes
ErinSFDecember 10th 92,000Female1st pastSingleYes
UsefulidiotSFDecember 12th 82,000Male1st presentSingleNo
chracatoaSFDecember 14th 108,000Male1st presentSingleYes
RemusShepherdSFDecember 14th
AngryCumbrianFantasyDecember 15th
HarlequinWFTDecember 17th 106,000Dual 3rd pastMultipleYes
SkyfireSFDecember 18th 90,000Male3rd pastSingleNo
Yorkie1SFDecember 19th
crystalizingWTFDecember 20th 102,963Female1st pastSingleYes
noranneSFDecember 21st
MandamonFantasyDecember 23rd 129,000Dual3rd pastMultipleNo
joeycFantasyDecember 24th 105,000Dual3rd pastMultipleNo
BelomarContemp FantDecember 25th
sideshowdarbWTFDecember 26th
TSJohnsonMil SFDecember 28th
ClovitideSFDecember 30th
RobinskiSFDecember 30th 88,600Male3rd pastMultipleNo
EnshantaWTFDecember 31st 80,204Female3rd pastMultipleYes
PattySFDecember 31st 97,000Dual3rd pastMultipleNo
ChannySFDecember 31st

Last edited:

BlueLobster

Registered
Reaction score
By the way, whenever I get spam, my heart flips. :e2thud:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
By the way, whenever I eat spam, my ... Oh never mind.

llawrence

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted (barely) on December 31st. No response yet. My manuscript:

• Fantasy (low/historical)
  • 92k words
  • Female MC
  • Third person, limited POV
  • Past tense

Commiserations to those with Rs, and best of luck to those still standing!

Yorkie1

Registered
Reaction score
Since I submitted, I signed with an agent (yay!) and I'm editing my MS based on her suggestions.

My submission details:

• Submitted on December 19th
  • No response yet
  • SciFi (steampunk)
  • 103k words
  • Dual MC's - female & male
  • Third person limited POV
  • Past tense
  • Both humans and aliens
My condolences to all who have received R's, and fingers crossed for those still standing!

Last edited:

ByTXP

Strange Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Yorkie!

I'm new to the forums, but you can add my info to the table:

Submission Date: Nov. 22; haven't heard back yet
Genre: Fantasy (epic)
Word Count: 111,000
MC: Female
POV: Multiple, third-person past